Home Internet/Wifi Question

654 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by grizzo
grizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We currently have U-verse for television and data at our house. My question is what other options do we have for wireless internet outside of the big companies? Is there is anything that is simply better and most cost effective? TIA!
cr0wbar
AG
Better and cost effective? Short answer- most likely not.

You'll need to ask yourself a few questions:

-what am I doing with my internet? (Heavy- netflix, gaming, etc. or Light- email, web surfing)
-how many devices do you have connected?
-location (probably most important) if you're a light user, you could probably get away with satellite internet or even a local ISP that's not ATT, Xfinity.

Also- ask yourself how important your cable portion of ATT really is. Is your wife going to be able to survive without HGTV?

might be worth it to log into your account and see how much data you're going through in a billing cycle.
Pman17
AG
I think it's best to stick with the big guys and they're pretty much the only ISPs. It's not like cellphone companies and those small companies piggy back off of the big guys networks like Cricket, Metro PCS, Boost, etc. Like what Crow is staying, check to see what's available at your location. See how much you rely on internet too. All depends on the usage in the house.

I look over my parents bill every year to make adjustments. Last week we decided to upgrade the internet from Uverse 45 Mbps to Fiber 1000 Mbps because the 12 mo contract was cheaper. We also cut the cord with DirecTV and got DirecTV Now. DirecTV bill went from $190 a month w/ movie channels to $60/mo. Our phones were upped to unlimited and got a $25 discount on DirecTV Now.

I'd look into speeds and cutting the cord. You may be able to bring down that bill. It's like insurance, have to keep up with it because you may have something you've been paying for years and come to find they've been ripping you off and you could have a different plan that's better and cheaper.

Another thing, if you're using a U-Verse router for your Wifi, do a speed test with speedtest.net. See if you're getting the speeds your paying for. It's a good thing to check. I never use the ISP provided router. I buy my own router and disable the ISP router wifi because ISP routers sometimes handle wifi traffic poorly.
grizzo
AG
Those are good responses. I guess I didn't really do a great job of describing the necessity. Basically, I am good with the quality of data I am getting, and I am contemplating cutting the cord. Just curious what most people do in this situation, and I defer to this group because I really don't know what I'm talking about
AgDaddy08-11
S
grizzo,

Check out this thread, another poster recently had the same type of question. I'm sure there are others you could search for. Question comes up now and then.

Considering Cord Cutting
grizzo
AG
Thank you sir!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.