OK guys, I need a phone!

2,580 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ThunderCougarFalconBird
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife's phone (sorry about rule #1) is crapping out. Did a factory reset but it's still locking up constantly.

We always buy our phones straight up... So glad that $600 LG G4 lasted so long! I need a recommendation for a new phone (unlocked to work on Cricket). Don't need anything fancy, just not a slow POS.

I've heard good things briefly about the Moto G5. What do y'all say?
Hudson2508
AG
I'd say Pixel and doubt you'll find a better option for a non contract phone. Absolutely loved mine and had it since it came out.
permabull
AG
fig96
AG
Hudson2508 said:

I'd say Pixel and doubt you'll find a better option for a non contract phone. Absolutely loved mine and had it since it came out.
Love mine too, but I'd probably wait on buying one right now as a new one is expected in Sept/Oct.
Aero95
AG
Love my LG v20...one of the few options with an SD card slot and replaceable battery so you can keep it a long time. Bought unlocked new for $550 last month, but I'm now seeing it for $400 ish on slick deals.
permabull
AG
Furlock Bones
AG
the OnePlus 5 is getting pretty great reviews.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Aero95 said:

Love my LG v20...one of the few options with an SD card slot and replaceable battery so you can keep it a long time. Bought unlocked new for $550 last month, but I'm not seeing it for $400 ish on slick deals.

My absolute requirement for a cellphone. So I still have my Galaxy Note 4.

Am I really missing out by using a 3 year old technology? Serious question.
Aero95
AG
I don't think so. I only upgraded because my G3 motherboard failed. Phones can't get my thinner or you can't hold them well IMO, and the market wants big screens so sizes should be constant now. Processors get faster, but honestly we are way past the point of diminishing returns. Cameras get better, maybe. Only big improvements left are battery life IMO, and maybe screen readability in bright sunshine.

I really love music on the v20 with good ear buds (Schure for me) and the on-board DAC. I just hope the thing is durable so I can get 3-4 years out of it.
bigboykin
AG
My wife and I both have Moto G4s bought from Amazon, and you'd have a hard time convincing me that you can get more bang for your buck with any phone, especially a flagship. I just can't see a $7-800 phone being 3-4x better. Moto G is minimally skinned, expandable memory (we have 128GB SDs in ours), really solid battery life, quckcharge, good screen, and an adequate (but definitely not great) camera. I can only assume the G5 is even better. If I dropped mine in the Gulf tomorrow, I'd probably buy a G5.

That said, I am fairly intrigued by the Nokia 6 on preorder for Prime members for $179. Pretty similar specs and features to the G5.
sdc177
AG
bigboykin said:

My wife and I both have Moto G4s bought from Amazon, and you'd have a hard time convincing me that you can get more bang for your buck with any phone, especially a flagship. I just can't see a $7-800 phone being 3-4x better. Moto G is minimally skinned, expandable memory (we have 128GB SDs in ours), really solid battery life, quckcharge, good screen, and an adequate (but definitely not great) camera. I can only assume the G5 is even better. If I dropped mine in the Gulf tomorrow, I'd probably buy a G5.

That said, I am fairly intrigued by the Nokia 6 on preorder for Prime members for $179. Pretty similar specs and features to the G5.
The Nokia 6 linked above has lockscreen offers and ads. The phone also has a fingerprint scanner. How does that work? Don't you bypass the lockscreen when you unlock with your fingerprint?
permabull
AG
redline248
AG
How do these phones from Amazon work with providers like att or sprint? Just take it in and get a SIM card?
jr15aggie
AG
Wanted to say thanks for responding to my question... I would have responded earlier but I was banned for a joke I told on the politics board (I guess they didn't find if funny).

I ended up getting her a Moto G5 from Amazon (same day delivery). It's a very capable phone for just over $200. It's hard to justify the $600 phones whenver her LG G4 crapped out... had it maybe 2 years I think.
permabull
AG
bigboykin
AG
Yeah, ours don't have fingerprint readers, so I'm not sure and you might have to swipe twice. For me, I swipe up once just like any other lockscreen and I'm into my phone. 99% of the time I don't notice what the ad was for.

I got mine while still on Sprint, and yeah you just call them and say you're switching to an unlocked phone and need a SIM kit. Pretty sure it was free, but I may have paid expedited shipping fees... it was a while ago. From there I switched to Cricket, and you can basically just pop in a SIM.

Like I say, I don't know about the fingerprint factor, but for me the ads are a complete non-issue. I thought I would root and remove them at some point but this may be the first Android phone I haven't rooted, and I've rooted a bunch of devices.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.