New desktop/Windows 10/software compatibility

1,304 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by hammerhead
hammerhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bought a new desktop and after our IT guys set it up I started to load some of the insurance proposal software I use on a daily basis...

Had several issues and when I called Dell they said it was a software issue (proposal software) so my IT guys proceed to go thru it, Windows 10 is crashing when I open emails and they proceed to reinstall the OS. Did not completely fix it.

Fast forward to me loading a simple proposal system from Principal. I open it and appears to be 100% written in Russian(not sure if that is what it since they dont sell in Russia but that is what it looks like). I call Principal and they tell me to uninstall and start over...same thing happens.

Now this is where is gets strange (at least to me). So Principal tech guy logs in thru logmein123...when he is logged in the damn thing runs perfect. Opens up like it is suppose to and looks good. While on the phone with him he logs off and it immediately goes back to Russian. Once again, uninstall, reinstall, no changes...Principal guy makes many display setting changes, etc... and nothing help.

I call Dell and the exact same thing....he logs in and it is perfect and logs off and back to what I see. After spending over an hour he tells me his only option is to do a fresh start with reinstalling the OS.

Says they wont send me a new machine because it is software related. Have already lost damn near 3 weeks of production dealing with this crap.

Thoughts?

dubi
AG
Windows 8?

Or don't they have some sort of "compatability mode" option?
fig96
AG
Format c:?
hammerhead
dubi said:

Windows 8?

Or don't they have some sort of "compatability mode" option?
i have Windows 10.

they tried the "compatability mode" options on different versions and still nothing.
dubi
AG
Try windows 8
TexAgsAnon
dubi said:

Try windows 8
Don't do that.
AG
start->settings->region&language

review settings

click additional date,time®ional settings
remove anything that looks weird
hammerhead
robertf03 said:

start->settings->region&language

review settings

click additional date,time®ional settings
remove anything that looks weird

this all appears to be correct.

I also wondered it the virus detect or malware detect might be different or more strict?
BrazosDog02
AG
Start windows in safe mode and see what you get with the software.

Are you up to date on all windows 10 updates and service packs?

I agree that it's software related...it doesn't play nice with windows. The log in thing is wierd though and that seems to me like it has to be diagnostic of something but I don't know what. That's such an obscure piece of software that I couldn't find anything online. Maybe you can since you know more about it. You can't be the first person to have trouble.
hammerhead
BrazosDog02 said:

Start windows in safe mode and see what you get with the software.

Are you up to date on all windows 10 updates and service packs?

I agree that it's software related...it doesn't play nice with windows. The log in thing is wierd though and that seems to me like it has to be diagnostic of something but I don't know what. That's such an obscure piece of software that I couldn't find anything online. Maybe you can since you know more about it. You can't be the first person to have trouble.
Thanks..

A third Dell person wants to log in today.

Have talked with 3 different Principal tech guys and none of them have seen anything like it...and one said my case was part of one of their discussions and no one else has seen it.

The kicker is I sell a lot of their disability products and cannot illustrate it now and unlike most carriers they don' have a link to even run it from their site.

The "working will they are remotely logged in" has both Dell and Principal dumbfounded.

For the simple fact that I don't want to go thru another reinstall I might get a cheaper computer without W10 and just have a third screen on my desk to run things.
AG
Can you Remote Desktop connect and try it Remote? I still think it's your localized account settings that are messed up and the software isn't tested against non standard settings. If it fails when you RDP connect then it's your account. Domain or local log in?
tamusc
AG
Do they not have their software running on Windows 10 anywhere else? Even internally?

If so, and I don't think they'd say they'd never seen this before if they didn't, then I would say it's a very good indicator that it's NOT a Windows 10 issue.
hammerhead
Update...

Dell has no clue, now up to 4 different people at Dell...all drivers up to date, etc, etc.. they have tried a 1,000 different "tricks" and nothing.

Loaded the same software on another Windows 10 machine last night and it worked just fine. Emailed them that this morning and as of now, no response.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.