Point and Shoot Camera recommendations

1,111 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schmendeler
MidnightYell2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a DSLR that I do not use much but but want a nice compact camera to take for travelling. I have a cell phone but I want to be able to use a decent optical zoom.

Does anyone have recommendations for a "budget" priced PNS camera that will work well in low light settings and is compact enough to easily fit in a pocket?

I was looking at the Canon SX720 HS but wondered if there were a better option (and maybe a tad bit cheaper). I would love to have a way to make the photos geotagged, but not completely necessary (I know built-in GPS isn't a normal option but having the photo sync with a cell phone would work, etc.).

tia
Wildmen03
AG
I bought a Canon Elph 340 HS a few years ago because I wanted basically the same thing, a great zoom that I couldn't get with my phone. I've used it 2 maybe three times. For the most part it sits in the drawer at home.
GarlandAg2012
AG
My fiance wants the same thing so I started doing some research. The consensus among camera people seems to be that a PnS in that price range with a zoom that long will have such a small sensor that the quality of the photos in anything other than the brightest of daylight will really be lacking. Cell phones have just killed the cheap PnS until big sensors get cheaper.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I would pick up a used micro 4/3, specifically Olympus e-PM2 with a 25mm f1.4, 20mm f1.7, or 12-35mm f2.8.

Not a point and shoot but mirrorless interchangeable that is very compact while giving you phenomenal results.

There are tons of used u43 bodies out there.. both Olympus and Panasonic (Lumix) that are on a same platform and the lenses are interchangeable.
Frozen Concoction
AggieDruggist89 said:

I would pick up a used micro 4/3, specifically Olympus e-PM2 with a 25mm f1.4, 20mm f1.7, or 12-35mm f2.8.

Not a point and shoot but mirrorless interchangeable that is very compact while giving you phenomenal results.

There are tons of used u43 bodies out there.. both Olympus and Panasonic (Lumix) that are on a same platform and the lenses are interchangeable.

Any tips on where to search for used camera bodies. I've looked, but I can't seem to find much at a discount vs. newer models.
Mr. Dubi
Frozen Concoction said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Any tips on where to search for used camera bodies. I've looked, but I can't seem to find much at a discount vs. newer models.
Keh camera
G Martin 87
AG
I bought a Canon G9X recently as a daily carry/travel camera for situations where I didn't want to carry my DSLR. I love it.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I have bought and sold more than 1/2 of my u43 gear from here. Never had a bad experience as I recognized most of the sellers and buyers who are contributors to the forum.

https://www.mu-43.com/forums/member-buy-sell-trade.17/
Frozen Concoction
Thanks, guys. I would never have found those sites.
jay040
I enjoy the Panasonic Lunix series due to their high optical zoom.
ATL Aggie
AG
I highly recommended keh, everything I have bought from them was in better condition than I expected based on their advertised condition.
AggieFrog
AG
Canon G16 is a good option as well.
agracer
AG
Sony RX100...there are 4 versions still out you can purchse. It is continually rated as one of the best P&S cameras out there. It has a 1" sensor and will take RAW photos if you want them.

KEH Rx100
schmendeler
AG
get rid of the DSLR and put the money toward a Fuji X100F. you'll enjoy it a lot more and the image quality will be just as good as or better than your DSLR.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.