Issue with writing retropie to SD card

1,840 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Charlie Delta
Charlie Delta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm trying to use win32diskimager to write retropie to a micro SD card for a raspberry pi 3. When the write finishes, it says the write was successful, but when I verify the write, I get an error message like "failed sector 8192." How do I fix this?
Average Joe
AG
I had issues writing to mine with that. Wasn't the same error, but EaseUs wrote just fine.
Charlie Delta
Average Joe said:

I had issues writing to mine with that. Wasn't the same error, but EaseUs wrote just fine.

EaseUs can write the image with the free version?

Also, should it matter the type of SD card reader you use? Any chance my card reader is somehow changing some small part of the image so the checksums aren't matching between the two images?
ntxVol
I have never had a problem like that imaging a disk from Linux and I wouldn't expect windoze to be any different with the proper tool. It is odd that the bad sector falls on a binary number but that is likely just a coincidence. I would try a 2nd SD card first, if you get the exact same error, then try a different card reader.

I suspect it is more likely a bad sector than a bad card reader.
Charlie Delta
ntxVOL said:

I have never had a problem like that imaging a disk from Linux and I wouldn't expect windoze to be any different with the proper tool. It is odd that the bad sector falls on a binary number but that is likely just a coincidence. I would try a 2nd SD card first, if you get the exact same error, then try a different card reader.

I suspect it is more likely a bad sector than a bad card reader.

It happened with two different cards and two different programs: Etcher and win32diskimager. I guess it is the card reader.
Charlie Delta
Tried a different card reader on one of the same memory cards. Same error. Not sure WTF is going on.
ntxVol
That is odd, I don't really have any advice for you other than trying a different image.
Charlie Delta
ntxVOL said:

That is odd, I don't really have any advice for you other than trying a different image.

I never got rid of the error, but I tested the SD card and retropie worked fine anyway.
getme
I like Etcher for writing SD card images for Raspberry Pi, simple interface very reliable.
Charlie Delta
getme said:

I like Etcher for writing SD card images for Raspberry Pi, simple interface very reliable.

Etcher kept giving me a message about potential compatibility issues with the image it burned after the verification stage. The image worked anyway though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.