Old School Starcraft is now free

2,175 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AtlAg05
TexasAggie_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Starcraft and Starcraft: Brood War are now free

https://starcraft.com/en-us/articles/20674424

I remember installing and playing starcraft in the SCC on campus back in the day. Which is weird when you think about it, you were able to install software on the Windows NT machines. I also installed AOL instant messenger on every SCC computer is ever used.
Phat32
AG
Picked it up and then consequently spent the rest of the evening playing Red Alert 2. Damnit.
AtlAg05
AG
Downloaded last night, fired it up to see if it would work. Might try to play some tonight, does multiplayer over battle.net work?
wangus12
AG
Pretty sure I saw somewhere that they are doing a remastered edition of those games soon
hunter2012
AG
You must construct additional pylons
Stasco
AG
Make it happen.
Stasco
AG
Set a course.
Dro07
AG
Did the Cinematic stuff get updated as well?
tamusc
AG
dromo07 said:

Did the Cinematic stuff get updated as well?

Not for this version, which is just a version of the original game patched to work better on modern hardware.

Blizzard is doing a complete remaster to be released later this year hat will improve graphics, audio, cinematics and compatibility with the updated Blizzard app launcher.
redline248
AG
Will all that be free, too?
tamusc
AG
redline248 said:

Will all that be free, too?
Doubtful, though they haven't released any price or launch date info other than "later in 2017".
Madmarttigan
AG
Already downloaded it this morning and I will probably buy the remaster. I just wish they would remaster D2
AtlAg05
AG
I was able to jump on the old school battle.net via Starcraft. We might need to have some multiplayer games this weekend. Who's in?
Hagen95
AG
I got it running last night and set up for online but there weren't very many people logged into battle.net in the US. I was not prepared to hit the Korean servers.
Madmarttigan
AG
Would anyone know why I am unable to join multiplayer games?

Every game I try to join it just says unable to join.
NCNJ1217
AG
I am going to give this a try. So much fun back in the day.
texasaggie04
AG
This is awesome. I wish Warcraft II were free somewhere (is it?). I'm feeling nostalgic for that game too.
reb,
AG
tv1113 said:

too many ladder match disconnections?
jamaggie06
AG
Back in the day I was an lolpoor and had a slow modem. No one would play with me... always got booted.

So I had to beat up on the game AI itself...
AtlAg05
AG
tv1113 said:

I was able to create a game, promptly got killed by AI. But I know it asks me if I want to whitelist battle.net every time I connect.
NCNJ1217
AG
Maybe should have started a new thread, but Starcraft Remastered is almost here. August 2017 release date. Ultra HD graphics on the original game. Judging by the below gameplay video, it looks amazing.

Gameplay starts around 4:45
Madmarttigan
AG
I think I may be more excited that it will be integrated with the current battle net system for playing with friends, right?

Wish they would do this with D2
AtlAg05
AG
There is an unnamed Diablo project happening. Most have thought it was D4, but maybe it's doing a remaster of D2?

Seems SC and Diablo had huge followings (never looked at the copies sold before) and with them doing a remastered SC, D2 remastered isn't too crazy a thought.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.