New iPhone 7 Plus - should I go caseless?

2 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 213 Grove
carano
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I finally upgraded my phone and went with the bigger iPhone plus. The matte black is beautiful and from what I thought I heard, the new 7's have some sort of version of gorilla glass. Haven't confirmed.

I bought a touch pelican case and the stupid case just bulks up the phone. Protected for sure, but ugly. I like the UAG cases for my work Samsung and I don't even use a glass protector for that one.

How tough is this iPhone? We have the stupid plan where you get to upgrade more often, but you are basically renting the phone. Will they let me trade in if scratched? I really want to carry it "naked". It's terrible how gorgeous they mke these things then make you cover them up.
AggieJason
AG
Do you want to break your phone? Because going caseless is how you break your phone.

The iPhone 7 is no more or less resilient than previous generations.
carano
AggieJason said:

Do you want to break your phone? Because going caseless is how you break your phone.

Actually, dropping your phone is what makes it break. Just not having a case on it doesn't make it spontaneously break.

I'd also argue that the back on these phones isn't made of glass like previous versions. There have been scratch/damage tests showing they are pretty resilient. The glass back, not so much.

In answer to your question, "Do you want to break your phone?" Personally, no. I can't think of a reason why I would want to do that. Are there people out there who feel differently? I'd be interested to talk to them.

I'm just interested to know how resilient the phones are without a case - I've never not had a case or screen protector. My dad has been carrying an iPhone 4s for years with nothing on it and the thing seems indestructible.
Premium
AG
I hate cases and in fact went caseless with my 5s. Broke the screen 2-3 times and just made to the 7 Plus (enduring a broken screen for a few months).

All of that said. I actually enjoy my current UAG case and wouldn't think about going caseless.

UAG iPhone 7 Plus [5.5-inch screen] Plasma Feather-Light Composite [ASH] Military Drop Tested iPhone Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IA8ZKW6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_LjGZybJTFHTKB
carano
Premium said:

I hate cases and in fact went caseless with my 5s. Broke the screen 2-3 times and just made to the 7 Plus (enduring a broken screen for a few months).

All of that said. I actually enjoy my current UAG case and wouldn't think about going caseless.

UAG iPhone 7 Plus [5.5-inch screen] Plasma Feather-Light Composite [ASH] Military Drop Tested iPhone Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IA8ZKW6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_LjGZybJTFHTKB
Awesome! I love UAG. Do you have a screen protector too?
tk for tu juan
I never use a case and have yet to break an iPhone. Owned a 3g, 4, 5, 6plus, and now 7plus. Probably average about two drops a year, and only once on concrete. Maybe some of y'all should work on being less clumsy.
Premium
AG
carano said:

Premium said:

Awesome! I love UAG. Do you have a screen protector too?

No screen protector. I've dropped it plenty and no issues.
chipotle
I just get the monoprice tpu cases for my iPhones. They're cheap, low profile and protect pretty good from occasional drops.
Al Bula
AG
Incipio NGP skin - I've had these going back to the 3GS

https://www.incipio.com/cases/iphone-cases/iphone-7-plus-cases/ngp-iphone-7-plus-case.html
Premium
AG
I don't have a screen protector, but if you're very particular about your screen you might want one.

I put my phone in my front pocket - sometimes with keys - and there are some very minor scratches.

I've had it since the launch.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I use the Magpul cases and have since I had a 3gs. They add a bit of size to the phone but they also have a grip that will most likely cause many fewer drops.
Pman17
AG
I use an Otterbox Commuter so it's as slim as I can get with adequate protection. Then a Zagg Glass screen protector with a lifetime warranty. No need for a Lifeproof anymore. Though I gotta warn y'all, getting your phone wet could allow moisture into the sapphire lens cover resulting fogged up camera. Combat that by leaving your phone in a cup full of rice overnight.

But it's best to have a case, if you wan't to sell your phone later.
carano
Great responses and suggestions, thanks.

I sent ahead and ordered a UAG case and one of the maxboost (2 pack) tempered glass protectors. We will see if I need it, but sounds like the user who also likes UAG doesn't have one. Thanks again!
Premium
AG
Oh, I forgot to say. When I first got it I was going to go caseless but I dropped it 2-3 days after getting it and it shattered the screen.

But again, dropped it tons since I got the case and nothing.
carano
Premium said:

Oh, I forgot to say. When I first got it I was going to go caseless but I dropped it 2-3 days after getting it and it shattered the screen.

But again, dropped it tons since I got the case and nothing.
Perfect - thanks
ViralAg
Yes, go caseless. Cases are a waste of money.
Wildmen03
AG
I got a 7 plus at launch and the screen is already in worse shape than my 6's screen was after 2 years. I'm sure part of it is the fact that I have a toddler in the house and the screen is bigger, meaning more chances to hit it.

That being said I had a phone case in hand before I received my 7 plus, and just recently went to a case with a screen protector because of the few nicks and scratches I've gotten so far.
Whitetail
AG
All iphones have gorilla glass. That's why they are resistant to scratching...now dropping is another matter.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
AggieJason said:

This. i'm already on my second iPhone 7 cause it dropped from waste high onto the concrete parking lot and shattered the screen. Luckily I had never cached in on my phone insurance and they gave me a complete replacement. After that I got a Defender case. Cause I'm not going through that again.
gibby03
AG
I can't second the ZAGG Screen Protector's enough. I currently have the ZAGG Invisibleshield and have had a form of it on the last three iPhone's I have had. Lifetime Warranty has allowed me to replace my protectors 3 or 4 times, just because I wanted to update the look because of some cracks in the shield. Never had an actual screen break since I started using these. Definitely recommended.
Brick Tamland
I try to use a case but I have been going caseless on the 7 plus for a week now. I had been using the silicone Apple case. If I do get another case it'll be the black or grey leather one from Apple
213 Grove
AG
I use a lifeproof. Slim case that's very sturdy. I drop my phone probably a few times a week and have yet to break one in a lifeproof.

Knocks on wood
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.