Frontier (FiOS) vs. Spectrum - moving to Plano

6,035 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TravelAg2004
Jack Bristow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Moving into my new apt complex and the options are Frontier and Spectrum. I am honestly clueless about the difference. Any insight or advice would be appreciated.
TAMUallen
AG
Avoid frontier like the plague. Bought markets from Verizon fios and managed to somehow screw them up completely

I switched to Spectrum and have had zero problems. Cheaper too!
Brick Tamland
Spectrum
Absolute
AG
How is the spectrum DVr as far as disk size, and features? Do they have the wireless satellite units for other rooms?

I too left Frontier after they somehow managed to screw up a service that was basically flawless for 12 years. I got dish and overall don't love it. May consider a switch to spectrum.
FL_Ag1998
AG
TAMUallen said:

Avoid frontier like the plague. Bought markets from Verizon fios and managed to somehow screw them up completely

I switched to Spectrum and have had zero problems. Cheaper too!

This x 1000. Never...never, ever, ever, ever, ever willingly sign up for Frontier. I'm counting down the months until I can get out of my contract with them (which was initially with Verizon).
Jack Bristow
AG
So...what y'all are saying is, go with Frontier?!?....

Kidding, thank you for the feedback. I have an appointment set up with Spectrum for Friday.

Do you recommend using a modem of theirs or gettin my own?
ChoppinDs40
AG
Spectrum internet + PlayStation Vue = tv and internet for $94 a month.

Thank me later.
Candiru
AG
Bump for the question about using Spectrum's modem (supposedly free) vs getting and using your own?
TexAgsAnon
Frontier is fine. They were a little spotty during the Verizon transition but I've not had any issues with them, moving to a new address was easy with them, and their customer service has been fine so far as well.

Also, they terminated my contract as part of the Verizon transition because I demanded it. You guys need to learn how to treat companies!
FL_Ag1998
AG
TexAgsAnon said:

Frontier is fine. They were a little spotty during the Verizon transition but I've not had any issues with them, moving to a new address was easy with them, and their customer service has been fine so far as well.

Also, they terminated my contract as part of the Verizon transition because I demanded it. You guys need to learn how to treat companies!

Pfffftttt, everyone has their own experiences, but right now I'm getting HBO free for 6 months from Frontier because they've screwed up my monthly bill so many times.

Has their customer service gotten better since they took over Verizon (like it was some surprise to them it was happening) and had the absolute worst customer service I've ever experienced? Sure, but its not hard to improve when you start out by employing a third-party call center in India with operators who can't speak English.
AustinAg2K
I will probably be dropping Frontier next month, and I am also considering Spectrum. One thing I'm curious about is how consistent their speeds are. I haven't had a cable ISP since the late 90s when your speed could drastically vary depending on how many people in your neighborhood were on at the same time. Is that still an issue with cable? Or are your speeds pretty reliable now?
IrishAg
Candiru said:

Bump for the question about using Spectrum's modem (supposedly free) vs getting and using your own?
It's a personal choice thing if they're offering it for free. Being on Spectrum/Time Warner for the last 8 years they've changed the rent charge for the cable modem multiple times, so I said screw it bought my own cable modem just to make sure I didn't have a surprise charge one month due to a change in T&Cs, plus I just like to know that I have control over the modem and a company can't back end their way into it one day.
IrishAg
AustinAg2K said:

I will probably be dropping Frontier next month, and I am also considering Spectrum. One thing I'm curious about is how consistent their speeds are. I haven't had a cable ISP since the late 90s when your speed could drastically vary depending on how many people in your neighborhood were on at the same time. Is that still an issue with cable? Or are your speeds pretty reliable now?
I'm in McKinney, and I rarely miss topping out at 10% above top speed on my package on download and right at my upload speed on the 200/20 package that I've had for 3 or 4 years now. The speeds are pretty consistent, and I don't really see any congestion issues (other than the odd blip that every company gets now and again), and I use the internet a lot as I work from home, connect into multiple remote servers with large transfers, and we stream most of our TV/Movies (we use the Spectrum Roku app to turn it into a STB in the house on all TV's except 1).
Rice and Fries
What are the boards opinions on Frontier FIOS vs Spectrum now?
TAMU-93
AG
I have experience with both.

Frontier has a great product. It is reliable. It has symmetrical upload and download speeds. And speed isn't affected during high-volume times. But they give zero f*cks about customer service.

Spectrum's product isn't as good. It is also reliable. The upload and download speeds are incredibly variable. And the slow upload speed sucks. But their customer service is better than Frontier's, but it's still bad.
permabull
AG
EastSideAg2002
FiOS under Verizon was great. Frontier made it suck to deal with and was expensive. I switched to Spectrum in May because the deal cut a huge chunk of my bill. However, do not let them convince you that the apps are a replacement for a box. The reps will tell you that the Firestick works. It does not and its not even supported by Spectrum. Roku is, but the app is always going down. I will also most likely be banjoing between the two.
TravelAg2004
AG
We just moved and I got FIOS with Frontier and haven't had any issues. $50/month no contract and 200mbps down and up. (Granted, that's wired, not on WiFi).

It's been great so far, for the week or so we've had it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.