WIFI Extender?

6 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Worm01
Worm01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My WiFi router is it the top corner of my house, so only covers about 75% of the house. It won't reach my Rainbird controller at all, so the wireless never works. I tried a plug-in extender from Netgear, but it sucks. Less than half the speed and drops altogether several times/day. My router is dual band (2.4ghz and 5ghz), and the 5g is WAY faster. I am told it's likely due to more interference on the 2.4g band from things like baby monitors, etc. The extender I tried is also dual band, but the 2.4g band is basically useless and the 5g isn't much better. It was cheap anyway. I need a good one, preferably dual band.

The router is the one issued by XFinity, but I'm open to replacing it as well. I think XFinity lets you provide your own.
LostInLA07
AG
Google Wifi works and is idiot proof. I'm sure there is a better more cost effective option but the google option is very simple.
TecRecAg
AG
I used Air Ties. Work really well.
Chrundle the Great
AG
First, I'd look to see what type of radio antenna the Rainbird has. More than likely it's 2.4 only so I wouldn't worry too much about 5g extenders. Second, extenders (in basic terms as it's been explained to me) take what ever signal you have at that spot, cut it down a little, and pass it along further. So I'd make sure your plugging the extender in somewhere the signal is already pretty good. If that doesn't exist I'd definitely consider a new router.
TexasAggie_02
AG
is your house wired with ethernet? just buy another router, set it up as an extender (instead of a router) and plug it into an Ethernet port in your WiFi dead zone.
stridulent
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

is your house wired with ethernet? just buy another router, set it up as an extender (instead of a router) and plug it into an Ethernet port in your WiFi dead zone.
This. Also try changing the channel that the wifi is broadcasting on. Your neighbors may all be using the default channel as well which can also cause clutter in the broadcast.
Worm01
AG
No, unfortunately my house isn't wired. Only Ethernet port I have is at the router.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.