Home Theater Surround Sound

3,544 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieKatie2
AggieKatie2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New house w/media room. Want to do a non-out of box surroud system.

Yamaha Aventege Reciever

Unsure of speaker setup. Is it worth worrying about Dolby Atmos? Don't plan on putting any speakers in walls. Any recommendations. Would like to keep the cost of speakers at 1k or less.
adamsbq06
AG
Klipsch has a decent 5.1 speaker set that might be close to your price range...
adamsbq06
AG
Or you can probably squeeze some low end Bowers and Wilkins or definitive audio
CBarrett12
AG
I went with Polk and an Onkyo setup. Speakers have been great, and the Onkyo is just now starting to act finicky sometimes after 5+years. I did upgrade to the Signature Series Polk center channel recently for a smaller slimline. If you want a Polk CS2 center channel I have one cheap! Good luck!
MW03
AG
I've got a denon avr-s720w that I absolutely love. I switched from being an Onkyo loyalist and I have zero regrets.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/denon-1155w-7-2-ch-4k-ultra-hd-and-3d-pass-through-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/
CBarrett12
AG
What do you like about the Denon over the Onkyo? I'm probably not too far away from needing a replacement/upgrade.
V8Aggie
AG
Polk w/ Denon.

agdoc2001
AG
Audyssey room correction makes denon/marantz the way to go
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agdoc2001
AG
AggieKatie2 said:

New house w/media room. Want to do a non-out of box surroud system.

Yamaha Aventege Reciever

Unsure of speaker setup. Is it worth worrying about Dolby Atmos? Don't plan on putting any speakers in walls. Any recommendations. Would like to keep the cost of speakers at 1k or less.

If you aren't putting speakers in the walls/ceilings, then you aren't probably going to go Atmos. Atmos requires 4 height speakers which are usually in ceiling.

Speaker recommendations require size of your room . Stay away from the crap sold at Best Buy or anything that comes in a box as a set. Great deals and sounds to be had from internet direct speaker companies.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieKatie2
AG
I'm a sucker for internet direct and I had never even considered ID for speakers. Will research.
MW03
AG
CBarrett12 said:

What do you like about the Denon over the Onkyo? I'm probably not too far away from needing a replacement/upgrade.

My Onkyo unit was older and had served me well. I'm sure all the bells and whistles with the new units are on par. Really, I was just blown away with what I got out of that Denon for the price (wifi, bluetooth, pandora/spotify optimization, multi-zone, 4k, and Atmos/DT:X ready). The Audessey setup was exceptional as well and once I got it tweaked out it really sounds fantastic. Plus it has 6 HDMI inputs and it syncs up with my smart TV. Pretty excellent little box.

Denon also has a really slick app you can use to control your sound system from your phone if you're on the same wifi. I don't do the Harmony hub bit, so this was a nice addition.
AggieKatie2
AG
Thinking the RSL CG3 5.1.2(or4) Atmos setup with the Denon or Yamaha Aventege receiver
aezmvp
AggieKatie2 said:

Thinking the RSL CG3 5.1.2(or4) Atmos setup with the Denon or Yamaha Aventege receiver

Here is the setup I'm looking at for a budget setup:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IK8I9K2/ref=twister_B00OU4KU02?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Andrew Jones tower 5.1 setup. Around $620.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-T22A-LR-Speaker-designed-Andrew/dp/B0148NPHO8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1492479937&sr=1-1&keywords=pioneer+atmos+speakers

Matching Atmos speakers. $200

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X1300W-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01EHWFE3O/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1492480003&sr=1-4&keywords=denon+receiver

Denon receiver. $400.

Total cost around 1300 with cables and banana clips. We're pretty plugged in with Amazon so I'll pair it with Fire tv box. And we're looking hard at some of the 70+ M Series Vizios with HDR, those come with a tablet I could put the Denon app on.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-70-class-69-5-diag--led-2160p-chromecast-built-in-4k-ultra-hd-home-theater-display-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4859500.p?skuId=4859500

So probably around $3000 for the total set up. I'm not a really deep audiophile so for a good set up I'm pretty happy with that.
MW03
AG
Holy smokes. I just checked and I ended up getting the X1200. I forgot and just assumed I had the 720 because it's one of the ones I was researching and my Google search autopopulated it. I ended up finding it at Best Buy in their magnolia store.

Anyway, still love it.
adamsbq06
AG
I think BB has the X-Series in Magnolia because it is considered High-end
V8Aggie
AG
Newegg runs really good deals on Polk speakers. If you're in Texas there's also no sales tax
Aggie_Eric98
AG
www.crutchfield.com
lurker76
Apperion Audio. I've recommended this internet-direct company before. You can spend as much or as little as you like.

I've had the speakers for years and no issues. The current set-up is 7.1, with hopes of getting into a place with a media room to add the in-ceilings for Atmos. Due to the current room set-up I had to go with in-ceiling for the surround and rear-surround speakers.
agdoc2001
AG
AggieKatie2 said:

I'm a sucker for internet direct and I had never even considered ID for speakers. Will research.
Many people have goood things to say about the RSL C34E in-ceiling for Atmos - I have not listened to them and cannot offer an opinion.

Good ID companies to check out:

1. Ascend Acoustics (this is where all of my HT speakers came from)
2. RBH (formerly Emptek)
3. Aperion
4. SVS (mostly known for subwoofers, but their prime speakers are a good value especially if you get a warehouse deal)
5. Axiom
6. Elac (Andrew Jones left Pioneer to make these)
7. Hsu (again, primarily a subwoofer company, but do make decent high output speakers)
8. KEF - not ID, but their concentric drivers are pretty great. I have a pair of LS50s I really like

I would recommend picking out a subwoofer first. It is the most impotant part and will make or break your system. You need to decide if you want sealed or ported and what size you'll need to pressurize your room.
aezmvp
Anyone use Butt Kickers?
agdoc2001
AG
aezmvp said:

Anyone use Butt Kickers?
If your subs are big enough - you don't need them!
AggieT
AG
lurker76 said:

Apperion Audio. I've recommended this internet-direct company before. You can spend as much or as little as you like.

I've had the speakers for years and no issues. The current set-up is 7.1, with hopes of getting into a place with a media room to add the in-ceilings for Atmos. Due to the current room set-up I had to go with in-ceiling for the surround and rear-surround speakers.

I've enjoyed my 5.1 setup from Apperion. Beautiful speakers that sound fantastic. Very well constructed.
TxAg82
AG
I bought the 70" Vizio M Series and ended up taking it back. All the reviews say it is a great TV but does not get very bright. They aren't kidding. Apparently I really like bright TV's. I never take things back, but I took that sucker off the wall and boxed it back up. The tablet is also very cheap feeling. Probably a better idea to simply use an existing tablet/phone for a remote. That feature is not something you should consider in making your tv choice.

I ended up with a 2016 Samsung 8 Series 65" on sale for cheaper than the Vizio.

For my tastes,the picture quality between the Samsung and Vizio is not even comparable. My wife agrees and knows nothing about tv technology or brand names. She said "this tv (the Samsung) is way better than that last one you brought home. We are keeping this one."
MW03
AG
I'm a Sony honk when it comes to TVs. I feel like it gets a much more true picture than the Samsungs, which always feel a little "Fox Newsy" to me when it comes to saturation
TxAg82
AG
I can see that. This Samsung can definitely pump out the brightness and saturation. But it can always be dialed back. Plus, mine is in a bright room.

I just felt like that Vizio did not have the ability to get bright enough to make the HDR content pop.

The Sony's I looked at all seemed solid as well.
AggieKatie2
AG
I really wanted to go OLED (65") but I still feel they are overpriced to the point of not being justifiable for my budget.

Torn between getting another 65" 4K led or maybe getting a 1080p projector on the cheap for now.
aezmvp
AggieKatie2 said:

I really wanted to go OLED (65") but I still feel they are overpriced to the point of not being justifiable for my budget.

Torn between getting another 65" 4K led or maybe getting a 1080p projector on the cheap for now.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MOYAMIU/ref=twister_B01J4IE0TA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

These are pretty cool for a projector. Neighbor had one and it's probably more flash than function, but had no idea they made curved projector screens.
TxAg82
AG
Read about the Samsung and Sony in the best mid-range category. Buy whichever one you can find at the best price. I have the Samsung 65" and am very happy with it. I checked out the Sony in store as well and it looked solid.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch
AggieKatie2
AG
I bought one of the new 65" Samsung SUHDs a few months ago, before we decided to build a house.

I'm a little disappointed with the blacks on it, coming from a Samsung plasma. One reason I want OLED.

I've always felt disappointed with Sonys picture in the real world when visiting friends that have one. May just be a source issue, but always seems like it handles motion poorly to me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.