TCG, Heroclix, or Dice Masters

963 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Dread Pirate Roberts
Dread Pirate Roberts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My son found some old tcg cards I was given a decade ago and fell in love with them and the whole concept. I looked up the rules and we have played a lot over the last two weeks and he has won most of the games. Either he's a natural or I'm an idiot to lose to an elementary school-aged kid - maybe both.

Anyway, that's an old game that's out of print and none of his friends will have any interest in this, so I'm curious if there's a game that might interest him that's still active and he might could play with his friends.

Do you have a suggestion of a current TCG / deck builder? Should he move over to Heroclix or Dice Masters, instead?
chigger
AG
Not really into that kind of game, but I know Magic the Gathering is still going and in print. Wizards of the Coast makes it.
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thank you. I'm not sure if that's my kind of game either, but I'm looking into it in case its something he'd enjoy. He's caught on really quickly to a lot of games, but I'll have to see if this one's too old for him. I'll watch one of the play through videos with him and see if he can keep up.
SPullig
Try Star Wars Destiny. Has been out less than a year and is a cross between Dice Masters and MTG. I've tried DiceMasters and did not enjoy it much but enjoy SW: Destiny. There are two starter boxes (Rey and Kylo Ren) which you can pick up and try it out. They are each $15 and you should be able to find them at most game stores or online.
JuliusCaesarAggie
Heroclix is still going fairly strong as well. If he's into comic book characters, I'd bet he'll love it.
04texag
AG
How old is your son? I've played pokemon with my daughter, she's 8, and it's been fun.

Magic is actually a really great game, if you can get past the nerd factor.

As mentioned, star wars destiny is a fun playing game and is star wars license.

Mage wars academy is another to look at.
Dread Pirate Roberts
He's 9.

Luckily, he doesn't realize how nerdy games are and is not self-conscious about playing any of them.

I just saw Mage Wars Academy the other day and need to look into it more.
Dread Pirate Roberts
I got really interested in Star Wars Destiny since my whole family loves Star Wars, but got concerned after watching a couple of videos. I was hoping it would be easy and fast paced, but the videos made it look very slow and cumbersome unless you have a lot of symbols memorized. Are those videos accurate, or is this one of those that plays much better in real life?
04texag
AG
I think destiny is pretty easy to get into. I think once you play it once you can see.

Are you in Houston? I'd be happy to demo any games for you
Dread Pirate Roberts
That's a great offer and I really appreciate that, but I'm in the Dallas area.

I've had fun looking into these games and really want to find time to play all of them!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.