Mobile Phone Plans

1,808 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Pilot
Thomas Sowell, PhD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Paying $140 (for 2 lines) unlimited data with Verizon.

Better suggestions in Houston area?
zooguy96
Cricket.

Bring your own phone. $80/month, two lines, 22 gigs/month, then unlimited at slower speed.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
BEaggie08
AG
If you're a big data user, Cricket's data is atrocious (slow and no HD - and that's before they throttle it).
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
I don't know how I'm using 12 GB per month. It's not like I'm watching video away from WiFi very often.
Are there "drains" that get overlooked frequently?
ABKitch
AG
Project Fi (by Google) is awesome.

You have to buy your own phone (Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Pixel), but your small monthly bill will easily pay for that in no time. They have shared plans and I believe it's just as cheap to add another person on as the original plan. I pay $30 a month for basic service and 1GB of data, and if I go over, they just bill at the same rate ($10 per GB, partial charges) and even credit back any unused data to your account. Have had some months where my bill was less than $30 because I was on WiFi so much!

Here is my referral link where we both get $20 credit if you sign up and stay for 30 days.

https://g.co/fi/r/3K01XT
jja79
AG
I have no idea if this is good or bad but I pay $110/month for 2 lines with unlimited data plus each phone has10 GB hotspot per month on TMobile.
AggieDruggist89
AG
6 lines, we own the phones, 6GB per month per line. Most live streaming like YouTube do not use up data.

T-mobile $160 per month.

International was awesome . Unlimited data, free calls to US #.

zooguy96
I have no issue with Cricket's data speed. But, what do I know.
evan_aggie
AG
Have any speed tests to share?
zooguy96
Nope. All I know is that it's plenty fast for what I use it for. The occasional video and watching a show on DTV Now sans wireless.
BEaggie08
AG
zooguy96 said:

Nope. All I know is that it's plenty fast for what I use it for. The occasional video and watching a show on DTV Now sans wireless.
I don't doubt that it's fine for you, and for a lot of people. I use 40 GB a month, myself, easy, so it just a non-starter for me. I'm also not a fan of the quality limitations and slow speed on prepaid plans. If you're okay with that, and used to it, great. I'd much rather pay Cricket prices, but I think I've bottomed out with T-Mobile from a value perspective. I do miss Verizon though - unmatched coverage and reliability - but damn they're proud of it.
jaggiemaggie
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

6 lines, we own the phones, 6GB per month per line. Most live streaming like YouTube do not use up data.

T-mobile $160 per month.

How is T-Mobile's coverage? Currently with AT&T, living in Houston but travel to Dallas and East texas to visit family

TX scallywAG
AG
That's a solid price for Verizon. It's the best in Houston hands down.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
Stasco
AG
zooguy96 said:

Cricket.

Bring your own phone. $80/month, two lines, 22 gigs/month, then unlimited at slower speed.
Cricket is AT&T service, with the data throttled to 8Mbps. That's plenty fast for full Youtube 1080p in my experience.

But feel free to continue paying more.
ktownag08
AG
Once my Verizon contract is up in September, we're ditching them in favor of Project Fi. We're often on WiFi and don't use that much data per month. Worst case it sucks and we take our new phones elsewhere.
khkman22
AG
zooguy96 said:

Cricket.

The new Unlimited 2 plan throttles speeds to 3Mbps and SD quality video. Normal users are at 8Mbps. I've been on Cricket for a little over a year and I'm fine with their service. Had AT&T prior and an upgraded tower near my house that got me 80Mbps down, but there's not much point to it for normal phone usage. I haven't been switched over to the data save feature on video yet, but when they do, I'll turn it off. I rarely use more than 2GB a month. The only thing I wish I had was a constant ability for hotspot without having to change plans or add a feature.
zooguy96
Well, again, works for me. The wife is only working part time and is on my benefits (I'm a teacher), so cost is the only thing I'm looking at right now.
AggieDruggist89
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

T-mobile $160 per month.

How is T-Mobile's coverage? Currently with AT&T, living in Houston but travel to Dallas and East texas to visit family

Im in California and frequently travel from Northern to Southern Cal... almost 400 mile stretch. About 5 minutes of dead zone. Look at the coverage map. It's pretty accurate. Pretty awesome in every major cities.

Oh, also have hot spot. Since all major video streaming is free data including espn, directv, youtube.. we hardly ever use 6GB per line.
eric76
AG
Mine is $125 a year. It's not unlimited, but I don't use much more than about half of my time and messages.
Shawdaddy
AG
Has anyone given an in depth look to the new Comcast cell service? It sounds kind of intriguing, but I would hate to start giving them more of my money after ditching tv service a couple of years ago. Still use them for internet.
devastor
AG
Pay $100 for two lines (50 ea).

-500 minutes (free mobile to mobile)
-Unlimited Text
-Unlimited Data
-Unlimited Roaming
-Free Global Roaming including 2G/3G Data

Sprint Legacy SERO Plan (sorry, not sorry)
will.mcg
AG
Unlimited data with no cap?
The Pilot
AG
Had AT&T before finally ditching them and went on a circuit to try out the best pay as you go service.

I tried both TPO and Ting, both use either Sprint or T-Mobile. They were ok but my cell phone service was a bit spotty and data wouldn't work in areas where I had no problem previously.

I gave Cricket a try and while it's slightly more expensive than Ting and TPO, overall the service is better.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.