Graphic Design - Illustrator vs. InDesign

677 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PLUM LOCO
Earp16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for some advice from those in graphic design. I would like the ability to design better logos, t-shirt designs, event invitations, posters, flyers, brochures, etc. I currently use Publisher and occasionally Pixlr Editor (free online program). However, I know I could do much more with Illustrator or InDesign, but can't decide which one would be best.

I would mainly be creating t-shirt designs and one-page documents. Occasionally I may design a multi-page document. Would Illustrator be the best way to go?
aggieforester05
AG
Illustrator for your logos and Indesign for your invitations or posters. Create vector graphics in illustrator to insert into Indesign. Illustrator is akin to Microsoft Paint and Indesign is akin to Publisher. You might try inkscape (free) for you vector graphics and use Indesign for layouts. I'm not sure if there is an indesign equivalent that is opensource. I still use photoshop for modifying any images I'm putting into indesign, but you could use the gimp for that.

Disclaimer *I'm not a professional graphic designer, but I use these to create marketing materials for my businesses.
n_touch
Illustrator would probably be better for you. You can do everything that you are looking for with it. Look into the Creative Cloud and you can get multiple programs for a monthly fee rather than having to buy them.
fig96
AG
The general idea has been covered, Illustrator is for drawing and InDesign is for page layout. Any sort of drawing, logo, or poster is a task for Illustrator, whereas InDesign is much better suited for any structured page or document design.

If you're not doing a ton of multi-page layout you won't have much need for InDesign, you can do a single page layout in Illustrator and if you had to could do multiple pages and assemble them into a PDF.

Illustrator is the industry standard, but for your needs I'd check out Affinity Designer. It'll do everything Illustrator can do and will only cost you 50 bucks. They're also working on a page layout application that will hopefully be out soon.
PLUM LOCO
AG
CorelDraw is all you need and a whole lot cheaper than AI.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.