New to Android...any tips?

2,848 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ag12thman
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey nerds, made the switch from an iPhone to a Pixel and I'm really liking it, a few random bits I'm having to get used to or figure out but it's been a pleasant transition overall.

I am brand new to Android, however, and could use a few tips and any recommendations you've got. The idea of being able to replace stock apps is weird to me at this point A few questions...

- Best texting app? It seems like I can't hide the message while still showing the sender with Messenger, I've been reading great things about Textra but am open to other options.

- Recommended e-mail app? I'm not unhappy with Gmail but open to options, I need to sync 3 Gmail accounts and a standard POP account.

EDIT: I'd also love to be able to get an unread message count badge but it seems like Android doesn't really do that.

- Best Twitter client? I got Flamingo and like it so far, but I'd like something that let you tap a message to see the message and replies/thread on a new screen instead of just expanding (don't think Flamingo does this). Love Tweetbot on iOS.

- Any other must have apps?

- Any must have games? Enjoy arcade style titles as well as puzzlers.

Any other general tips you've got are welcome as well. Thanks!
FatZilla
AG
fig96 said:

Hey nerds, made the switch from an iPhone to a Pixel and I'm really liking it, a few random bits I'm having to get used to or figure out but it's been a pleasant transition overall.

I am brand new to Android, however, and could use a few tips and any recommendations you've got. The idea of being able to replace stock apps is weird to me at this point A few questions...

- Best texting app? It seems like I can't hide the message while still showing the sender with Messenger, I've been reading great things about Textra but am open to other options.

- Recommended e-mail app? I'm not unhappy with Gmail but open to options, I need to sync 3 Gmail accounts and a standard POP account.

- Best Twitter client? I got Flamingo and like it so far, but I'd like something that let you tap a message to see the message and replies/thread on a new screen instead of just expanding (don't think Flamingo does this). Love Tweetbot on iOS.

- Any other must have apps?

- Any must have games? Enjoy arcade style titles as well as puzzlers.

Any other general tips you've got are welcome as well. Thanks!

Textra
K9 Mail
No clue on twitter

Tips:
Look into rooting your phone, once you have root privilege, you can install lots of good apps. AdBlocking apps, backup apps like titanium backup, root explorer etc.

Install the Amazon App Store as well, lots of free games in there that are normally paid games under the "Underground Apps" title. https://www.amazon.com/b?node=11350978011

For games just go into the Play Store, find a game you like and scroll down to similar games and start searching there. Makes it easy to fine a genre you like.
fig96
AG
Good stuff, thanks.

I don't know that I'll root my phone at this point, part of the appeal to the Pixel to me was getting Android as Google intended. If I ever find that I need some functionality that provides I'll totally consider it though.
aezmvp
If you really (and I mean really) want to customize your phone from launch screen, buttons, icon size, placement, etc. I'd recommend Nova Launcher. It can be a bit overwhelming at first because you can customize so much (including actions when you swipe icons in different directions, app drawers and so on) but if you want a truly awesome experience it's there. Also I'd check out a few of the keyboard options.

This is also a good list to start with:

http://phandroid.com/best-android-apps/
fig96
AG
Thanks, I've actually looked at Nova Launcher a bit, definitely looks interesting but I'm going to try sticking with the Pixel Launcher for now. That might be a bit too many options for me

Good link, thanks! Will definitely give that a look over.
FatZilla
AG
fig96 said:

Good stuff, thanks.

I don't know that I'll root my phone at this point, part of the appeal to the Pixel to me was getting Android as Google intended. If I ever find that I need some functionality that provides I'll totally consider it though.
Root doesn't change anything other than giving you more permissions. Your android OS doesn't change. You can change it with custom roms if you want though.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel

One of the best sites for android knowledge. Thats the Pixel forums.
heddleston
AG
i use Textra and stick with Gmail for that stuff

Nova is pretty popular, but im a big fan of Action Launcher.

Red Moon as a blue light filter at night

Googles keyboard has made great strides lately, but SwiftKey is a pretty dang good keyboard as well.

F-droid is a free open source app repository that bat has lots of good stuff in it.

im a fan of AndBible for my Bible app

Solid Explorer for file browsing

for rpg type games, anything made by Cory Trese, like Templar Battleforce
fig96
AG
Got it, thanks guys.
aezmvp
If you like the RPG stuff, there's a fair selection on Amazon Underground but with me I have most of the SquareSoft stuff. It usually goes on sale a few times a year. Love it. With a bluetooth controller I've played up through Final Fantasy IX. Now if only they would have an app viewer in VR....
fig96
AG
Thanks, not really into RPGs but may check one out at some point. I've also got a Daydream headset if anyone has any recommended apps there, it's been fun so far.

Been searching and testing a few apps and I'm impressed with EasyDo Mail after an hour or two with it:

http://www.easilydomail.com/
IrishAg
If you do switch over to Nova Launcher (which I highly suggest, as I think it has all the options of the default launcher plus more customization and theming), there is an add on app for unread badges on apps
TeslaUnread for Nova Launcher

I'm a big fan of Fenix for twitter (I did get it when it was on sale, but it's still my favorite twitter app)
Fenix for Twitter

One of my other primary apps I install on any Android phone I use is Today Calendar. By far, has the best widget of any calendar app for an agenda view of appointments (the link is a 7 day free trial)
Today Calendar 2017

Sorry all of these cost money or need an app that costs money (the unread badge), but those are 3 of my top must have apps for Android

fig96
AG
Thanks, and totally don't mind spending a few bucks for a solid app. After an afternoon using Textra I'd gladly have paid a few dollars for it.
jagouar1
AG
I like signal for messaging... lets me have my sms and slowly convert people to secure messaging/calling.

firefox as the webbrowser... lets you have all the same extensions as the desktop (lastpass, adblock, etc)

gmail or outlook for email... both work quite well.
FatZilla
AG
fig96 said:

Thanks, and totally don't mind spending a few bucks for a solid app. After an afternoon using Textra I'd gladly have paid a few dollars for it.

You can. It yas a pro version in the settings of the app. Gets rid of ads and other stuff.

One other thing you will want to do asap. Install Google Opinion Rewards app. Pays you for answering questions. Be sure to have location tracking on so it will generate surveys. Its paid me over $62 this last 10 months. Can spend it on anything in google play store or in the apps supported by play store.
fig96
AG
FatZilla said:

fig96 said:

You can. It yas a pro version in the settings of the app. Gets rid of ads and other stuff.

One other thing you will want to do asap. Install Google Opinion Rewards app. Pays you for answering questions. Be sure to have location tracking on so it will generate surveys. Its paid me over $62 this last 10 months. Can spend it on anything in google play store or in the apps supported by play store.
Ha, thanks. I totally don't think I've even seen an ad yet, more than happy to give them a few bucks.

And roger that on the Google app, will do that ASAP, thanks.
IrishAg
jagouar1 said:

I like signal for messaging... lets me have my sms and slowly convert people to secure messaging/calling.

firefox as the webbrowser... lets you have all the same extensions as the desktop (lastpass, adblock, etc)

gmail or outlook for email... both work quite well.

Also, throw me in for Signal, I use it for both too and having been on a crusade to convert my masses, lol. But right now I rotate through WhatsApp, Hangouts, and Signal thanks to my contact groups.

For the web browser, I've actually been using the beta of Samsung's internet browser (v 5.0). Of course you need to be on a Galaxy, but it's surprisingly fast, has built in capability for adblock extensions, and the battery use on it has been extremely optimized.

Also, if you are using an exchange server for email, then I would highly suggest checking out Nine, it's extremely pricey at $10, but wow, it has pretty much every feature that a desktop exchange client would. This is one of my must have apps, but it only works with exchange or the paid google apps email. But for a work phone, completely worth the money in my opinion (and is one of the main reasons I won't even touch an iPhone). For the rest of my email I use Gmail and ProtonMail.
spocktheweasel
SMS: Textra
Email: Bluemail

Other: Keeper (PW app)
ATL Aggie
AG
Nine is definitely worth the money if you use ms exchange server.
OD
Has anyone tried Microsoft's Arrow launcher. Also a new Android man (finally gave up on Windows phones), I've tried about a dozen, including Nova, and Arrow caught me off guard as it usually is not in anyone's top 10 list.
chase128
AG
Textra
Regular Twitter app in Night mode works great for me.
Gmail is all I use since I just have 1 account

I like the Google Now Launcher, but they are doing away with it soon. I can still keep using it, though. I don't think Nova Launcher (or any launcher in the app store) supports the Google Now pane when you swipe left on the Home screen.
fig96
AG
Thanks y'all. A week or two in and I'm liking it overall, though I didn't realize the lack of iMessage would affect the size of files sent via text so that's a bit of a bummer.

Currently using Textra for texting, Flamingo for Twitter, and Email by EasilyDo and very happy with all those so far.
javajaws
AG
After my iPhone made a close encounter with my driveway yesterday I decided to make the switch to Android with an s8 plus.

I have a collection of physical music I would like to download onto my phone. What would be:

1) The best way to get my music onto my phone,
2) What's the best app for playing non-streaming music.
3) What's the best way to create playlists - offline or on the phone with the app player itself?
AggieDruggist89
AG
javajaws said:

After my iPhone made a close encounter with my driveway yesterday I decided to make the switch to Android with an s8 plus.

I have a collection of physical music I would like to download onto my phone. What would be:

1) The best way to get my music onto my phone,
2) What's the best app for playing non-streaming music.
3) What's the best way to create playlists - offline or on the phone with the app player itself?

I believe you can install a micro SD card...right? I have all my music, pics, and movies on the card.
Ag12thman
AG
fig96 said:

Thanks y'all. A week or two in and I'm liking it overall, though I didn't realize the lack of iMessage would affect the size of files sent via text so that's a bit of a bummer.

Currently using Textra for texting, Flamingo for Twitter, and Email by EasilyDo and very happy with all those so far.
This is about the only thing that I do not like 1,000 times better in my switch from iOS to Android. Hopefully Android is working on their own version of this because I used to be able to send bigger files like short videos or higher quality pictures through iMessage.
Diggity
AG
Just use whatsapp. Agnostic messaging service with end to end encryption is.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Ag12thman said:

fig96 said:

This is about the only thing that I do not like 1,000 times better in my switch from iOS to Android. Hopefully Android is working on their own version of this because I used to be able to send bigger files like short videos or higher quality pictures through iMessage.

WhatsApp allows you to send full file videos, pictures, PDF, word... and everything. Then you can easily transfer those files to your microSD card to free up the memory on your phone. I've had many friends using iPhone and WhatsApp not able to send files and messages due to their phones running out of memory space.
Ag12thman
AG
Wow - I did not realize this. Thanks! I am still using the stock messaging app. I guess WhatsApp is a souped up text messaging app, then? What about Textra? I have heard of both have not tried either.
Diggity
AG
Textra is just an aftermarket SMS program. I like it better than most stock programs but whatsapp is going to allow you to have the features you liked in iMessage (larger files, better pics, videos, read and delivery receipts, etc).
Ag12thman
AG
Diggity said:

Textra is just an aftermarket SMS program. I like it better than most stock programs but whatsapp is going to allow you to have the features you liked in iMessage (larger files, better pics, videos, read and delivery receipts, etc).
Good to know - thanks. So, I am a little confused on what the difference is and just want to clarify before I spend money on it. Would I still use my stock SMS program for text messaging and whatsapp for MMS then? Would I have to use two separate apps depending on if I am just sending text versus sending larger files, better pics, vides, etc.?
Diggity
AG
Don't think whatsapp costs anything does it?

Yeah, it's two separate apps. I pretty much use whatsapp for people I know that have the app and textra for people that don't.
Ag12thman
AG
Thanks. I'll check them both out. The inability to send good quality short videos and other files to my brothers and other family members, who all have iPhones is about the only thing I have not liked about Android. Otherwise, my phone is far superior (speaking on my preferences at least) to an iPhone.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Whatsapp also allows wifi phone calls and video calls.

And all communication can be done through both 4G and Wifi.

Only caveat is the other user must have whatsapp also.
Ag12thman
AG
Is there any app for Android that "communicates" with iMessage on iOS? My problem is I know too many iPhone-lovers who say they have problems getting message to and from me at times because, supposedly, almost everyone else they text is on iOS (and, in turn, iMessage).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.