hey web people...

1,626 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by studioone
studioone
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I'm wanting to update my website...

my original website was in html code... so doesn't work with SEO stuff much...

so i found a company that will take it and put it into wordpress.... but they charge $2500 to do so..

so are they just going to hit 'C' to copy, then 'V' to paste into a template they downloaded off the internet, and then charge me $2500 to do so?

or do they do other stuff, such as sub programs in the website that help increase traffic?

I need an updated website so that THEN i can get SEO stuff working...

I cant do SEO stuff (no time) but i can hit copy and paste and make my own... i just want to know if there is something else they do that i dont know about...
Jabe Allen
What kind of SEO are you hoping to do or add to your site?

One thing to know is that your site doesn't actually require something like Wordpress to be able to do any search engine optimization. Every website ends up as HTML when it is loaded in a browser, and everything that you could want to do (or that someone may be telling you to do) to the site in terms of SEO can completely be done through regular HTML page files. Wordpress DOES make it easier to perform different aspects of SEO as a content management system, especially if you do not have the necessary coding experience, but as a whole all Wordpress is actually doing is providing the user interface to help generate the necessary HTML on the site.

As far as what the company is wanting to do with your site, are they doing a full redesign of the site or just integrating the current site design with Wordpress? If it is a full redesign, then I would say that there is definitely a good chance that they will just pick out a pre-designed theme that they've purchased and copy/paste your site's existing content into it.

Another piece of advice that I would give is that you should be asking these exact same questions to the actual company, and I would highly recommend getting everything that they are planning to do in writing in the form of a formal project proposal. For $2,500, they should absolutely be providing details as far as how the site will be implemented. Is a new design fully custom or based on a pre-designed theme? What all will you have control over on the site (page content, add/remove pages, site navigation, rotating slideshows)? What are they specifically doing to enhance SEO for the site? If you are having trouble getting specifics from them in terms of implementation, or if they do not insist on any kind of signed contract or proposal, those are huge red flags. I've been doing web design and development for 9 years, and I can't tell you how many clients I've talked to that get screwed over because they don't even know what they should be asking.

I know that's a lot of information, but hope it helps!
adamsbq06
AG
wordpress? why don't you do it yourself? Thats the cool thing about Wordpress.

Buy a template from template monster that fits what you are trying to do... it comes with support so if you need help modifying CSS or something they can help. then simply add your content... if you sat downing did it you could probably get a lot done in 8 hours...

if this is intimidating send a PM to n_touch he is on this board.
redd38
AG
studioone said:

so are they just going to hit 'C' to copy, then 'V' to paste into a template they downloaded off the internet, and then charge me $2500 to do so?

When someone hires you for a wedding do you just point your camera and click a button then charge $2500 to do so?

If you want a website you can certainly do it yourself, if you want wedding photos one could certainly do it themselves. But in both cases if you want a better result you hire a professional to do the job and pay a premium to have it done right.
adamsbq06
AG
Very few Wordpress companies start from scratch a lot of them use these that get them 70-80% complete then do tweaks here and there to finish it. Wordpress is powerful because if you have a theme you like install it and the only thing left to change is the content in a WYSIWYG editor.
redd38
AG
BBatt2006 said:

Very few Wordpress companies start from scratch a lot of them use these that get them 70-80% complete then do tweaks here and there to finish it. Wordpress is powerful because if you have a theme you like install it and the only thing left to change is the content in a WYSIWYG editor.
And cameras are so easy you can just point and click and add a filter to make it look pretty. I'm not sure why OP even needs a website since everyone can take their own pictures as good as his.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
There is nothing magical about wordpress.

Wordpress is just a PHP app that is highly extensible and has a nice FE so folks that don't like seeing code can still create nice sites.

Anything that you can build in wordpress can be built using NOTEPAD if you know all the content you want to put in it ahead of time. Don't ever do that - the point is just that it isn't like doing it in Wordpress makes Google say "now we'll bump you pu the rankings".

You could probably set up a wordpress site, do your own setup for the most part and then find somebody that does this stuff on the side and give them a few hundred to get it cleaned up a bit and add some SEO stuff. I know plenty of folks that call themselves web developers and they just mean they install wordpress sites - find one of those guys.

I don't mean this to sound harsh, but based on the OP I would suggest you either find someone or at least spend some time reading up on the subject and getting a handle on it if you want to do it yourself. There is a reason people make a living doing this stuff.
eric76
AG
It's difficult for me to see that just putting it in wordpress would help that much on page rankings.

Isn't one of the common tactics used by SEO companies to merely create links to it from a bunch of other web pages?

By the way, I set up a web page in the late 1990s on a certain topic in mathematics. For years, if you searched with Google on that topic, the link to that web page near the top of the first page. It must have impressed some people because I was asked to review journal articles on the subject on occasion.

About four or five years ago, I revamped my web pages and removed that page from my web site. After four or five years of the page no longer being there, if you do a Google search on the topic, it's now on the third page of results.
fig96
AG
WordPress has little to nothing to do with SEO rankings, other than possibly allowing a company to more easily update content and use plugins to help seed SEO content.

Google places a lot of importance on how many sites link to your content, assuming (generally correctly) that sites with more relevant content will have more places referring to them for information.

For the OP, $2500 isn't at all expensive for a website, even porting over existing content into WordPress, setting everything up, and tweaking requires a fair amount of time.

But as mentioned the company you're talking to should give you a detailed quote or statement of work that explains exactly what services they'll be providing. Be sure to check references or other sites they've done as well, there's lots of folks out there who have no idea what they're doing.
n_touch
Agree with most of the above. I think $2500 is a probably high though for what you may be getting, but without knowing it all it is hard to say. I have done the same thing in the past for other clients and charged half of that. Most of it comes down to the size of the site and what all their needs are going forward. Email me your website address and I will take a look. sales (@) ntouchmarketing.com
studioone
redd38 said:

BBatt2006 said:

And cameras are so easy you can just point and click and add a filter to make it look pretty. I'm not sure why OP even needs a website since everyone can take their own pictures as good as his.

sarcasm... yay for sarcasm...

its not for the photography aspect, its for my wedding venue website...
studioone
well... here's the site..

www.avalonweddingsbcs.com

its done in code from before wordpress... thats all i know..

yes, i could design it, probably better than the company I'm talking to can, but i lack the time to do so...

i also am assuming, which is probably bad on my part, that not only are they copying and pasting, which shouldn't take 5 minutes, that they are adding stuff INTO the program of the wordpress platform that will improve the website for more visibility. BUT i have NO idea what that would entail, nor would i care to learn... I'm not a programmer, im a gardener and photographer who takes care of his wedding venue and takes photos out there.

if its as easy as downloading a template and cutting and pasting, yes i can do that and would rather do that myself if thats all they are doing.

but my original question was what can be done to pimp out my website BEFORE SEO is implemented..

because the company seems to only do the wordpress platform installation, and then I can ADD SEO if i wanted it. SEO is done by another company thats actually in the same office...

so the company wants to copy my coded website onto wordpress, which i can do... and save $2500... unless they're doing a LOT more than that. I just dont know what can be done. AFTER the website is finished, i can pay the other company to do some form of SEO... if i want it... its extra though...

so we're trying to pimp out the website using wordpress and whatever can be used before it goes to an SEO company..

now back in the spring i had to migrate the site from another server to the new company, because the old company wasnt hosting websites anymore. When it moved, something got lost. For the past week or so I've been trying to use google analytics to research stuff, but the data got removed and the code that ran the stuff got deleted... took a friend of mine most of a week in his spare time to fix it... there is no earthly way i could have ever done it. I dont program... I grow plants and take photos of them...

so whatever can be done, the less i am involved, the better... i dont have the background, time, or patience to make a fully functioning, SEO happy website that works with everything. People keep saying, 'oh, theres programs you can use to ...' and then i have to repeat, 'I dont want to do it..., i cant do it, and i dont have time to do it..'...

thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
studioone
so is it worth redoing? design is ok, but i've seen much better, more simple websites....

but i just want a few more customers.... so...

its hard to update, and i dont have time to blog as much as i should.. and blogs are not necessarily whats needed.. twitting and instagaming and whatever seems to be the vogue, and i do NOT do that stuff...

but its apparently needed for a easily found website..
n_touch
It is worth redoing, but without knowing what all they are offering you it is hard to say if they are completely wrong on the price. I would say it is high, but just as your business, you charge what you think you can get. Is it worth it in the long run, only you can determine that. Will a new website at that cost bring in more customers than a new website at a lower cost?
fig96
AG
Couple thoughts, and to back up my comments I'll mention I'm a senior designer in the marketing department of a tech firm. This is what I do.

- Worth noting from the start that it looks like your site was built in Drupal, another Content Management System somewhat similar to WordPress. You should have a login to that somewhere.

- The design isn't awful but it's pretty dated, and the big thing I get is a lack of hierarchy; everything in the header and navigation is the same font, same weight, same colors, so I don't know what's important and what's not. The body copy is the same way, no clear differentiation between headers, links, and body copy.

- Navigation needs some reworking. Think in terms of your user: what do they want to find first? Venue info, then package info most likely. They'll look for info about you if they're interested, but that certainly isn't the primary thing they're looking for and it's your first link in the main nav after the home button (which isn't really used anymore).

- You could probably use a copywriter. Your copy isn't terrible, but spending a few hundred bucks on a copywriter to finesse your message and put it in a more pleasant voice would help.

- I'm assuming if you have weddings there you also have some pro photographers that shoot there? I'd find one of them with some great images and see if you work out some kind of arrangement to use their photos on your site. The ones you've got aren't bad, but the venue could look a whole lot better if you had high end images that really showed it off.

- Ditch the blog. You aren't going to use it and nothing is worse on a website than a sad abandoned blog.

As far as the site overall, I suppose it depends on market but $2500 to put together a Wordpress site, tweak the design, adjust content, and do SEO isn't at all unreasonable. Get a quote on exactly what they're doing for you, however, and make sure they have work to show that looks like what you want your site to look like.

Yes, you can try to do it yourself, but as mentioned there's a reason people like me get paid to do this. If you do it yourself, look for a theme that can show off big images of the venue as that's what's going to sell it. Give your user a clear call to action (CTA), something you want them to do whether that's call or e-mail for an appointment, sign up for a mailing list, or just let you know they want more info.

As far as social media, you probably need to suck it up and hop on board to be blunt You don't have to be crazy active on Twitter or Facebook, but at least start up an Instagram account and post a few photos weekly (you've already got lots of photos). I realize you don't want to do it, but I bet there's a young employee or even an upcoming bride who would be willing to help out with your social media for a discounted venue price.

Hope all that helps...
studioone
fig96 said:

Couple thoughts, and to back up my comments I'll mention I'm a senior designer in the marketing department of a tech firm. This is what I do.

- Worth noting from the start that it looks like your site was built in Drupal, another Content Management System somewhat similar to WordPress. You should have a login to that somewhere.

- The design isn't awful but it's pretty dated, and the big thing I get is a lack of hierarchy; everything in the header and navigation is the same font, same weight, same colors, so I don't know what's important and what's not. The body copy is the same way, no clear differentiation between headers, links, and body copy.

- Navigation needs some reworking. Think in terms of your user: what do they want to find first? Venue info, then package info most likely. They'll look for info about you if they're interested, but that certainly isn't the primary thing they're looking for and it's your first link in the main nav after the home button (which isn't really used anymore).

- You could probably use a copywriter. Your copy isn't terrible, but spending a few hundred bucks on a copywriter to finesse your message and put it in a more pleasant voice would help.

- I'm assuming if you have weddings there you also have some pro photographers that shoot there? I'd find one of them with some great images and see if you work out some kind of arrangement to use their photos on your site. The ones you've got aren't bad, but the venue could look a whole lot better if you had high end images that really showed it off.

- Ditch the blog. You aren't going to use it and nothing is worse on a website than a sad abandoned blog.

As far as the site overall, I suppose it depends on market but $2500 to put together a Wordpress site, tweak the design, adjust content, and do SEO isn't at all unreasonable. Get a quote on exactly what they're doing for you, however, and make sure they have work to show that looks like what you want your site to look like.

Yes, you can try to do it yourself, but as mentioned there's a reason people like me get paid to do this. If you do it yourself, look for a theme that can show off big images of the venue as that's what's going to sell it. Give your user a clear call to action (CTA), something you want them to do whether that's call or e-mail for an appointment, sign up for a mailing list, or just let you know they want more info.

As far as social media, you probably need to suck it up and hop on board to be blunt You don't have to be crazy active on Twitter or Facebook, but at least start up an Instagram account and post a few photos weekly (you've already got lots of photos). I realize you don't want to do it, but I bet there's a young employee or even an upcoming bride who would be willing to help out with your social media for a discounted venue price.

Hope all that helps...

I only let photos that i take be on there.. I'm a Master Photographer.. i teach professionals how to improve their images. Been doing it for 35 years.. Ive had 'professionals' that were hired for weddings there come up to me and ask how to use their flash, which i laughed at them... so 'pro' doesnt mean anything to me anymore... It mostly means your mom said you take great photos and you went to walmart and bought a nice camera, but have no clue how to run a business... Most 'photographers ' that come there bring one camera, one lens, and have no idea about posing or lighting. My camera bag was insured for $50,000 once... had 3 bodies, 9 lenses, 2-3 flashes, etc....

sorry.. I'm ranting...

but all the marketing people i talk to tell me to get rid of photos with people in them, because we want to show off the gazebo, and not the people who are hiding the gazebo behind them.

all the web people tell me i have to have a blog... I quit posting because its very time consuming and i would happily pay someone but no one ever will commit... I have been told by several companies that i have to continuously add photos, content, and stuff, and the best way to do so, according to them, is via blog. Search engines look for content that is regularly updated, and if you dont, the search engines think you are dead and your website is no longer active and thus wont show up..

its not that i dont want to do social media (i actually dont want to do it, really) but its that i CANT. I dont understand computers, the internet, how it works, etc.. Much happier paying someone to do it...

im a caveman who is being hired to run a nuclear reactor, and is handed a manual so i can understandd.... you are assuming i know how to read, can do math, and can understand physics and such... I would happily live in the 19th century except i like plumbing, refrigeration, and air conditioning... i dont need a computer, a digital camera, a cell phone, etc... but in order to run my business, I'm being forced to read the manual, and I'm telling you, i cannot read... (i can read, i just cant do logic... ) and I'm anti social... i grew up 80% of my life without computers...

if i could find a program somewhere that if i take a photo on my iPad it will send it to my blog, twitter, instagram, etc) so i dont have to bother...

and the $2500 doesn't include SEO. Its JUST the platform with my old website moved to the wordpress platform and then made to be a full website... SEO is additional cost.

Im hyperactive ADHD, cant sit still, have to be outside, cant stand being in front of a computer... I dont even want to be typing this, but its taken me about an hour to write all this....

studioone

my website is ok for now.... it runs... its just hard to find... content needs improving, design could be better, etc etc...

but the whole purpose of this thread was to find out what, if possible, can be done to get the physical code of the program (the platform of wordpress, i guess) and to ADD sub programs or whatever they are called today, to the program, so that when the website is active, it is running better and is easier to find than without the subroutines. But this does NOT include SEO....

so in between copying my website and putting it active on the web, but BEFORE we add SEO to it, is there ANYHING that can be additionally programed into the program of the platform of wordpress (or whatever) that can improve my ability to be found..

im picking things out of my head... like you run a computer... but to be on the internet you need a search engine.. so you had to add it to function properly on the web... oh.. to run even better you need flash and java... which are not part of safari, but can be ADDED.... we haven't gotten on the web yet, we're just trying to improve the ability to do so by adding sub programs..

sorry.. I'm trying to make myself understood to people who talk everyday in technical lingo and i grunt...

redd38
AG
SEO should be in mind when the new site is created, so yes there are things that can/should be done before the SEO company gets their hands on it. Your homepage doesn't have any text on it, for example. The images on your homepage don't even have alt tags. Not much for a search engine to go on there. None of the images in your gallery have captions or alt tags. You have giant images (like 3.5mb) that are being scaled down to like 970px x 446px. I don't think that affects SEO but it affects user experience.
studioone
ok.. thats helpful.. thanks..

to me content is what the text says... to you guys, content is WHERE it says.... i didn't know this until now.. I thought google would search all the pages and do some math somewhere and figure it out... shrug...

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.