Wired Home Security Cameras

2,414 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MrJonMan
MrJonMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did some searching and found an old post on here that mentioned Ubiquiti as being a great option for wired cameras.

This still a consensus? Would like at least 4 cameras but possibly more & after looking at the Costco and Best Buy systems, I'm starting to think I need to spend a little more to avoid the Swann, Lorex or Night Owl options.

I don't want a wireless set up, simply because I don't want to have to change/replace batteries a 2-3 times per year.

POE is a plus but I don't think it's a necessity, being able to view from phone is a requirement.

Appreciate it
Average Joe
AG
Are you going to use the UBNT nvr? Or a third party? I like Hikvision cameras myself. They have a much larger variety of cameras to choose from, work with multiple NVRs, and can tie into most security systems.
MrJonMan
AG
Average Joe said:

Are you going to use the UBNT nvr? Or a third party? I like Hikvision cameras myself. They have a much larger variety of cameras to choose from, work with multiple NVRs, and can tie into most security systems.

I'm open to all suggestions...just simply found the Ubiquiti recommendation on an old thread. NVR and cameras I'm all ears
dave99ag
AG
I'm running a Ubiquiti NVR w/ 2 G3 cams on a Windows 10 box. Setup isn't too difficult if you know your way around a network. I'd definitely say it's for the IT crowd and not a normal home user. I also have their UniFi Security Gateway and 2 AP-Pros on their 150w 8 port POE switch. Probably a bit overkill for home, but I like to tinker with that stuff anyway.
Madmarttigan
AG
For low tech people our Nest camera seems to work well. I'm not a big fan of the Ring doorbell app, always seems very slow and clunky for me if it even loads at all. Nest and 3D touch on Apple make things pretty simple just get a notification and press on it and see a clip of the motion it detects to see if its anything.
Average Joe
AG
dave99ag said:

I'm running a Ubiquiti NVR w/ 2 G3 cams on a Windows 10 box. Setup isn't too difficult if you know your way around a network. I'd definitely say it's for the IT crowd and not a normal home user. I also have their UniFi Security Gateway and 2 AP-Pros on their 150w 8 port POE switch. Probably a bit overkill for home, but I like to tinker with that stuff anyway.

If you are going to do anything UBNT related then this is how you have to do it. They like their own products much more than playing with others.
Jethro95
AG
I ended up with a mix of Dahua and Hikvision POE cameras that I got from Amazon and aliexpress. For an app I used IP Cam Viewer which is a generic app that works with tons of cameras.
jaggiemaggie
AG
This is the one i got from costco. Setup was pretty easy. Downloaded the app, scanned the QR code with app and it was set up. The fan is a little loud but been happy so far.

Lorex camera
MrJonMan
AG
Actually looked st that one in store yesterday
UmustBKidding
And make sure you have the updated Dahua firmware or you will be broadcasting to the world. Unfortunately many camera systems are built by a few Chinese companies that have no clue about security and are vulnerable to all sort of problems. And when a problem is discovered people don't realize that their brand x camera system was actually made by one of the affected companies. I personally would not buy a system today from a company that I did not know and was confident that security updates would be provided. Even reputable companies have issues but highly unlikely you will be notified about and provided firmware updates for a system bought at a big box store.
Jethro95
AG
Yes, I checked them as soon as the Mirai botnet news came out and then confirmed that they were not vulnerable to attack by telnet.
jaggiemaggie
AG
rain a long hdmi cable to tv from DVR location. Like I said, the only "complain" I would have is the fan noise, but I guess one good thing is that if I don't hear the fan humming, then I know it's not working.
MrJonMan
AG
I forgot I have a friend who know works as a consultant in the industry after years of owning his own monitoring company

He can get me an 8ch 2TB NVR from HIKVision for $330, plus 4 dome cameras, 2.1mp IR POE for $240

I want to start with 4 cameras and add more in the future
MrJonMan
AG
Is 2.1mp plenty?
UmustBKidding
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/03/dahua-hikvision-iot-devices-under-siege/
MrJonMan
AG
FOr $99ea I can get the 3mp instead
FatZilla
AG
MrJonMan said:

Is 2.1mp plenty?
Well above the standard for home use already. Most in the 1-1.5 range. You can find higher but your going to pay $70+ per camera usually. Example 4MP camera and the Dome version
MrJonMan
AG
So make sure it has the latest firmware
MrJonMan
AG
This is what I'm looking at right now.....any opinions?

Camera: OE-31DF28
https://m.adiglobal.us/h5/pdp?fullPath=%2FPages%2FProduct.aspx&pid=0E-31DF28&category=3810

NVR: OE-82TP1UN
https://m.adiglobal.us/h5/pdp?fullPath=%2FPages%2FProduct.aspx&pid=0E-82TP1UN&Category=3820

Or Flir

NVR: DNR1141
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1257053-REG/flir_dnr1181_dnr1100_series_8_channel_5mp.html

Camera: N133ED.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1236003-REG/flir_2_x_2_1mp_outdoor.html
MrJonMan
AG
Or just go with the Lorex linked above for $500 from Costco?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.