Robot vacuums

9,599 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by YouBet
zurcaled11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieFrankTX said:

nai06 said:

Enviroag02 said:

I just have the regular Neato D Series and had the same question regarding the connected versions. My neighbor got the Neato Connected and really the only big difference is that he can see on his mobile app the exact path it took and areas it missed. That's pretty cool but not sure it's worth the extra $.
I have a D3 Connected. I basically run the whole thing through the app. I like the ability to be able to pause, restart, return to base, etc. It also gives cleaning maps and shows the areas it may have missed. Its a nice feature to have but maybe not a deal breaker for some.
The mapping may be "cool," but can you use it for any functional purpose? For instance, can you tell it to clean room X twice as often as it cleans room Z? Or is it merely a "gee-whiz" feature?
My guess is that you could see areas where it may have missed that might not have been obvious and perhaps rearrange furniture or spot clean with the vacuum or clean that area yourself.
jpb1999
AG
I found the Neato Botvac D5 on sale at Best Buy for $399... The D5 seemed to be the first model that has the side brush and could do multiple floor plans (although not sure what that means yet). Plus there would have been a large jump up in price to the D6.

Our Roomba stopped working, but it was chaos theory anyway and wanted something more efficient with being in a bigger house now.

Thanks for all the info and tips in this thread!

Spane Bohem

jpb1999
AG
I almost backtracked and wanted to upgrade to the D6 after I read some more things on how to set up the D5 that confused me. It turns out, from what i gathered so far, is that the set up videos I watched were on the original D5, but this past fall Neato upgraded the D5 systems to enable the virtual mapping/no-go boundary features that were originally only on the D7 and the D6.

It seems now the ONLY advantage from the D5 to the D6 is the 90 minute to 120 minute run time increase. The other is the roller/brush type, but I think you can buy the upgraded roller for $39 if you want that one...

Am I missing anything else or not correct in my understanding?

With the sale price of $399 for the D5, it just doesn't seem like there is enough benefit in the D6($599) to justify spending another $200 on it...

Spane Bohem

texag06ish
AG
We have a Roomba that's about 9 years old. The one thing I will say is that they are very well engineered and constructed. No clips, pop rivets or soldering between parts. Everything comes apart and is engineered to go back together. Parts are easy to track down and with some patience, you can fix anything that breaks.

On the other hand, our model is the older random type and the bumping has created clack marks along our baseboards and on the bottoms of our furniture.

It did a great job keeping up with the hair from our Aussie (RIP Harley).
YouBet
AG
jpb1999 said:

I almost backtracked and wanted to upgrade to the D6 after I read some more things on how to set up the D5 that confused me. It turns out, from what i gathered so far, is that the set up videos I watched were on the original D5, but this past fall Neato upgraded the D5 systems to enable the virtual mapping/no-go boundary features that were originally only on the D7 and the D6.

It seems now the ONLY advantage from the D5 to the D6 is the 90 minute to 120 minute run time increase. The other is the roller/brush type, but I think you can buy the upgraded roller for $39 if you want that one...

Am I missing anything else or not correct in my understanding?

With the sale price of $399 for the D5, it just doesn't seem like there is enough benefit in the D6($599) to justify spending another $200 on it...
I have the D5 and just noticed the no-go boundary feature. Will set that up this week. I don't see the advantage in the run-time increase especially if you are just setting and forgetting to run during the day while at work. Mine simply makes 2 runs so it can finish the floor plan. I'm not there so who cares.

The only issue I've had with it is that the app frequently drops my WiFi connection and I have to set it up again. I don't know if it's my phone or the D5. Beginning to think it's my phone because I have two other devices at home my phone will just flat out not connect with over WiFi.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.