Nintendo to release SNES-mini?

3,723 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Fife
Max Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SIAP

http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/a14381/snes-nintendo-nes-classic-edition-re-release-leak/
aezmvp
More likely to purchase this than the NES mini.
wee_ag
AG
They'll make 20.

Nintendo has no idea what they are doing.
titanmaster_race
wee_ag said:

They'll make 20.

just another nintendo item that scumbags will buy up and resell for way more than it's worth
Wildmen06
AG
wee_ag said:

They'll make 20.

They know exactly what they are doing. They limit supply on purpose so people buy them up the second they hit the shelves.
spieg12
AG
Not hard to do when there are 3 on the shelf.
nai06
AG
ftab06 said:

wee_ag said:

They'll make 20.

They know exactly what they are doing. They limit supply on purpose so people buy them up the second they hit the shelves.
Not really. They limited the supply without inflating the price. They could have priced it at $100 and still sold double what they produced. They left money on the table.
Madmarttigan
AG
And by the time they are actually available the hype will be over...... and more money left on the table
GiveEmHellBill
AG
ftab06 said:

wee_ag said:

They'll make 20.

Seriously?

I'd say roughly 90% of the people who actually want one could not find one. And now Nintendo has discontinued them. How exactly do they know what they are doing?
nai06
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

ftab06 said:

wee_ag said:

They'll make 20.

Seriously?

I'd say roughly 90% of the people who actually want one could not find one. And now Nintendo has discontinued them. How exactly do they know what they are doing?
count me as one of those that wanted one, but refused to pay the secondary market prices
Flashdiaz
AG
ftab06 said:

wee_ag said:

They'll make 20.

would you rather sell 20 units at $100 in one day

or 200 units at $100 over a month's time?
agfan2013
AG
I'd be more likely to buy this one vs the original mini since i actually had a super nintendo back in the day. But I'm still leaning the raspberry pi route, doesnt seem too difficult and I have zero technical talent....

Those of you that are mad about the supply issue, why dont yall just build one of those? Its about the same price and you can have way more games than what come on these stock machines from nintendo. Is it just wanting to have something that's officially licensed by them? Nostalgia?

And agreed on the comments that they will probably under produce these as well, they definitely left money on the table with the original mini.
rbcs_2
AG
I know the rumors swirling are about an SNES mini, but I think they are more likely to release an NES mini v2.

I also think they pulled the plug on the original because of hacking.
The Fife
nai06 said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

ftab06 said:

wee_ag said:

They'll make 20.

Seriously?

count me as one of those that wanted one, but refused to pay the secondary market prices
Seconded. I'll just emulate instead I guess.

FWIW They're going for $250 used / $400 new on local Craigslist. Forget that.
Al Bula
AG
I spent less than $15 bucks on a USB NES/SNES controller and have all the roms available on my Surface. No need to buy a new old console.
tamusc
AG
agfan2013 said:

I'd be more likely to buy this one vs the original mini since i actually had a super nintendo back in the day. But I'm still leaning the raspberry pi route, doesnt seem too difficult and I have zero technical talent....

Those of you that are mad about the supply issue, why dont yall just build one of those? Its about the same price and you can have way more games than what come on these stock machines from nintendo. Is it just wanting to have something that's officially licensed by them? Nostalgia?

And agreed on the comments that they will probably under produce these as well, they definitely left money on the table with the original mini.
I WANT to do it legally if possible and the NES Classic is really the only practical way to do it.

Since they decided to produce not nearly enough AND have already discontinued it, I have zero issues downloading all the ROMs I can find.
permabull
AG
agfan2013
AG
Ah, good point on wanting to do it the right way.

I still own my old Nintendo systems so doesn't that mean I can technically own the roms legally? That's how I've always understood it. Used to have a N64 emulator on my computer but I still have the original console and cartridges in my closet.

Quote:

Also if they can't get Rare to license with then there are a few snes gems that will be missing from this device.

Agreed. If they don't have donkey kong country (all three would be preferable, but at least the first) that would be a major fail.
spieg12
AG
You have to own the physical copy of the game to be able to download the ROM legally.
schmendeler
AG
I've yet to meet someone that actually owns the nes classic.
nai06
AG
schmendeler said:

I've still got mine and it works! its just a PITA to hook it up to modern tvs
tamusc
AG
nai06 said:

schmendeler said:

I think he's talking about the recently released and already discontinued version, not the original NES that was released in the 80's.
Mucho austin
AG
I own one. My 6 year old loves it. Its fun to play it with him.
boboguitar
AG
I just happened to be in the right place at the right time and bought a NES classic at target last saturday.

Me and my wife have spent every evening playing super mario bros 3.
schmendeler
AG
tamusc said:

nai06 said:

schmendeler said:

I think he's talking about the recently released and already discontinued version, not the original NES that was released in the 80's.

Correct
AZAG08
AG
boboguitar said:

Me and my wife have spent every evening playing super mario bros 3.
+1
BosAG06
AG
schmendeler said:

I lucked into one early on when Walmart was running them at 4pm daily for a week last fall. Somehow I beat the bots, the website was crashing like crazy. Sucks that they never ramped up supply like they promised. It's a cool little console.
Raptor
AG
My Raspberry Pi has every game imaginable, but I can't save them as continue.

Also, no Duck Hunt.

Nevertheless, I'd rather keep my <$100 setup and no saving pi, than pay 8-10x what something is worth.
flakrat
AG
If it has Star Fox and SmashTv I'm in
aTm2004
AG
nai06 said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

ftab06 said:

wee_ag said:

They'll make 20.

Seriously?

Me three
rbcs_2
AG
A couple of weeks ago Best Buy's online store had a big supply of NES Classics and I almost pulled the trigger. I talked myself out of it because I already owned about half of the games, and would rarely use it. Now I wish I had so I could be a jerk and sell it at huge profits.
jr15aggie
AG
Does the NES classic allow you to have "save states" like other modern emulators???

For me that is a big deal. So many games back then were designed as quarter munchers and were downright ridiculous in design. For example, I recently beat Strider on a Genesis emulator... give me a friggin break... very short game but hell bent on death and sucking quarters if you wanted to beat it.

Save states are kind of a must if I'm going to enjoy games that are 20-30 years old.

boboguitar
AG
jr15aggie said:

Does the NES classic allow you to have "save states" like other modern emulators???

For me that is a big deal. So many games back then were designed as quarter munchers and were downright ridiculous in design. For example, I recently beat Strider on a Genesis emulator... give me a friggin break... very short game but hell bent on death and sucking quarters if you wanted to beat it.

Save states are kind of a must if I'm going to enjoy games that are 20-30 years old.

Yes it does.
tamusc
AG
jr15aggie said:

Yes, I believe it does.
boboguitar
AG
A retropi is still better than the nes classic but the reason I pulled the trigger on it is because I imagine with so few being made, it will be a collectors item one day.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.