*****MLB The Show '17*****

3,582 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Icecream_Ag
agproducer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are about 10 days out from the game's release. Who is planning to get it?

I think the whole fantasy/card collecting game is intriguing. I like the similar feature on Madden and have never done it on the show. But, on Madden, there are so many different card sets, it's overly-complicated.

Anyway, if you are planning to get it, what edition? Is it worth the extra cash? I played some of The Show 15, but that was long after the game went offline.
Kampfers
AG
I've got the digital deluxe edition pre-ordered.

Why? Because I plan on playing a ton of diamond dynasty. I love DD. It's what other sports franchises should emulate. You're correct in that it is similar to the Ultimate Team forms in EA games. But the two most annoying aspects of those games - Chemistry and Contracts - aren't a part of the Show. No having to avoid certain players because they play in **** teams/leagues, or not being able to use certain combinations of players because they don't "fit" together (not sure how much of a pain this is in MUT, but I hated it in FUT). No contracts means that all the stubs you earn (which you get for all game modes, not just DD) go directly to upgrading your team/new players. You're not constantly having to waste credits just so you can use the same players you already bought.

I'm also looking forward to the changes made to RTTS with "pave your path". They say this is their "foundation" year so maybe I won't play it quite as much knowing the polish will arrive next year.

I don't anticipate playing a lot of franchise mode given that it has had virtually no changes. The only reason I'd see to play is if my friends and I finally start the online franchise we've been discussing.

What I'm most exited about is the new hitting physics. That and the catch+throw animations. Those look to be some very serious QoL improvements that will dramatically improve the actual gameplay. Could give or take the catcher throwing meter.
MW03
AG
I loved this game, but last time I bought it, it was impossible to get your RTTS player to work on all his stats. Super frustrating. Are the newer versions any better?
Kampfers
AG
MW03 said:

I loved this game, but last time I bought it, it was impossible to get your RTTS player to work on all his stats. Super frustrating. Are the newer versions any better?
In '16, you earn xp that can be put into whatever stats you want. By the time my pro was 26, I had pretty much maxed all of his relevant categories.

I imagine that aspect of RTTS will be pretty much the same in 17. But the "pave your path" stuff looks to be a big improvement over 16 in terms of giving you a "story".

If you haven't seen it:
Post removed:
by user
Gil Renard
AG
Can't wait. Love the Ken Griffey throwback 1994 game play mode. Road to the Show is still greatness
k20dub
AG
Wish they came out with this for Xbox.
Mr.KyleReed
AG
I will be getting this, but I will be just getting the regular edition one. I don't do slot if DD I'm mainly a RTTS and Franchise (rip) player.

Interested in how RTTS plays out this year. I usually have 2 RTTS players, a SP and a fielder of some kind. It's cool that I can make them two completely different personalities and get two different experiences. That will be nice.

PSN: Urmomsmuffintop
option short side
AG
What button configurations do y'all use for hitting and throwing? I've been stuck on pure analog mode for both but after watching that trailer it seems like throwing and fielding are a lot more complex then what I've been doing.
Kampfers
AG
Hitting: Zone
Pitching: Analog
Fielding: Button Accuracy

Those give you the most control over the outcome, in my opinion.

In the video above, they also show the "showtime" fielding, which is the default setting for RTTS gameplay, but can't be used online.
Gil Renard
AG
Picked mine up today
Mr.KyleReed
AG
Mine downloaded last night, cant wait to get home to play some RTTS.
I Like Mike
AG
Mine just shipped from Amazon.
agproducer
AG
I just picked mine up. I grabbed the mid-tier, MVP Edition. The packaging is pretty sweet with the steel case and clear cover jacket. I really just wanted the gold card pack and stubs. Anyway, I'm ready to play this. It's going to be tough to wait for tonight.
MW03
AG
I haven't played the game sine 2012 on PS3. Has enough changed about the RTTS since that iteration to jump back in?

Edit: Realizing I already asked this question. I think I'm trying to talk myself out of it, but I loved the game play of 2012, and seeing it on the PS4 has me kind of stoked...
agproducer
AG
MW03 said:

I haven't played the game sine 2012 on PS3. Has enough changed about the RTTS since that iteration to jump back in?

Edit: Realizing I already asked this question. I think I'm trying to talk myself out of it, but I loved the game play of 2012, and seeing it on the PS4 has me kind of stoked...
I'd say if you haven't had the game in five years and you are a baseball fan, you need to get it. I didn't get to play last night. I just touched it for 5 minutes this morning, and the improvements I've seen so far are amazing.
Gil Renard
AG
Love the new features on road to the show. I do wish you could play a season on Ken Griffey retro edition instead of just an exhibition
OldArmy07
AG
I haven't played since the '13 edition. The biggest improvement I noticed in the '17 version is that you can play an entire series in RTTS without having to go back to the menu. 3 games as a SS took me 10 minutes vs. 10 minutes/game with load times in the earlier versions.

Much faster progression during the rough parts while your player can't hit for ****
MW03
AG
FINE. I ordered it.
Gil Renard
AG
OldArmy07 said:

I haven't played since the '13 edition. The biggest improvement I noticed in the '17 version is that you can play an entire series in RTTS without having to go back to the menu. 3 games as a SS took me 10 minutes vs. 10 minutes/game with load times in the earlier versions.

Much faster progression during the rough parts while your player can't hit for ****

What type of hitting option do you use?
Mr.KyleReed
AG
I use zone, and yes I love that feature in RTTS where after the game you can play the next one. Even a mini menu to allocate skill points earned. I haven'tdone that much in this year's game yet but last year the only time you had to go back to the main RTTS menu was after a series, or if you have training between that current time and the next game.
Gil Renard
AG
A bad batch of game discs were returned in Boerne where my nephews are. Wouldn't load completely have y'all heard of anything like this? Evidently a bunch have been returned
agproducer
AG
I finally played for about two hours last night. I love the ease of RTTS now. I'm not sure I like the "perks" option. I think it cheapens the experience a bit and gives you a quick fix if you are struggling.

I love the clubhouse interactions and the ones with your adviser. I chose to go through the training, rejected offers of the first two drafts and went to school instead of going pro. It didn't help my draft stock too much. My player went in the 3rd round each time.

I started messing with the cards in franchise and diamond dynasty. It looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. There just seems like there is so much to do in this game.

The retro mode is cool and interesting to play -- but it's gimmicky, and we all know that.
Gil Renard
AG
agproducer said:

I finally played for about two hours last night. I love the ease of RTTS now. I'm not sure I like the "perks" option. I think it cheapens the experience a bit and gives you a quick fix if you are struggling.

I love the clubhouse interactions and the ones with your adviser. I chose to go through the training, rejected offers of the first two drafts and went to school instead of going pro. It didn't help my draft stock too much. My player went in the 3rd round each time.

I started messing with the cards in franchise and diamond dynasty. It looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. There just seems like there is so much to do in this game.

The retro mode is cool and interesting to play -- but it's gimmicky, and we all know that.

Is that the stubs thing they want you to buy?
OldArmy07
AG
Zone for me as well. Dynamic difficulty level. It seems to be keeping pace with me pretty well. When my timing is off it makes it easier.
Mr.KyleReed
AG
Stubs you can purchase and buy packs with it. Can get players/equipment/sponsorships. You can also earn Stubs just from playing the game if I remember correctly.

I usually buy about 5,000 stubs ($5) just to try to get the equipment that I want for my RTTS player. (usually a sleeve, sunglasses, or cleats)
agproducer
AG
I don't think I'll buy extra stubs. I bought the mid-tier game with 5,000 redeemable ones and extra equipment. I was curious how it worked because I really got into Ultimate Team on Madden. Right now, the team I have is mediocre. I did get a Paul Goldschmidt diamond card in my gold card pack that came with the game. I'm interested to see how it goes.
Kampfers
AG
agproducer said:

I don't think I'll buy extra stubs. I bought the mid-tier game with 5,000 redeemable ones and extra equipment. I was curious how it worked because I really got into Ultimate Team on Madden. Right now, the team I have is mediocre. I did get a Paul Goldschmidt diamond card in my gold card pack that came with the game. I'm interested to see how it goes.
Damn, jealous. I got Kinsler as my loyalty card, then got Carrasco and Quintana from my preorder packs. Bichette/Holt were my gold/diamond mission starters, but it will take me a bit to accumulate the hits I need for them.

I would have personally flipped Goldy on the first day when prices were sky high - wait for the market to stabilize then repurchase or just use the stubs on whoever you want.
Gil Renard
AG
I love the old school season mode. 82 games, quick counts, quick presentation which is around 35-40 min per game is as much I can get in. I'm an old position player and was not a kicker so I wish I could just hit and simulate pitching, is there a way to do this?
MW03
AG
OldArmy07 said:

Fired it up. Planned to spend about 20 mins getting it installed and updated for this weekend. Ended up losing about 3 hours without realizing it. The new RTTS speed of play/lack of loading times is awesome.
agproducer
AG
Kampfers said:

agproducer said:

Damn, jealous. I got Kinsler as my loyalty card, then got Carrasco and Quintana from my preorder packs. Bichette/Holt were my gold/diamond mission starters, but it will take me a bit to accumulate the hits I need for them.

I would have personally flipped Goldy on the first day when prices were sky high - wait for the market to stabilize then repurchase or just use the stubs on whoever you want.
I'm trying to flip Goldy, thanks to your advice. I picked up a Bagwell rookie card for cheap. Jim Palmer is my mission card. I need SP help. I'm thinking when I sell Goldy I'll be able to upgrade over Ervin Santana as my #1.

I don't know What I like more, RTTS or Diamond Dynasty.
carano
Any of you playing the 2017 RTTS? Is there no way to get yourself traded? I started AA, skipped AAA and got called up to the Mariners. My agent only appeared at the end of my first MLB season saying "not much I can do, I know you aren't happy here." Am I stuck with the Mariners for six seasons until free agency?
Agmaniacmike12
Best Buy has this for $19.99 ($15.99 with Gamers Club Unlocked) as part of their Cyber Monday in July sale. I don't think I've ever seen The Show this cheap in July.
Icecream_Ag
S
carano said:

Any of you playing the 2017 RTTS? Is there no way to get yourself traded? I started AA, skipped AAA and got called up to the Mariners. My agent only appeared at the end of my first MLB season saying "not much I can do, I know you aren't happy here." Am I stuck with the Mariners for six seasons until free agency?
I've been traded when I didn't ask for it, been benched when I did ask for it. Not sure how it works.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.