SIAP, internet providers for cord cutting?

1,246 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggie34
aggie34
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who does everyone use for your internet when using Roku/Sling/Playstation Vue? I have Uverse, right now, but just going to internet only seems like it will take away much of the savings.. Who do you use, and what are you paying, and how fast do you have? I live in Dallas so local answers would be helpful as well.
Forum Troll
AG
I had Comcast at 25 mbps and it seemed fine with either Sling or PS Vue. Now in my new house in Missouri City I have Entouch 1 gigabit with PS Vue and have been happy. No data cap.
BEaggie08
AG
I have "Uverse", which is now AT&T Gigapower or whatever. $75 a month for Gigabit down and pretty close to that up. I never have trouble with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, or Plex Cloud. Rarely do I get a slight buffer when using PS Vue. Everything except my desktop PC is on WiFi, so I'm taking full advantage of the available speed at this time.

edit: No data cap.
howdydamnit04
AG
The data cap is gonna kill me. I have Comcast and a 1tb cap, currently without cutting the dish I'm using 600gb per month so I don't think I can go streaming only without losing all my savings.
jay040
TWC/Spectrum, 100Mbps, no data cap. Currently $45 a month, I think it goes up to $55 or $60 when our promo is up.
Whitetail
AG
jay040 said:

TWC/Spectrum, 100Mbps, no data cap. Currently $45 a month, I think it goes up to $55 or $60 when our promo is up.
That's what I have. No data cap.
Candiru
AG
Do you the provided modem and router? I am thinking of making the change and Spectrum would likely get my business. They offer a 'free' modem with internet only. Wondering if the price could be lower without the free modem or if I'll be better off with my own high quality device.
Whitetail
AG
If you use theirs you pay per month. I bought a Netgear Nighthawk AC2350 and a new modem on prime day. Way overkill but I have devices all over my two story house that need good reception, works flawlessly and get right at the 100MB down.
Aero95
AG
I wonder how long the streaming-only party will last with the cable internet providers adding caps. Cox recently added it as well, and obviously they have every incentive to do so and steer you back to pay tv.

I wish Google and other non-tv providers would expand greatly with fiber service as it would likely help consumers.
Aero95
AG
Forgot to mention +1 on buying your own good router and modem. The AC spec Nighthawks are great. I like Motorola modems too.
rynning
AG
With the TWC 100mbps plan, I bought a Surfboard SBG6782-AC which works great. Just speedtest'd it at 117mbps connected and 60mbps on 802.11 AC with iPhone 6.
Fenrir
howdydamnit04 said:

The data cap is gonna kill me. I have Comcast and a 1tb cap, currently without cutting the dish I'm using 600gb per month so I don't think I can go streaming only without losing all my savings.
What are you using data on so much if not streaming?
Pman17
AG
AT&T Fiber 1000mbps Unlimited Data if you can get it.
$80/mo for 12 months then +$40/mo after.
Worth it for streaming though your wifi will only go as fast as it can which is about a tenth of the speed. My parents get 100+ up and 100+ down on Google Wifi with AT&T Fiber.

Comcast is a B**$&
jay040
I have my own modem/router - NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 that I got through the testing program on here and a NETGEAR CM600 that I bought. I have had poor experience with provided all-in-1's in the past.
aggie34
AG
Thanks for the info. If I read correctly, you have to use the AT&T modem for Uverse.. But it sounds like you don't for Spectrum/TWC...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.