Base model IMac worth it?

1,726 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agmrpink
Dstrip123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife needs something for her photography business and wants an iMac to replace her MacBook. I'm a PC guy but she doesn't want to go that route. The 1.6ghz processor and 5400rpm hard drive make me nervous when it's an 1,100 dollar computer. I could get a ROG for cheaper that has better specs. Does anyone have experience with this model?
boboguitar
AG
Dstrip123 said:

My wife needs something for her photography business and wants an iMac to replace her MacBook. I'm a PC guy but she doesn't want to go that route. The 1.6ghz processor and 5400rpm hard drive make me nervous when it's an 1,100 dollar computer. I could get a ROG for cheaper that has better specs. Does anyone have experience with this model?
Why does she want to replace the macbook?

Screen size? Buy her a monitor.
Dstrip123
boboguitar said:

Dstrip123 said:

She's tired of using external hard drives. Her MacBook has 250gb which isn't nearly enough.
boboguitar
AG
Dstrip123 said:

boboguitar said:

Dstrip123 said:

She's tired of using external hard drives. Her MacBook has 250gb which isn't nearly enough.
You can switch out her HD for an SSD for much cheaper than $1100 and the difference in speed will be night and day plus obviously you can upgrade the size of it.

If she wants an iMac because she want's something new I understand but nothing you've said makes me think she NEEDS a new computer.

Use this site to shop for SSD for her macbook. I just took a guess at what model it would be but you can search by model.

https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/macbook-13-inch-mid-2010-2.4-ghz/InternalDrives?filter.dimension_ssd_sshd_or_hdd_91=SSD&filter.dimension_drive_capacity_2=1%2E0TB

That's a 1TB SSD for <$400. If you don't want the speed boost that an SSD will give, you can easily go for a 1TB HDD for <$100.
Al Bula
AG
boboguitar said:

If she wants an iMac because she want's something new I understand but nothing you've said makes me think she NEEDS a new computer.
Dstrip123
Oh if I can just switch out the hard drive then that's great. I was under the impression that Macs weren't customizable like PCs. I'll just do that then.
boboguitar
AG
Dstrip123 said:

Oh if I can just switch out the hard drive then that's great. I was under the impression that Macs weren't customizable like PCs. I'll just do that then.

It's a bit harder to find compatible components for macs which is a PIA but that's why I linked that site specifically, they do all of that research for you.
Caesar4
AG
boboguitar said:

Dstrip123 said:

boboguitar said:

Dstrip123 said:

You can switch out her HD for an SSD for much cheaper than $1100 and the difference in speed will be night and day plus obviously you can upgrade the size of it.

Use this site to shop for SSD for her macbook. I just took a guess at what model it would be but you can search by model.

https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/macbook-13-inch-mid-2010-2.4-ghz/InternalDrives?filter.dimension_ssd_sshd_or_hdd_91=SSD&filter.dimension_drive_capacity_2=1%2E0TB

That's a 1TB SSD for <$400. If you don't want the speed boost that an SSD will give, you can easily go for a 1TB HDD for <$100.
Depends on the macbook model, right? I thought that components (memory, hdd) in the newer macbooks were no longer replaceable.
Dstrip123
She has an early 2014 model. 13"
boboguitar
AG
Actually ocw figured out to swap those parts out sometime last year for the newer models.
Caesar4
AG
boboguitar said:

Actually owc figured out to swap those parts out sometime last year for the newer models.
Cool. Good info.
PooDoo
AG
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Clone+an+Existing+Drive/16409
aggieforester05
AG
Dstrip123 said:

It's absolutely ridiculous that they'd put a 1.6Ghz processor and 5400rpm hard drive in an $1,100 computer. You could build a decent gaming rid for that price that would absolutely smoke the iMac.
GAP76
AG
You should buy here the 27inch IMac and upgrade her MacBook Pro with 1TB drive.
Desert Power
AG
I upgraded my 2012 non-retina MBP with an SSD and larger RAM and this thing is a beast. Best decision I ever made and only took me an afternoon to upgrade/replace. Can't recommend upgrading the SSD and RAM enough!
GAP76
AG
I upgraded MACBOOK MID 2009 with an SSD.... even a 2009 was like new, or better. nonetheless, I had already purchased the new 2016 macbook pro and IMAC.... all three are great
agmrpink
AG
1. Wife makes request that's seemingly impractical. 2. Husband conjures up a solution that gets the job done.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.