Recommendation on a Cell Phone Signal Booster/Repeater

615 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by labmansid
civilized05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I've got some property with an old mobile home on a hill about half way down. Service in the shack is pretty spotty and pretty much limited to the random text message squeaking through. If we want to make calls or have any decent internet/smartphone service, we've got to hoof it up to the top of the hill.

What would be the best recommendation for a signal booster (or similar) that I could mount high up on an exterior antenna high enough to gather phone signal, and then relay/repeat that to a hub or hotspot in the house so that we've got better service indoors?

I've looked on Amazon at the weBoost kit and some other booster/repeater kits, but nothing seems to have overwhelmingly positive reviews. Hopefully you guys can help out. The main cell service is AT&T if that makes a difference on antenna frequency or whatnot.
labmansid
They aren't cheap, but the Wilson Electronics home boosters are probably some of the best and are exactly what you describe. I had one when we lived on a property on the fringe of cell reception, plus our house had that foil backed insulation in the attic. Getting a signal in the house was extremely spotty, if not impossible.

I already had a tower outside for a TV and internet antenna, and put the Wilson outside antenna on it. Improved our signal immensely. You need to run a cable from outside to where you will place the indoor antenna. You also do need to have at least some cell signal available nearby. If you are in an area with truly no service, it will not help. Hope that helps.

I see now while searching that it looks like the Wilson brand has probably changed to the weBoost brand.
hph6203
AG
My parents have a directional antenna from Wilson and it has boosted their signal from spotty 1 bar to 3-4 bars of signal. It's their sole source of internet.
labmansid
hph6203 said:

My parents have a directional antenna from Wilson and it has boosted their signal from spotty 1 bar to 3-4 bars of signal. It's their sole source of internet.
Yes, that sounds about like my experience. They are directional, so you have to determine what direction the nearest cell tower is from you, and then fine tune the pointing of the outside antenna. Once dialed in, however, it worked pretty well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.