****** Official Samsung S8 Release Thread ******

6,739 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MW03
aezmvp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's get this party started early. Anything people are looking for?

I wouldn't mind if they had 6GB of RAM so I really could take advantage of the docking feature.
MW03
AG
I love my S7 edge. It'd take a lot to get me to upgrade early. I've also been looking at the Pixel, so I may wait and see what is coming down the pike from Google.

I really don't have any complaints about my phone, and nougat has been a fantastic upgrade. The only thing I really want out of one of these phones is for one of them to finally have an unbreakable screen. I hate using cases, but I hate replacing glass screens even more.
aezmvp
MW03 said:

I love my S7 edge. It'd take a lot to get me to upgrade early. I've also been looking at the Pixel, so I may wait and see what is coming down the pike from Google.

I really don't have any complaints about my phone, and nougat has been a fantastic upgrade. The only thing I really want out of one of these phones is for one of them to finally have an unbreakable screen. I hate using cases, but I hate replacing glass screens even more.
I love my S7 Edge too. I've had some random crashes ever since the latest update nothing big, just annoying. I'd suggest the tech 21 case. As close as I can get to not there.
aezmvp
https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s8-unpacked-watch-launch-live/

For those who care!
zurcaled11
AG
$750 for S8, $850 for S8+ via T-mobile.
zurcaled11
AG

[url=http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/29/galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge-vs-galaxy-s8-and-galaxy-s8-photos-comparisons-specs-and-more/][/url]
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/29/galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge-vs-galaxy-s8-and-galaxy-s8-photos-comparisons-specs-and-more/
agdoc2001
AG
Thinking of jumping from the Apple ship finally - S8 vs Pixel 2
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Brick Tamland
agdoc2001 said:

I consider it every year, then Apple releases their new phone the week of my upgrade and I fall in love all over again. The S8 looks incredible, though. The infinity screen is so much better than the edge, in my opinion
aezmvp
Brick Tamland said:

agdoc2001 said:

I consider it every year, then Apple releases their new phone the week of my upgrade and I fall in love all over again. The S8 looks incredible, though. The infinity screen is so much better than the edge, in my opinion
Would have enjoyed a 4k screen for the VR. But aside from that.
zurcaled11
AG
Brick Tamland said:

agdoc2001 said:

Are the edges any different from the edge screen? It just seems taller and curved in the corners rather than squared.

I have the s7edge and constantly touch the edges on accident. It is really annoying. And as far as I know they didn't announce any software to help ignore those touches.
Brick Tamland
Maybe they aren't, but I saw it as a tad bit more of a curve than the iPhone but less than the edge
tfunk02
AG
I have an S7 edge... it lags too much for me. Maybe I have a lemon? HBOgo takes a full minute to open, other apps are really slow too, and typing can be frustrating when it lags words behind (have updated and cleared cache trying to fix it). I'm considering an early update to the S8 Plus, but also want to know what Google does next. My favorite phone to this date is still my Nexus 5. I wish I'd gone with the 6P over the S7 Edge.
zurcaled11
AG
Anyone getting the s8?
jg07
AG
zurcaled11 said:

Anyone getting the s8?
I've preordered the S8 for my wife and S8+ for myself on Verizon. Trading in our S7 edges.
zurcaled11
AG
jg07 said:

zurcaled11 said:

Anyone getting the s8?
I've preordered the S8 for my wife and S8+ for myself on Verizon. Trading in our S7 edges.
I'm torn between the s8 and s8+. That s8+ looks gigantic compared to the s7edge.
AgMarauder04
AG
Gimme a Galaxy Book and I'll be happy
TMoney2007
AG
zurcaled11 said:

jg07 said:

zurcaled11 said:

Anyone getting the s8?
I'm torn between the s8 and s8+. That s8+ looks gigantic compared to the s7edge.
It is much taller than most phones out there but not much wider than my galaxy s5. It feels really comfortable in hand. I'm getting it for the bigger battery for the most part.
Cromagnum
AG
The front displays show very crisp numbers that count down. I'm not sure why they chose that form factor though.

zurcaled11
AG
TMoney2007 said:

zurcaled11 said:

jg07 said:

zurcaled11 said:

Anyone getting the s8?
It is much taller than most phones out there but not much wider than my galaxy s5. It feels really comfortable in hand. I'm getting it for the bigger battery for the most part.
Do you have an s8+ to compare it to?

I went with the normal s8. A little smaller footprint than my s7edge, and yeah I'm giving up battery which I might regret. I just have so many touches on the sides of my s7edge I only imagine more on the s8+. I have heard reviews that is seems less sharp and a bit thicker on the sides, so I'm hoping it fits in my hand just slightly differently.
Ganondorf
AG
jg07 said:

zurcaled11 said:

Anyone getting the s8?

Same for us but we have older S5 Actives. The people at best buy said 95% or more odd the preorders are for the S8+.
TMoney2007
AG
zurcaled11 said:

TMoney2007 said:

zurcaled11 said:

jg07 said:

zurcaled11 said:

Anyone getting the s8?
Do you have an s8+ to compare it to?

I went with the normal s8. A little smaller footprint than my s7edge, and yeah I'm giving up battery which I might regret. I just have so many touches on the sides of my s7edge I only imagine more on the s8+. I have heard reviews that is seems less sharp and a bit thicker on the sides, so I'm hoping it fits in my hand just slightly differently.
I've gone and handled the s8+ a couple times and I liked the size. It felt fine.

One thing to think about is that by default the resolution of the phone is 1080p, so close up that might look a little less sharp. If you really cared about it, you could bump the resolution to the full 1444p and it would look better. I'm sure the difference is hardly noticeable in practice.

I'd imagine it looks just fine, even in the larger size its still over 500ppi.
The Fife
agdoc2001 said:

Pixel hands down, unless you plan on rooting the S8 to get rid of the Samsung bloat.
matthopp
AG
I just pre-ordered the TMOBILE S8 to upgrade my 3+yr S5, hope I don't regret not getting the S8+ due to the bigger battery, but it just seemed like it would be huge compared to my S5.

My S5 is dying and barely connects to the charger at this point, when realistically will this be delivered? And did they change the charging port?
titanmaster_race
any news on when the pixel 2 will be released?
TMoney2007
AG
matthopp said:

I just pre-ordered the TMOBILE S8 to upgrade my 3+yr S5, hope I don't regret not getting the S8+ due to the bigger battery, but it just seemed like it would be huge compared to my S5.

My S5 is dying and barely connects to the charger at this point, when realistically will this be delivered? And did they change the charging port?
The s8+ isn't any wider than an s5, but its much taller, if that makes a difference.

Try replacing the usb cable that you use with your s5. I wear out lots of cables but the ports are actually fine. The have gone to a USB-C which should be better from a wear standpoint.

You'll probably receive it on the 20th, from my experience.
The Fife
titanmaster_race said:

any news on when the pixel 2 will be released?

October is normally when Nexus/Pixel releases are done.
BadMoonRisin
AG
My wife and I have two "paid off" S6s and are looking to get the S8. We are with T-Mobile right now, but is there any advantage to switching to AT&T or Verizon? Im guessing all carriers give you the phones and then have a total cost / 24 month fee until it's paid off...

I guess we can just cragislist/facebook our old S6's for $200 bucks or whatever. As far as service, I would say I like T-Mobile for Wifi calling, but in certain areas of where we live (Pflugerville), I do notice T-Mobile does drop service occasionally.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I have a pixel and I've loved it but my GPS no longer works....And nobody knows why....I've reset it 3 times now.
YouBet
AG
I'm torn. I have an S6 Edge+ and a pretty new Galaxy Tab S2. Batteries in both are just terrible and I've done everything online I could find to resolve.

My phone will last about 3-4 hours max while my while my wife's iPhone 6 lasts all day and then some. Usage is same.

So, I much prefer Android but not with their terrible batteries.
EMY92
AG
I was passing a Best Buy today, so I decided to stop in and look at the new S8 models.

I have never been of fan of the phablets, but I did like the S8+. I compared it to my S6edge - the S6 has a minimal case on it, the comparisons were with the case on.

The S8+ was slight more narrow than the S6 with case. It was about 1/4 to 1/3" longer than the S6 with case.

I think the size is compact enough for me to pick the S8+.

Now, I just need to drop AT&T and get a new carrier.
zurcaled11
AG
Has anyone who pre-ordered had the device ship yet? My label has been created, but no shipping info yet.
jg07
AG
zurcaled11 said:

Has anyone who pre-ordered had the device ship yet? My label has been created, but no shipping info yet.
I preordered with Verizon. I have a tracking # with Fedex, so far all it's done is bounced around Memphis. Verizon put a hold on the delivery until the 19th.
EMY92
AG
I went with T-Mobile and pre-ordered last Saturday.

It is scheduled to arrive today. I just checked the tracking info and it has reached town.
zurcaled11
AG
EMY92 said:

I went with T-Mobile and pre-ordered last Saturday.

It is scheduled to arrive today. I just checked the tracking info and it has reached town.

Same here. It is at DFW and should arrive by end of day today!
Average Joe
AG
I pre-ordered from Best Buy for the extra $100 off, so I have to wait until Friday. Upgrading from the S6, so I'm ready for the upgrade.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.