Best TV on the market

2,480 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by NTXAggie14
NTXAggie14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry if this has been posted on here prior but I am looking to purchase a 60-65 in. Smart TV soon. I will be upgrading from a 45 in. LG that I have had for past 8 years. However I am not very savvy in this space and was wondering which brand and model I should be looking at - budget is $750 - $1500. TIA
FatZilla
AG
Watch here. https://slickdeals.net/ and check out the "Hot Deals" forum on there as well, you can search it for keywords like OLED to find deals not on the front page yet and you can set alerts if you register for when any new thread appears in those forums with key words.

Find yourself the best OLED TV that fits your needs. OLED 4k should future proof the TV for a good many years. If you dont care about 4k, grab the best OLED deal you can find from any of the main brands.
hph6203
AG
OLED for that size and price range is not going to be doable, not any time soon. You'd have to up your budget by about 1000 to get close.

If you want the best TV available in that price range, you're looking for 4K (not that important), HDR and Color Spectrum (More important), and the measured contrast (as important or more important than color spectrum). Use www.rtings.com and www.avsforums.com to get impressions on the TVs you're considering.

Don't listen to anyone that tells you to skip Smart TV functionality, or 4K, or HDR, because they don't know what they're talking about. TV manufacturers don't segment their product lines like that. You can't get a quality display (relative to the market) without Smart or 4K functionality. Picture quality will progressively degrade as you remove HDR, Smart, and 4K (generally in that order).

Vizio, Sony, and Samsung are your best bets. LG focuses on their OLEDs more than their LCDs. TCL just released a P-series TV that got great scores, but their 65 inch model hasn't been released yet.
Cromagnum
AG
hph6203 said:

OLED for that size and price range is not going to be doable, not any time soon. You'd have to up your budget by about 1000 to get close.

If you want the best TV available in that price range, you're looking for 4K (not that important), HDR and Color Spectrum (More important), and the measured contrast (as important or more important than color spectrum). Use www.rtings.com and www.avsforums.com to get impressions on the TVs you're considering.

Don't listen to anyone that tells you to skip Smart TV functionality, or 4K, or HDR, because they don't know what they're talking about. TV manufacturers don't segment their product lines like that. You can't get a quality display (relative to the market) without Smart or 4K functionality. Picture quality will progressively degrade as you remove HDR, Smart, and 4K (generally in that order).

Vizio, Sony, and Samsung are your best bets. LG focuses on their OLEDs more than their LCDs. TCL just released a P-series TV that got great scores, but their 65 inch model hasn't been released yet.

He's going to have to up his budget more than that for an OLED in that size. They are still $4-5k. Also, HDR does not matter in the least if you aren't playing content that is coded for it. In fact it will make non-HDR material way too dark.
ktownag08
AG
By using Slickdeals, I snagged the LGOLED65C6P for ~$1750. Paid $2099 + tax at Fry's and then did a $500 price protection claim on my credit card against TV Superstores.

It was simple and I have a really nice 65" OLED TV now for 1750. It's doable, but had to check Slickdeals every day.

Also, use www.rtings.com to help.
NTXAggie14
AG
Thank y'all for the replys. Anything right now will be an upgrade over what I have right now. OLED TVs are nice but are out of my price range. We have been looking at Samsung and Sony.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
I know you said you're looking for a 60"+ TV but if you're willing to go down to 55" you can get a good deal on an OLED for $1700 which will come with a $400 Dell gift card that you can use on anything from Xbox One and PS4 consoles to laptops and software.

https://r.zdbb.net/u/2t6j?or=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ign.com%2Farticles%2F2017%2F07%2F21%2Fdaily-deals-nintendo-switch-in-stock-for-29999-2
FatZilla
AG
Can trade that in for reduced cash amount on some websites too.
hph6203
AG
Cromagnum said:

hph6203 said:

He's going to have to up his budget more than that for an OLED in that size. They are still $4-5k. Also, HDR does not matter in the least if you aren't playing content that is coded for it. In fact it will make non-HDR material way too dark.
The 2016 model OLED has been priced at $2500 previously, its not out of the question it would be available at that price somewhere.

I'm not saying to turn on a TV's HDR functionality to interpret SDR content as if it were HDR content. The point I'm making is that people say "Don't buy an HDR TV there's no content for it." or "Buy a dumb TV, you can get a Roku that's better than any smart TV software". What they're missing is that as you remove HDR, 4K, and smart features you not only lose those features, but a myriad of other things that TV manufacturers have done to ensure a better picture quality.

A SDR 1080P Bluray is going to look better on a Samsung Q7 than on a MU6300, despite both having the capability to reproduce the color and resolution that it was mastered for.
AgsWin2011
AG
I noticed Best Buy is having their Black Friday in July sale. Been watching for a good 4K deal for awhile and may pull the trigger. I've always had Samsung or Sony but have really been looking into LG.

$2,499.99 marked down to $1,599.99 for LG 65" model no. 65SJ8500

Or

$2,199.99 marked down to $1,599.99 for Samsung 65" model no. UN65MU8000FXZA

What do you nerds think would be a better TV for me? I like to game (PS4 Pro and Xbox One S) and we stream all of our tv via PS Vue, Netflix and Kodi. We will also buy some 4K bluray movies I'm sure. Anyone have experience with either of these TVs or just an opinion on LG (non OLED) vs Samsung?
Madmarttigan
AG
ktownag08 said:

By using Slickdeals, I snagged the LGOLED65C6P for ~$1750. Paid $2099 + tax at Fry's and then did a $500 price protection claim on my credit card against TV Superstores.

It was simple and I have a really nice 65" OLED TV now for 1750. It's doable, but had to check Slickdeals every day.

Also, use www.rtings.com to help.

So the credit card company took a price from one of the scammy websites that sell the tvs at such a low price?
ktownag08
AG
Yes! Read comments section on Slickdeals and on Reddit. Pretty common practice actually.
OasisMan
AG
The 55" LG OLED was just on Slickdeals for ~1500 for TV + $400 Dell gift card
NTXAggie14
AG
We ended up getting the Sony XBR65X900E - we liked it over the LG .. thanks for the advice y'all
AgsWin2011
AG
It's probably early but how are you liking it so far? Did you get a good deal? It's on sale for $1,999 at Best Buy through today.
Agmaniacmike12
hph6203 said:

Fry's had the 2016 65" C6P OLED for $2099 about a month ago, with price protection you could get it down to around $1600 at the time. Sales on the 2016 models have been fairly frequent on the 2016 models, but the rumors are that the stock level is very low at this point.

I'll see if I can find the exact TV, but there are nice 2017 Sony's around the top end of your price range OP.
ktownag08
AG
This is the exact deal I referenced above. You had to pay tax, but still came out to ~$1750.
Agmaniacmike12
ktownag08 said:

This is the exact deal I referenced above. You had to pay tax, but still came out to ~$1750.
This deal is what prompted me to get a credit card. I'm hoping it will come back again before the stock dries up. They had a special yesterday on the 55" for $1199 and it sold out in all of the Texas locations, which makes me think that the sale was a final clearance. The 3D on those 2016 OLEDs is top notch, completely changes the idea that it was a gimmick.
ktownag08
AG
When I got mine, I was told it was the last one in the Houston area. Had to drive to a store further away. Very happy with it!
NTXAggie14
AG
We close on our home next Friday and will be having it shipped to us. We got it at Best Buy for 1998.00 - they price matched Amazon. After tax it was approx. $2200.
Agmaniacmike12
NTXAggie14 said:

We close on our home next Friday and will be having it shipped to us. We got it at Best Buy for 1998.00 - they price matched Amazon. After tax it was approx. $2200.
That was the one I was going to recommend. Congrats on a nice TV purchase.
NTXAggie14
AG
I appreciate it - we can't wait to get it.
AgsWin2011
AG
I ended up pulling the trigger on the Sony X850E in the 75" model.

I had decided to go with the X900E in the 65" but my wife asked why I wasn't going bigger than 65" since we already have a 60" in the living room (kinda turned me on, not gonna lie).

Got to Best Buy and they had these 2 tv's right next to each other. While the 900E had a slightly better picture, I couldn't resist the 75" 850E. I would have gone with the 900E at 75" but to me it wasn't worth the extra $1,000-1,500.

Got a pretty good deal I think. It was $2,499 marked down from $3,499. Plus 24 month zero percent financing is nice so I didn't have to put down a large chunk of money.

Movies and video games look awesome. Still trying to find the right color and lighting settings but so far really enjoying it.
NTXAggie14
AG
I agree we were also looking at the 75 in. model for the X850 but we liked the picture better on the 65in. - congrats on your purchase we are ready to get moved in and watch the TV.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.