Atmosphere & DTS:X

645 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aezmvp
aezmvp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This got touched on this on another thread. Does anyone have experience with this over a 7.1 setup?
agdoc2001
AG
Do you mean Atmos?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aezmvp
Yes. Stupid autocorrect.
agdoc2001
AG
If a friend told me they had 7.1 and wanted to upgrade, the 1st thing I'd suggest is going to 7.2. A second sub will smooth out the bass response in your room and would probably be a more noticeable improvement than the 4 in ceiling speakers for Atmos.

Atmos support is a bit hit or miss at the moment. Most streaming services don't support it and not even all new releases on blu-ray are mixed with Atmos support. Basically, if you already had a receiver that supported it - I'd say sure, throw in 4 cheap in ceiling speakers. If it required buying a new receiver, that's tougher to justify - especially as support for Dolby Vision isn't present in a lot of current receivers and will likely require a new purchase if you need it in the future.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aezmvp
agdoc2001 said:

If a friend told me they had 7.1 and wanted to upgrade, the 1st thing I'd suggest is going to 7.2. A second sub will smooth out the bass response in your room and would probably be a more noticeable improvement than the 4 in ceiling speakers for Atmos.

Atmos support is a bit hit or miss at the moment. Most streaming services don't support it and not even all new releases on blu-ray are mixed with Atmos support. Basically, if you already had a receiver that supported it - I'd say sure, throw in 4 cheap in ceiling speakers. If it required buying a new receiver, that's tougher to justify - especially as support for Dolby Vision isn't present in a lot of current receivers and will likely require a new purchase if you need it in the future.

Looking at a completely new setup and I was looking at running butt kickers instead of a second sub.
NColoradoAG
Definitely get two subs if you're going from the ground up. It makes a huge difference.

I'd go ahead and build an atmos capable system too if it's in the budget. It only makes it that much better for an Atmos enabled blu ray, while not taking anything away from a TrueHD or other track.

There's not a ton of support out there, but blu rays are trickling out and VUDU supports Atmos streaming.
agdoc2001
AG
aezmvp said:

agdoc2001 said:

Looking at a completely new setup and I was looking at running butt kickers instead of a second sub.
If building from the ground up (and you're a podcast guy), subscribe to AVRant. Their advice has been ridiculously helpful as I've built my system.
aezmvp
agdoc2001 said:

aezmvp said:

agdoc2001 said:

If building from the ground up (and you're a podcast guy), subscribe to AVRant. Their advice has been ridiculously helpful as I've built my system.
I'll do that. I don't really want to blow out a budget here as we're upgrading the house and having to furnish and whatnot, I'm not going over a budget for this kind of stuff. I might upgrade in 5-10 years but no sense spending more than $1500 on audio when I need to set up stuff elsewhere in a house. Still I'd like to get a reasonable system for that price and maximize the experience.

Anyone have experience with a sub and then running Butt Kickers?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.