MacBook Pro 13

3,217 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by fig96
HossAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any opinions on whether I should or shouldn't get this? I'm a student with a big, powerful, battery hogging laptop currently that won't last more than 2 hours on a charge. I'm going for an Ultrabook this time for the form factor and battery life, and I've basically narrowed it down to the new Razer Blade stealth 13 in and the MacBook Pro 13 in (non touch bar).

I love the build of the MacBook, definitely the best out there. I don't care about the ports, I don't use HDMI or sd card readers, and I already have Usb C to usb A adapters. I just want to make sure the MacBook is nice and snappy for normal programs and that I won't feel like I'm taking a big speed hit if I don't choose the stealth. The models I'm looking at are $80 difference in price so that's a non issue as well.

TIA
PatAg
AG
HossAg said:

Any opinions on whether I should or shouldn't get this? I'm a student with a big, powerful, battery hogging laptop currently that won't last more than 2 hours on a charge. I'm going for an Ultrabook this time for the form factor and battery life, and I've basically narrowed it down to the new Razer Blade stealth 13 in and the MacBook Pro 13 in (non touch bar).

I love the build of the MacBook, definitely the best out there. I don't care about the ports, I don't use HDMI or sd card readers, and I already have Usb C to usb A adapters. I just want to make sure the MacBook is nice and snappy for normal programs and that I won't feel like I'm taking a big speed hit if I don't choose the stealth. The models I'm looking at are $80 difference in price so that's a non issue as well.

TIA
Just an fyi, the non touchbar has a less powerful processor. Still should be above any recommended specifications for your degree unless you are an engineer.
Pman17
AG
I'd go for it. If it runs every program you use, then cool. High Sierra coming out in the fall should improve the performance. Macbooks last and devalue slowly. Mine is 5 years old and still runs like new. The build quality is great! I like having a hard case shell over mine so I can put stickers all over it. I recommend ordering online through the Apple Store so you can customize it. Get Apple Care! Why? Because a lot of the parts are expensive. If you pour water or beer on your keyboard or track pad, you have to replace the keyboard and track pad, costs $800 without Apple Care. I almost lost my track pad due to moisture but it dried up.

2012 MacBook Pro 15" Retina (first one)
Upgraded from base model to 16GB of ram, 500gb SSD.
HossAg
AG
Thanks for the responses!

PatAg, I'm in engineering and the most intense software I have to use at this point is Matlab, and Macs handle that easily. I'm just more concerned about general snappiness/drive speeds/longevity.

I think I'll probably end up going with the Macbook, most instances that require a demanding software are in a lab environment where we're using lab computers anyway. I just wanted to hear what Mac owners think about them. I'd be getting the kaby lake build, and that processor is more powerful than the most powerful 6th gen processor that it intially launched with.
zip04
AG
I used a MacBook throughout my time at Naval Postgraduate School and the only issue I ran into was with a few features Microsoft excel did not have in the mac version, so I ended up running windows on it as well to work around that issue (only an issue during my stats courses). I'd still go the mac route again if I had to. I bought that laptop in 2008 and now my kids play on it. I bought a MacBook Air two years ago and absolutely love it (but would still recommend the MacBook Pro for most college kids).
91AggieLawyer
AG
My early 2012 MBP still runs well with 16g of memory, but the battery life has faded even though the diagnostics say its still around 85%. The only 2 apps that I run that will really tax the resources and scream for an SSD (which I don't have) is Logic Pro and Davinci Resolve. If I ever have the need to constantly run those remotely (now I mostly use Keynote and Word when I'm out), then I'll get an SSD but I don't really have any plans to get a new machine unless I start making money with Logic or Resolve.
QBCade
AG
You'll get longer life & value with less work with a Mac. As long as it has an SSD, it will be plenty snappy. Just got the touchbar 13" MBP and love it.
fig96
AG
I believe they've all got SSDs now so you should be good there, bump the RAM to 16gb and you'll be good to go for at least your college career. They're snappy machines and really well built, also have great resale value that makes up for the premium price on the front end.
TexAg2016
AG
I had the razor blade stealth, and going from a Mac to that was like from a lexus to a toyota echo. The thing was built like trash, had to RMA the power supply twice.

Sold it and bought another MBP 13". Highly recommend.
Cloud
Ordered the 13in MacBook Pro ntb Saturday. Pumped.

The SSDs in the 2017s are suppose to very fast. Very fast and can copy many file to many location.
HossAg
AG
Just ordered last night. I'm nervous.
SlackerAg
AG
Still waiting for 2018 MacBook Pro before buying. It should be a major upgrade with Intel's Cannonlake (10nm chip in their "tick" cycle). Also going from Sierra to High Sierra (internal optimizations) means the next macOS afterwards will be a major one.
Cloud
HossAg said:

Just ordered last night. I'm nervous.

How'd you spec yours out? I went with base cpu, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd
HossAg
AG
Same thing, except I just kept the 8 gb of ram. I never have more than 4-5 gb worth of stuff open, 8 gb has always been fine for me. If I am running more intense software, it's just a habit for me to close other programs.

I went non touch bar because I don't want it, the battery is better, and the speakers actually fire out of the grills on the deck.
Cloud
I went non touch bar as well.

Only reason I opted for 16gb of ram is I'm hoping to keep this thing a while. May as well load it up since it's not user upgradeable.
HossAg
AG
Yeah that's understandable, I'd go for it if they didn't charge like 300 more, not worth it to me right now considering I've never had issues with 8 gb.
HossAg
AG
Just to update: This computer is awesome.
Cloud
Picked mine up yesterday. Excellent machine so far.
Brick Tamland
Picking one up in a few months, without the touchbar. Looking forward to it.
Cloud
Hoss, what are your idle CPU temps? Just curious.

HossAg
AG
I'm at 43 degrees right now with it unplugged and sitting on a blanket on my couch right now. I noticed it gets pretty hot when charging if it isn't on a hard flat surface. The blanket blocks the fans I guess.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Incoming engineering student, thinking about going with the 15 inch MacBook Pro (non touchbar) and was wondering if you bought yours off the Apple website. And if so did you get a student discount through it? TIA
Brick Tamland
If you want the newest model, 15" isn't available without a touchbar from the Apple website
fig96
AG
Brick Tamland said:

If you want the newest model, 15" isn't available without a touchbar from the Apple website
Actually it is, just gotta keep scrolling down on the buy page
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
I'm fine with last years model, it's quite a bit cheaper and I don't feel like I need the touchbar
HossAg
AG
I buy mine off of B&h because they don't charge tax or shipping, and that results in a bigger discount than the student discount.
HossAg
AG
And yeah, don't get the touch bar, I love the physical function buttons as they are, and you lose a lot of battery life with the touchbar
Brick Tamland
I'm a millennial. We don't scroll down unless it's a social media website

From mobile the only 15" is previous model for non-Touch Bar anyways.

Wtf did autocorrect really just capitalize Touch Bar
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
I don't understand why Apple has so few of their models to choose from on their website...
PooDoo
AG
Have y'all heard anyone that wants a touch bar? I just don't see why it would be useful.
always gig em
AG
Thought I wanted a mbp with a touchbar until I realized I wouldn't need it (and battery life). This was going to be my first mac after using windows laptops all my life. Wondering now what ever took me so long.

Bought an early 2013 mbp a couple months ago and love it, 16/256. Amazingly fast. Installed office 2016, no issues. Run it if you need it, no worries. Girlfriend will be graduate engineering this fall at A&M running her first mac as well.
Guitarsoup
AG
PooDoo said:

Have y'all heard anyone that wants a touch bar? I just don't see why it would be useful.
It's great for photoshop and other programs like that.
fig96
AG
Guitarsoup said:

PooDoo said:

It's great for photoshop and other programs like that.
Yup, I do a lot of video editing and I'd totally be up for using the TouchBar for that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.