AMD Ryzen

939 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by DeepEastTxAg
DeepEastTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, I'm thinking about building a new PC, and I'm leaning towards going with a Ryzen CPU. Has anyone built one, and if so, how are you liking it?
getme
I built a machine with a 1500 and a Radeon 480. I use it for media playback and light arcade and retro gaming on a 4k TV. It's been an excellent machine so far and if and when I upgrade the graphics card it should be a much more capable gaming machine.
tamusc
AG
It seems like the issues with Ryzen RAM compatibility have finally been worked through via BIOS for most motherboards, which was one of the biggest issues initially. Those fixes, along software patches, have really boosted the performance of Ryzen CPUs, particularly on the gaming front compared to what it was at launch.

Any of the Ryzen CPUs at and above the Ryzen 5 1600 won't really be a bottleneck for modern games and so you'd be more dependent on the GPU you get. Even the 1500 and 1500x will still give you solid gaming performance pretty close to what you'd get from the similarly priced Intel CPUs. The kicker though is that the Ryzen CPUs will generally smoke the equivalently priced Intel CPUs on productivity software and things like rendering (videos, pictures, CAD) while also giving you competitive gaming performance.

If you want the absolute best gaming performance, get an Intel i7 7700k with a z270 based motherboard (don't touch any of the X-series Intel chips or their new x299 based motherboards for gaming). If you want the best all around system performance while still having good to great gaming performance, get the Ryzen CPU that fits within your budget.
getme
tamusc said:

It seems like the issues with Ryzen RAM compatibility have finally been worked through via BIOS for most motherboards, which was one of the biggest issues initially. Those fixes, along software patches, have really boosted the performance of Ryzen CPUs, particularly on the gaming front compared to what it was at launch.

I agree with this completely the number of BIOS updates on the Gigabyte board I'm using has finally started to slow down, there for a while I was being prompted every few weeks it seemed, to update the BIOS. They have ironed out a lot of the early issues and things have calmed down in that regard.

To correct my earlier post I'm running a 1500x not a 1500.
theterk
AG
I can confirm that AGESA 1.0.0.6 is a HUGE improvement for memory stability and compatibility for the platform. I was able to go to only DDR4-2400 running stable to DDR4-2933 stable with all memory sockets populated. Max I had seen on previous code releases was 2666MHz.

As for AMD, I can't complain. Loving the marketing blitz and good press AMD is getting and the bad rap Intel is getting thanks to Linus and other online bloggers are slinging. I'm biased since I review AMD. AMD does run a little hotter though, you have been warned.

That said. I've been plenty happy with my Xeon e5-1230 is pretty solid
tamusc
AG
theterk said:

As for AMD, I can't complain. Loving the marketing blitz and good press AMD is getting and the bad rap Intel is getting thanks to Linus and other online bloggers are slinging. I'm biased since I review AMD. AMD does run a little hotter though, you have been warned.

That said. I've been plenty happy with my Xeon e5-1230 is pretty solid

Intel deserves all the derision they are getting for the CF that is the x299 platform fiasco, the Kaby Lake-X CPUs that perform worse than their regular Kaby Lake counterparts despite having higher clockspeeds and then Intel's idiotic marketing slides that try to belittle EPYC with nonsensical comparisons in addition to stupid jabs like calling EPYC "glued together desktop cores".
DeepEastTxAg
AG
Strange. I've actually heard these run cooler than Intels like the 7700K.
DeepEastTxAg
AG
Yeah I'm heavily leaning towards the 1600X.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.