TickBox TV and other streaming devices like it?

33,253 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by annuchaurasia1992
rynning
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My father-in-law is fairly old and not very tech savvy. He discontinued DirecTV because he didn't think it was worth the money and is now interested in alternatives. Unfortunately, he lives out in the country and has expensive Wildblue Internet (not sure how fast).

He asked me about https://www.tickboxtv.com since he read that it will provide "all the channels I want for free."
  • Does anyone here have experience with this or other devices like it?
  • Do they work as advertised?
  • Are they easy to use?
  • What Internet speed is considered "acceptable"?
  • Is this even possible with Wildblue?
  • How much data is used per hour of, say, ESPN content?
  • Are there better alternatives?

Thanks!
tamusc
AG
It looks like it's basically a dumbed box for watching pirated streams, hence the tick in the name of the device. While the device itself isn't necessarily illegal (though it's definitely on the border considering some of the claims they make on their website), it's built to watch illegal streams.

I'd look into the cap and speed on his internet access before using something like this.
aggieforester05
AG
Satellite internet like Wild blue typically have the lowest data limits on the market. It would be useless for streaming more than a couple of hours of video a month. Try to find out if there is any rural Wi-Fi towers popping up. They'll be faster, with much more data. Then get him a fire tv, hd antenna, an Amazon prime membership and a subscription to ps vue or sling tv. He'll come out cheaper per month, with better programming. If he can't get better internet though, then he's going to have to stick with direct tv, dish, or cable.
permabull
AG
rynning
AG
Thanks all. Great info. Talked him out of it.
jpgold
hypeiv said:

I won't sugar-coat it... it won't work, or if it does it will only work for a short time.

These tv boxes are $40 android boxes loaded with kodi and an app that links to pirate streams. The streams eventually get shut down and the app has to be update to load new streams. Without knowing what app is being used you have no idea if they just stop updating it one day. So more than likely someone tech savvy will have to update the box. If you don't mind pirating, you are better off buying the box yourself and installing the app rather than paying an inflated price for someone else to install it for you.

The second problem is bandwidth. HD video will need at a minimum 2megabit a second sustained and probably at least 4-8megmit for a stead stream. At 1.5megabit a second (which is a conservative guess depending on the codec being use) you will be using ~11.25 megabytes a minute or 0.675GB an hour. Looking at wildblues webpage they say 30GB of "priority data" for their most expensive plan, and I am guessing it will slow down after that. at 1.5 megabits a second he will hit his 30gig "priority data" after 45 hours or 90 minutes of TV a day. If the streams he connects to are higher bit rate he will burn through that data much faster.
Hello, I work with Tickbox Tv and am very interested in your reply about. It seems that you know a lot about the Android boxes. I would love to email with you to see what type of updates we can do to the box to make it work a little better. We really do not get many complaints about the device except there are some buffering issues. I would love to get you opinion on some things.

Thanks, Jeff
aggieforester05
AG
Page Juan?
nai06
AG
jpgold said:

hypeiv said:

I won't sugar-coat it... it won't work, or if it does it will only work for a short time.

These tv boxes are $40 android boxes loaded with kodi and an app that links to pirate streams. The streams eventually get shut down and the app has to be update to load new streams. Without knowing what app is being used you have no idea if they just stop updating it one day. So more than likely someone tech savvy will have to update the box. If you don't mind pirating, you are better off buying the box yourself and installing the app rather than paying an inflated price for someone else to install it for you.

The second problem is bandwidth. HD video will need at a minimum 2megabit a second sustained and probably at least 4-8megmit for a stead stream. At 1.5megabit a second (which is a conservative guess depending on the codec being use) you will be using ~11.25 megabytes a minute or 0.675GB an hour. Looking at wildblues webpage they say 30GB of "priority data" for their most expensive plan, and I am guessing it will slow down after that. at 1.5 megabits a second he will hit his 30gig "priority data" after 45 hours or 90 minutes of TV a day. If the streams he connects to are higher bit rate he will burn through that data much faster.
Hello, I work with Tickbox Tv and am very interested in your reply about. It seems that you know a lot about the Android boxes. I would love to email with you to see what type of updates we can do to the box to make it work a little better. We really do not get many complaints about the device except there are some buffering issues. I would love to get you opinion on some things.

Thanks, Jeff
Thanks for the post Jeff.

Can you talk about the illegality of your product or the streams it accesses?
annuchaurasia1992
rynning said:

My father-in-law is fairly old and not very tech savvy. He discontinued DirecTV because he didn't think it was worth the money and is now interested in alternatives. Unfortunately, he lives out in the country and has expensive Wildblue Internet (not sure how fast).

He asked me about https://www.tickboxtv.com since he read that it will provide "all the channels I want for free."
  • Does anyone here have experience with this or other devices like it?
  • Do they work as advertised?
  • Are they easy to use?
  • What Internet speed is considered "acceptable"?
  • Is this even possible with Wildblue?
  • How much data is used per hour of, say, ESPN content?
  • Are there better alternatives?

Thanks!

thetickboxtvreview.com
annuchaurasia1992
thetickboxtvreview.com

Please find the link mentioned above to learn more about this TickBox TV Reviews
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.