Project Fi

2,251 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by chjoak
chjoak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guess I've been under a rock for a bit. Just hearing about this today.

Anyone using (or used) the service?
What do you think?
Any service issues outside of metro areas?
Does the cost stay as consistent as they suggest?
Assume Android phones only?
Any Android or just those listed for sale on the site?
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I used it for a while about a year ago.
I live in Rockwall and found the service there, at the time at least, to be very poor. Routinely dropped calls.
The program was as you would expect - I didn't find any tricks or catches.

The BIGGEST issue I had is with exiting the program. We went back to Cricket (which is where we had been prior to trying Fi) and they needed my account # to transfer the service. This is typical and you normally do this, then Cricket sends you a SIM and when you put it in the phone, it transitions the account, nice and easy. Well, Google FI wouldn't give me the account number until I canceled. They told me that upon canceling, service would be cut immediately. This meant I'd have 2 days or so without service while waiting for the SIM to come in the mail. Luckily, I had a Cricket brick and mortar store near by, so I went there and they got me set up a few hours after I canceled. Also, Google actually DIDN'T cancel the service immediately, so I may have just been on the end of bad communication from a customer service rep (though I did have screen shots verifying they told me that would happen).

I would have stayed with them had the coverage been good, but at this point Cricket has upped their data per user and they're still cheaper - at least that FI was at the time.

That said, I would give them a try if you're looking - just wasn't right for us.

And I brought a Nexus 6P when I joined, so not sure on the device questions.
sdc177
AG

Anyone using (or used) the service? Me for another day at most.

What do you think? I am going back to AT&T after a month of using Project Fi. They use Sprint, T-mobile, and U.S. Cellular towers, all of which suck or are non-existent in the Austin area. It is supposed to use whichever is the strongest tower but I experienced handoff issues between Sprint and T-mobile.

Any service issues outside of metro areas? Look at coverage maps for where you will be using the service

Does the cost stay as consistent as they suggest? Yes but will vary with your usage

Assume Android phones only? Only a handful

Any Android or just those listed for sale on the site? Just what's listed specifically on the site. I will have a Nexus 6p and Nexus 5X for sale soon if interested.
chjoak
AG
The website shows a Pixel and 2 Nexus devises but doesn't flat out say (unless I missed it) what is supported. I assumed it was the google phones (what is listed on website) but wasn't 100%.

The issue I have now... wife and I are on ATT. Coverage is horrible in our area (NW Houston/Cypress) due to a tower being taken down for road construction. We've heard no plan to add a tower back and both of us are tired of spotty coverage. We also spend a decent amount of time in smaller towns (Victoria, Yoakum, New Waverly, El Campo) visiting friends and family. Everyone in the neighborhood suggests Verizon but we save no money at all with Verizon. We can keep the money the same but lose 2 GB of data or pay more and go unlimited.

We are in a mode right now of trying to see where we can cut costs (fixing to drop DTV for PS Vue) and I was just poking around at alternatives.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
It won't change your coverage since they leverage ATT towers, but we've been VERY happy with cricket. They've recently upped their data per user on their cheapest plan. We're not huge data users (yeah, if you want to stream movies over cell, then you're going to be at the mercy of the big plans) but we get unlimited talk & text and 4GB EACH for $70/month total.

I can give you a referral code if you ever decide to join, but don't want to sound pushy - for our needs, they've been great, but they wouldn't be for everyone.
nai06
AG
Anyone using (or used) the service?
I've had it for a little over a year now

What do you think?
Pretty awesome. The coverage has been great for where I live and the international plan is unbeatable.
Any service issues outside of metro areas?
I've not experienced any real service issues so far. The only places I didnt have service, the people with me didnt have service either
Does the cost stay as consistent as they suggest?
Yep. $20 a month for the phone plan $10 per gb of mobile data anywhere in the world. I pay for 5gb a month and if I go over there are no fees. If im under they credit it me on the next billing cycle.
Assume Android phones only?
yes.
Any Android or just those listed for sale on the site?
Just the ones listed on the site are compatible for now. But you can buy it anywhere. I bought my 6P off amazon.

The only other catch is when it comes to insurance but I just use 3rd party coverage(squaretrade)
fig96
AG
Interesting, I have a co-worker here in Austin that loves it and has no complaints on the service.

I recently switched to a Pixel (which I love) and have tossed around leaving Verizon.
rbcs_2
AG
I've had Fi for about 2 years now in Houston. The service had it's issues at first with switching between towers or wifi. I think this has been mostly fixed through updates to the OS.

Overall the service is fine for me. I use maybe 20 minutes of calls per month and 100 or so texts. I usually use about half the data for my plan and my monthly bill is about $25 total.

The only phones that are allowed on the service are certain Nexus devices (Nexus 6, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P) and the Pixel.
ABKitch
AG
Use it in Denver on a Nexus 6P and love it. No problems with service and love the size of my bills ($30 average per month).

I will say that I had some problems with my phone connecting to LTE data when I first got it (bought from Best Buy after my original 6P from Google was stolen), but finally after several calls and chats with Project Fi customer service, they got it fixed on their end and I have had no problems whatsoever with service since then.

OE_Ag11
AG
Has anyone else had the issue where calling out takes 10+ seconds in order to start ringing? Y'all know of a way to fix it?
chjoak
AG
I think that is with your phone. I've had that with my Samsung on ATT. Reboot your phone and see if it is working right.
OE_Ag11
AG
Done that several times. Seems that once you make a call it's better but otherwise it just takes a while to start the call. Sometimes up to 20 sec it seems
rbcs_2
AG
I don't think I've had a smartphone (on any network) where this didn't happen to me on an inconsistent basis.
Bobcat-Ag
Any updates on your experience with Project Fi? I was looking into this service as it is cheaper than Verizon. I will also check out the pricing on cricket.

I am in the Austin area and wanted to know if those of you who were using this at the time are still happy with it.
flintdragon
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

Any updates on your experience with Project Fi? I was looking into this service as it is cheaper than Verizon. I will also check out the pricing on cricket.

I am in the Austin area and wanted to know if those of you who were using this at the time are still happy with it.
I'm in Austin and it works well everywhere. T-mobile network is good here. I have an app that allows me to quickly switch back to T-mobile towers if I'm on Sprint for some reason. The terrible tmobile signal strength is better than the best sprint signal strength in my experience.

In my office in the Domain, I get better service than the Verizon and AT&T users.
RoyIII_Ag08
AG
I've been using Fi for over a year now and love it. Signal is good in College Station area. I've had good service when traveling outside the US also with no additional fees for data usage.
chjoak
AG
I ended up sticking with ATT. Was very interested in Fi. Ended up not switching because...

A) was mildly concerned about coverage in my area. Number of people on neighborhood FB complaining about TM & Sprint.
B) my wife is pot committed with Apple. She was interested in the Pixel 2 but ultimately the idea of having to start over freaked her out.
C) we have an older plan with a corporate discount (wife's old company) that we lose forever if/when we leave ATT

I plan to keep an eye on Fi and may opt to break away from our family account in the future.
walton91
I've been on Fi for over 2 years and have no complaints. In fact, I'm in the new market for a phone and will be getting a Pixel just so I can stay on Fi. Its just so much cheaper compared to what I used to pay.
AliasMan02
AG
Ditto. I was on the Sprint employee plan forever and Fi is still a fraction of that price. Definitely sticking with it.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I'm on fi and love it.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Bobcat-Ag
Thanks everyone, this was really helpful! I have also looked at Total Wireless because it uses the Verizon network and I have really liked that network over the years. Guess I have a decision to make.
chjoak
AG
FYI for those that are in love with a phone that is "not supported" by Fi... Found out from a co-worker yesterday that there is a hack to use any phone you like (including apple) on Fi. You simply register your sim card in a supported phone and then switch the card to your desired phone. Only issues he read about is that some phones (specifically apple) will not switch between networks (Wifi --> TMobile --> Sprint, etc...) during a call like the Fi supported phones will.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.