Received an Echo Dot as a gift

3,807 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LOYAL AG
GiveEmHellBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anything interesting I can do with it that doesn't require me shelling out money for other smart home devices?

I activated the Jeopardy! app....aced all the questions yesterday. I have it connected to my phone's music so I can play my playlists plus anything that's free on Amazon Prime Music.

What else?
MaroonStain
AG
There is an intraweb article about a guy that set up his Dot in his truck.
MaroonStain
AG
Amazon Dot in truck
Chrundle the Great
AG
That is genius! Really wish I thought of that on prime day.
Sazerac
AG
it's not clear, is he tethering to data on his phone or he pays for data through his truck?

I just got a dot on prime day because of the discount and because it works with a new logitech universal remote I'm getting.

But just playing with it by itself I don't really have a use for it...I mean, I can't even get it to read a text or place a call with my phone. I figured it was set-up wrong but I don't think it is...it really can't do something that simple? Yeah, I know it can "message" and "call" others with Alexa, but that's not what I'm talking about. "Alexa, read my latest iphone message"
AggieOO
he says he is using wifi through his truck.

Quote:

I do have a bit of advantage here as the owner of a 2015 Chevy Silverado. It has several USB ports, a Bluetooth stereo, and built-in Wi-Fi.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
I've found mine to be basically useless outside of reading the news and giving me weather updates..
09AggieJC
AG
check out ifttt
BackwardsInBoots
AG
I keep mine in my kitchen - as I run out of things I tell it to add them to my grocery list, which I can access on my phone when I am at the store. My appliances and my groceries are also all labeled in metric, so when I am making something with an American recipe, I ask it for conversions to grams/ml/celsius.

I also have a smart plug hooked up to my tv because either the remote control or the censor on the TV is terrible - I leave the TV turned on and Alexa can turn it on or off by controlling the smart plug.
zip04
AG
So far we like our echo, and we do not have any smart home devices (although it makes me want to get some now). We like the daily flash briefing for weather, news, etc., but the most useful thing so far is the shopping list. Also, my kids can ask her questions if they don't understand something with their homework or in a book they are reading.
Sazerac
AG
I got the logitech remote set-up and the skill with Alexa works awesome. Really well done and super easy to get set-up. Impressed!
rangerdanger
AG
Mine is in the home office and I use it to play free radio stations from Tunein.
permabull
AG
double aught
AG
My almost three year old daughter gets her to play the Trolls soundtrack over and over....
Hagen95
AG
How difficult was this to do? Sounds pretty slick.
Sazerac
AG
i already had a logitech remote, so I was able to just import over all my equipment/settings so the remote worked within a few minutes. Whole thing took an hour, including rewiring in my center.

turning on the Alexa/Echo skill was painless.

It isn't perfect, but it's pretty good at turning things on/off. It will change channels on the cable box IF they are in your Logitech favorites.
"Alexa, turn on ESPN" - will turn on all equipment to proper inputs and turn to ESPN
"Alexa, turn on HBO" - will change the channel to HBO
"Alexa, turn the volume down" - works
"Alexa, mute" - usually works
"Alexa, unmute" - sometimes work, depends on how long its been since you said Alexa, mute. should probably try "turn on un-mute"

"Alexa, turn on Netflix" - will turn on my Fire and all A/V settings, but can't actually start netflix.

The "turn..." tells it to use Logitech, so some things probably just need to be said differently.
TexAgsAnon
Usually you have to say "Alexa, tell Harmony to do _____" and that'll work just fine.
Hagen95
AG
Cool. I have an older Harmony remote so I'm not sure it will work, but I will definitely try this out.

Thanks!
Sazerac
AG
won't work with your older remote
requires remotes with harmony wifi hub
Hagen95
AG
Bummer.

I guess it gives an excuse to get a new remote.
Diggity
AG
The Harmony Hub and Remote set are routinely on sale at best buy and Amazon for around $70. Great deal if you can find it.
Sazerac
AG
Last week they released an update where you don't have to say Harmony...

But it probably still helps in some cases.
LOYAL AG
AG
I have two Echo's, one in the kitchen, one in the master BR. Here's what I/we do with them:

• Spotify. I have mixed emotions here. We have the Spotify family plan for me, Mrs. LOYAL AG and the two teenagers. It's a great app except that you can only connect one Spotify account to all of your Echo devices. With Amazon Music Unlimited different accounts can be applied to different devices but the kids swear that Spotify is a better service for what they listen to. With Spotify you can only direct stream one device is the point.
  • Todoist. I use this for business. I can tell it, "Alexa, add "call client X" to my to do list" and it will add the item to my Todoist account inbox where I go get it and move it to the relevant client/project.
  • Office 365 Calendar. My calendar is connected so I can say "Alexa, what's on my calendar for tomorrow?" or any other day I want and it will read my calendar to me." I can also add items to my calendar in similar fashion.
  • Alarm Clock. I got rid of the alarm with the awful tone and bright red numbers. Now I wake up to the 24:Legacy theme. No clock in the room but I'm not one to oversleep anyway so it's not a big deal.
  • Timers. Great for moving the sprinkler, etc.
  • Ordering. "Alexa, order more Rid-X."
  • Tell me a Chuck Norris fact. "Fact, Chuck Norris can make parallel lines connect." or whatever other cheesy Chuck Norris jokes she knows.
  • Tell me an Aggie Joke.
  • Math. I'm good at math. She's really good at it.
  • Weather.
  • What day of the week is Christmas this year?

It does a ton more but that's what we do with it daily. I know people that use it to lock the house up at night by locking the doors, turning off the lights, etc.
92Ag95
AG
"Alexa, initiate a return for yourself."
Hagen95
AG
So our old remote crapped out and I bought the hub and remote this weekend and programmed the Alexa skill with it. Very nice and easy. Thanks nerdery!
jakeaggie84
AG
Plays 20 questions and is pretty good most times. Also can flip a coin for you if you don't have one. Scy guy for science facts.... If you fold A piece of paper 50 times it would be the thickness from here to the sun.
Sazerac
AG
Ordered delivery through Alexa using Amazon Restaurants. That was pretty slick.

About the only useful thing I've used it for recently.
aezmvp
Use it for my lights, downstairs TV, white noise in the bedroom, checking traffic in the mornings, kitchen timers. I'm going to add a Rachio and 2 Ecobee/Nests to it (probably the Ecobee) in a month or so. Also we set it up in my folks house (mother is starting to have falls) for Drop In so in an emergency she can get help.
LOYAL AG
AG
aezmvp said:

Use it for my lights, downstairs TV, white noise in the bedroom, checking traffic in the mornings, kitchen timers. I'm going to add a Rachio and 2 Ecobee/Nests to it (probably the Ecobee) in a month or so. Also we set it up in my folks house (mother is starting to have falls) for Drop In so in an emergency she can get help.
What's Drop In? I just checked Alexa Skills and I'm not finding that but I've got a few relatives getting up there that might benefit from this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.