TV Decisions

1,833 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Absolute
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So the house I moved into 2 years ago has a much deeper living room. Our 52" Sharp (which has been a workhorse for 8 years now) is a little small for how deep that living room is. Most of the viewers are sitting between 15-20 feet from the TV.

I really think a 75" TV would be fine, but those are pricey. So I'm looking in the 65" to 70" range. I had not done any TV research in years, but what I've read over the last 2 days is that the 4K TVs are minimal difference, but HDR is a pretty big difference.

I've just about decided to get a very budget conscious TV for now, and let the HDR and Dolby vision stuff come down in price before I jump into that.

Oh and we have PSVue and use an antenna to pull in OTA channels. Any recommendations for a decently price TV in that range?
fig96
AG
Would help if you defined "that range" as far as price

I've been looking a bit recently (just moved into a place with an upstairs tv room) and it seems like there's some really solid 4k tv's that are only a hair more than a really good 1080p set. Personally I'm considering a 55" Sony 850D or something similar.

213 Grove
AG
I just bought this 60" Vizio from Walmart and my parents bought 3 of the 65" versions and we have been happy with them so far. Hard to beat for the price

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-SmartCast-60-Class-E-Series-mdash-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-LED-TV-mdash-2160p-120Hz-E60-E3/54518165
agnerd
AG
At 15' away, you won't begin to be able to tell the difference between 4k and 1080p until your screen size hits 120"

boy09
AG
My parents bought one of those Vizio's recently too. Not really a big deal, but something to note is that it does not have a built-in tuner to be able to hook up an OTA antenna. I thought it was odd, I didn't even know they made TVs without them these days.
irish pete ag06
AG
agnerd said:

At 15' away, you won't begin to be able to tell the difference between 4k and 1080p until your screen size hits 120"

Great info. After I posted I ran across some sites that showed me that. This has me considering bargain shopping for 1080p tvs.
irish pete ag06
AG
fig96 said:

I've been looking a bit recently (just moved into a place with an upstairs tv room) and it seems like there's some really solid 4k tv's that are only a hair more than a really good 1080p set. Personally I'm considering a 55" Sony 850D or something similar.

Really hoping to get something for less than $1,000, but I'm willing to spend more if the future proofing made it worth it.
aezmvp
boy09 said:

My parents bought one of those Vizio's recently too. Not really a big deal, but something to note is that it does not have a built-in tuner to be able to hook up an OTA antenna. I thought it was odd, I didn't even know they made TVs without them these days.
This. The reason is that so many people don't use OTA anymore. The lower end have them anything midrange or above (the M, P and Reference at least) all do not. I'm a big fan of Vizio because of the value you get.
aezmvp
irish pete ag06 said:

fig96 said:

Really hoping to get something for less than $1,000, but I'm willing to spend more if the future proofing made it worth it.
The biggest improvement in image quality is HDR and WCG (Wide Color Gamut?) not the 4k. I'd also look for dimming zones as it will give you more accurate blacks (generally) the higher that is.
TxAg82
AG
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch

I went with the Samsung KS8000 and am very happy with the decision. I actually bought the Vizio M Series first but was not happy with the brightness levels in my well lit living room.
aezmvp
TxAg82 said:

I went with the Samsung KS8000 and am very happy with the decision. I actually bought the Vizio M Series first but was not happy with the brightness levels in my well lit living room.

I wonder how it would perform in a media room?

If there is a lot of direct light that would be something to consider.
tamusc
AG
agnerd said:

The average person can't, but some can.

On top of that, current 4K TVs with HDR and WCG are going to be far superior to any 1080p you can find now since they won't have either of those features. The closest you could find would be some of the old plasmas, but no one makes those anymore.
spieg12
AG
TxAg82 said:

I too went the M series route in a 55" but was unhappy with the picture quality so I returned it and went with the KS8000 also in a 55". Much happier with picture quality. Plus the vizio did not fully support the HDR coming from my PS4 and the Samsung does. I also use an OTA antenna so that was another reason I didn't like the Vizio.

I know some people say the Vizio is amazing and a good buy since they are cheap but I feel with Tv's you get what you pay for.
tamusc
AG
The P series is excellent, but the M series definitely straddles the line of value/budget. Still a good TV for the money/size, but the P series and Samsung 8000 series are much better TVs.

Visio also added the support for HDR10 with a firmware update as well (last summer, I believe), so they support both HDR formats. The Samsung on the other hand only supports HDR10 and can't add Dolby Vision support since it currently requires additional hardware.
tamusc
AG
Side note, I know they're well outside the budget you mentioned above, but I got a chance to see the new Samsung QLED TVs in person next to a few LG OLED models and WOW they are really close to the OLEDs.

Just gorgeous picture quality. Hopefully having more competition at that quality level will start to drive down the prices.
irish pete ag06
AG
Just an update, but I've whittled my decisions down to 2 options:

• Buy a bargain bin 65" TV right now... There's a 65" Sceptre at Walmart right now that is dirt cheap with good reviews. I know a videophile would probably notice a bad picture, but I'd be switching from an 8 year old 1080P Sharp LCD, so the updated yet cheap technology would likely look good to my eye. I would probably go bargain shopping for an HDR in about 3-4 years when that technology becomes more mainstream. Also, I've noticed the price jump from 65" to 70+" is cavernous. My room could easily handle a 75", but I just can't justify the amount of extra $ it takes to get 5-10" more.
  • Wait a couple of months for the 2017 models to fully hit and try to get a clearance TV with HDR. I'm specifically interested in the cheap-o TCL 2017 series. They are adding some HDR and Dolby Vision models, and I love the Roku TV's operating system.

BEaggie08
AG
I'd give this a shot for a cheap 75"

LG 75UH6550
rbcs_2
AG
agnerd said:

I used to believe graphs like this, but after doing some experimenting and found it to be fairly inaccurate. At least for me.
The Fife
Another vote for the Samsung KS8000. Our family room has windows on two walls, one of which is a southwest wall and we don't run into trouble.
eric76
AG
agnerd said:

Exactly. And HD are more marketing than anything. You have to be quite close to the screen to see much difference and then you can't see the entire picture at once.

You only have about 6,000,000 cone cells in the eye. It doesn't make sense to have a tv with many more pixels than you can perceive.
eric76
AG
For what it's worth, my tv is an old Sony with a CRT.

The last thing I need is a tv that would make me want to watch tv more. I watch too much of it as it is.
Absolute
AG
Have the ks8000. Overall pretty happy with it. Had a spat of connection problems about a month in, but in the end think it was my router, as they have gone away since I switched to the Google mesh.

Would take a series look at the vizio p series as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.