Question for you iPhone experts

1,202 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BEaggie08
Rockdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok I'm an old guy and not tech inclined when it comes to phones. My OLD version iPhone is about to die and I need to upgrade fairly quick. Should I hold on and wait for the new 8 to come out, or just go for the 7+ now? All I do is talk, email, text and maybe some simple apps. And I am going to stay with iPhone. Advice from those in the know is appreciated.
chipotle
the 7+ is a good phone. If all you're doing is simple stuff I wouldn't bother waiting. Maybe hold out for price drops on the 7+.
3rdGen2015
AG
Do you know anybody who has a 7+? If you do, make sure you hold it and try putting it in your pocket before you purchase. If you're coming from a 4 or 5, it'll be massive to you.
boogieman
AG
Looking at a September release for the new iphone. That's about 3 months. Can you're phone make it?
BEaggie08
AG
I have a 7+ and I think it's a piece of crap. I'll be getting the next one in hopes that the quality will have improved. I don't drop my phones and I'm not hard on them, but I am on my fourth iPhone 7+. The first had a stuck volume button out of the box. On the second, the camera stopped working after a month. The third couldn't keep a connection to a cellular network. I've had the fourth for about a month now.

If I were you, I'd wait if you can (you're probably looking at getting your hands on a new phone in October if you wait), or just get a 6S+. Gotta hand it to Apple though, their customer service and support for their product has been great.

Edit to say that I'll be scaling back to the non-plus size on my next phone. It's not unwieldy, but I have found myself wishing it were smaller at times.
jopatura
AG
What phone do you have now? I'd be more inclined to buy a used 6 or 6+, then wait to see what the changes were in the fall iPhone. The next iPhone is supposedly a big redesign. There were only a few differences in the 6, 6S, and 7 and they were mostly processor related.
Rockdoc
AG
Yeah I may wait. I have a 5S. I've figured out if I reboot the thing a couple of times a day, the problems go away for a while. I've had it a long time and it's been a good phone. Thanks for the tip on the larger size.
AggieBQ95
AG
The 8 is possibly going to have wireless charging - finally. I'm holding out on upgrading my 6 for that alone. Will be nice in my new GMC Sierra to be able to charge without plugging it in.

Oh, and I believe base size for memory on the 8 will be 64GB if I remember correctly. My 6 is a 16GB, and I am constantly having to move things to the cloud. This has me pretty excited too!
AggieFrog
AG
The 8 may not be available until November or maybe later. The 7S should be out in September.
PooDoo
AG
I went from the 5 to the SE because the SE was a 6 but the size of the 5. Plus all my battery cases and etc still fit.
fig96
AG
From speaking to someone very close to what's going on...wait

If you really don't care about features, I'd also wait. You'll probably be able to get a deal on a 7 after the new one is released.
k20dub
AG
fig96 said:

From speaking to someone very close to what's going on...wait

If you really don't care about features, I'd also wait. You'll probably be able to get a deal on a 7 after the new one is released.
The Dog Lord
AG
PooDoo said:

I went from the 5 to the SE because the SE was a 6 but the size of the 5. Plus all my battery cases and etc still fit.

Same here. I don't want a huge phone, and I like the flat edges as well. I can prop it on it's side and watch a video. The curved edges on the new design somehow make them feel like they're about to fall out of my hand too.
tamusc
AG
BEaggie08 said:

I have a 7+ and I think it's a piece of crap. I'll be getting the next one in hopes that the quality will have improved. I don't drop my phones and I'm not hard on them, but I am on my fourth iPhone 7+. The first had a stuck volume button out of the box. On the second, the camera stopped working after a month. The third couldn't keep a connection to a cellular network. I've had the fourth for about a month now.

If I were you, I'd wait if you can (you're probably looking at getting your hands on a new phone in October if you wait), or just get a 6S+. Gotta hand it to Apple though, their customer service and support for their product has been great.

Edit to say that I'll be scaling back to the non-plus size on my next phone. It's not unwieldy, but I have found myself wishing it were smaller at times.
Wow, what the heck do you do to your phone? I've have a 7+, have three friends with a 7+ and six coworkers with a 7+ with zero issues between all of those that weren't due to physical damage (or the odd iOS quirk that everyone dealt with). They were all the AT&T version though, so if you have the unlocked/Verizon version, then it's a different cellular radio.
BEaggie08
AG
tamusc said:

BEaggie08 said:

Wow, what the heck do you do to your phone? I've have a 7+, have three friends with a 7+ and six coworkers with a 7+ with zero issues between all of those that weren't due to physical damage (or the odd iOS quirk that everyone dealt with). They were all the AT&T version though, so if you have the unlocked/Verizon version, then it's a different cellular radio.
I'm really not hard on them. Like I said, first one was messed up out of the box, camera just stopped working on the second (no physical damage), cellular radios on the 3rd. They are unlocked phones. Was with Verizon initially, and switched to TMobile a couple months ago. Verdict is still out on whether or not that was a wise choice, but I'm enjoying the savings.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.