Open world video games

4,078 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OldArmy1606
bearamedic99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any else bored or overwhelmed by the open world games? It felt like too much grind after a while with Destiny, then DA- Inquisition, the Witcher 3, The Division, and so on.

I enjoy the ability of BF to just drop in and play on a smaller map. Am I alone in this?
FriendlyAg
You are not alone. I like the idea of Destiny, but I just stopped playing because everything that seemed like was fun in the game required you to play with a team that you weren't paired with online, which is a deal killer for me.

I don't want to have to coordinate with friends or people on TA in order to play the game. I want to be able to match make and play now with whoever.
hph6203
AG
Narrative based action games are pretty much all I will play as far as AAA games go If I do play a more open world game like GTA, Assassins Creed or the like, I'll mainline to primary story and ignore the side quest BS. A game isn't going to keep my attention for 50+ hours unless there isn't a true main storyline (WoW, Stardew Valley).
AgMarauder04
AG
I really like them, tbh. It's just fun to play them without being restricted to a linear storyline.

That being said, there is a limit. A game doesn't need to keep getting bigger.
agproducer
AG
I agree. They get boring, yet overwhelming after awhile. I like playing games with a direct and linear story. I don't mind straying off of it a bit. A few good examples of what I'm taking about are Uncharted 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Rise has side quests and tombs for you to explore -- but you aren't bogged down by the sheer size of the open world like with GTA 5. I have limited time to game, so I don't want to waste it on b.s. missions.
spieg12
AG
FriendlyAg said:

You are not alone. I like the idea of Destiny, but I just stopped playing because everything that seemed like was fun in the game required you to play with a team that you weren't paired with online, which is a deal killer for me.

I don't want to have to coordinate with friends or people on TA in order to play the game. I want to be able to match make and play now with whoever.

The problem with that in Destiny and the reason why raids don't have matchmaking is communication. You can't just walk in with 5 other randoms and no mics and expect to beat the raid. They require teamwork. The whole Kings Fall raid and the Atheon encounter in Vault of Glass are prime examples.

Everything else in the game has matchmaking and doesn't require any communication.
jeffk
AG
I really wanted to like Destiny and The Division, but I've figured out that I just don't like games that require any sort of grind to get the best gear/loot. For some reason I just can't get into that aspect of a lot of open world games. I need some sort of central plot element and new experiences and neither of those really provided that past the initial play-through for me. I do LOVE games like Assassin's Creed for the completionist aspect they offer for me. I can do side quests for DAYS.
Icecream_Ag
S
been playing neverwinter for a few months because I tend to enjoy simple open world games, but holy hell its a grind to do anything if you arent a pure dps character.

Now I do my guild daily runs and call it a day because it takes 20-30 minutes to finish each quest and one of the runs is doing 4 quests.

I'm tempted to start a new character, but then I'd just be grinding twice
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Never really got into them, but I'll report back after Breath of the Wild.
Marsh
AG
Definitely know the feeling. Ever since joining the real world, I haven't been able to get back into these games. The witcher 3 was probably the best example of this in that I got a few hours into it and gave up.

First, the ridiculous size of the game and how much there is to do simply stresses me out. If a game is stressing me out, I'm doing something wrong.

Second, knowing I only have an hour or two a day makes it so hard to feel interested in the game and become invested. Playing an hour or two here or there, quitting, then coming back a couple days later makes it really hard to remember what has happened in the story and what I'm supposed to be doing. By the time I remember what I did last, reacquaint myself with where I am and then reread the quest I need to be doing, I've wasted 30 minutes of my time.

Finally, there is so much you can do but also so much that you can miss. Knowing I'm going to play through the game one time, Im extremely anal and feel like I need to do every little side quest and mission before moving on. Really becomes a drag.
zip04
AG
This is my concern with Horizon: Zero Dawn.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Those games are amazing but require so much time that if you work a lot, spend time with your family, have other hobbies, etc you'll take forever finishing them. I downloaded Witcher III last year and got a couple of hours into it before I realized I'd have to settle for being a ****ty Dad, husband, and teacher for a few weeks at least to come anywhere close to beating it.

I'm sticking to games I can enjoy playing for small amounts of time without feeling like it's not worth it unless I have 100+ hours to pour into it.

I'm actually glad I was at A&M just a year or two before the explosion in big immersive open world games or I might have flunked my classes and probably not met the girl who would became Mrs. Teacher_Ag.
Guitarsoup
AG
tk for tu juan
Red Dead Redemption was the right amount of open world for me. Pick a flower, ride your horse to the top of the mountain, and watch the sunset. Proceed to be killed by a mountain lion moving at light speed.
Buck O Five
AG
Open world creates a burden where if you explore or side quest too little or too much, you are the wrong level for the main story line. I prefer a good main plot line with a lot of end game content after you have mastered your skill set.
AGinHI
AG
Open world games

Garrelli 5000
AG
I flat don't have time to play long games anymore. Back in the day when GTA was all the rage, I hit the wall with San Andreas. At some point I realized I'd been playing for hours on some pointless mission and was out in the middle of nowhere, had no idea what the hell I was supposed to be doing, and knew it would take forever just to get back onto the main story line, which I couldn't even remember WHAT was the main story line so I could go back and continue.
YouBet
AG
I've been slogging through Fallout 4 for weeks (months?) now and am nearing the end. About to take out the BoS on the Prywden. It definitely becomes overwhelming especially in a game like that that is almost too open world. I just want to be done at this point. It's also annoying to have almost unending side quests of the same thing.

I have Witcher 3 in the wings which I played the opening tutorial just to get the hang of it and it looks awesome. Much more story driven so I'm sure I will like that much more.

I agree with others that I think the sweet spot is Assassin's Creed 2 & 4 and Red Dead Redemption. Loved all of those games.
jeffk
AG
I loved Fallout 3 and its predecessors, but the introduction of building/crafting in 4 pretty much ruined the experience for me. It just added another time-suck to an already super-lengthy game.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm hoping the new Ghost Recon won't be such a grind

Chipotlemonger
AG
Where does Fable fall on the spectrum for all of y'all?
YouBet
AG
I played about 30 minutes into Fable and absolutely hated the mechanics of it.
zip04
AG
Download the open beta this weekend. It's a fun game. Definitely a lot you can do, but seems like you can go through the main story pretty quickly if you really want.
AliasMan02
AG
Finished Fallout 4 yesterday after months of playing. Probably 200 hours. It was fun and I really enjoyed it but looking back, way too much was maintenance or busywork. The town building and management was fun for a while but it felt kinda tacked on/separate and there were waaaaaaay too many. By halfway through the story I felt burdened by it and by the end there was no payout or anything.

It's sorta like various linked fetch quests. I don't mind those. They're designed to get you to various parts of the map and expose you to things. But to complete a portion of the story, 11 times of back and forth is too much, just like 20-something settlements totaling hundreds of residents to individually manage is too much.

I love the open world games, and Fallout 4 is a good example of that style. Around every corner is a carefully crafted, tiny detail. I love it when I stumble across some cave wherein hides some unmarked quest item that tells a little history of the world that maybe 10 percent of players will find. That's real craftsmanship. I just want developers to free players up to soak in the world and all its nuance by streamlining some of the busywork.
maverick2076
Chipotlemonger said:

Fable 2 was one of my all time favorite games. Fable 3 was a steaming pile of **** that I turned off after 20 minutes and never touched again.
maverick2076
Lol. "Near the end."
YouBet
AG
maverick2076 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Fable 2 was one of my all time favorite games. Fable 3 was a steaming pile of **** that I turned off after 20 minutes and never touched again.

Yes, I meant Fable 3 as well. I never played the other two.
YouBet
AG
maverick2076 said:

Lol. "Near the end."

Ha. I did end up "finishing" yesterday after destroying BoS and the Institute and then Desdemona tells me.... hey, we aren't done.

Well, I am! I went back to Sanctuary and started launching Fat Man's at all the settlers. Killed as many as I could and then turned off the game. Moving on!
chjoak
AG
Really enjoy open world. Actually like the side missions as long as the add to the story line. The games that really bug me though are the those that a) have far too many side missions b) the side missions add nothing to the game (just busy work/tasks) or c) are generic and constantly regenerating.
KidDoc
AG
Witcher 3 is probably the only open world game I really liked. I think that is because it doesn't really have grind work. Even the seemingly minor quests can be very interesting.

I found fallout 4 too repetitive and tedious with the inventory management.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CoolaidWade
AG
Last November I tore my pectorial muscle completly off the bone and after surgery was sidelined for six months. I couldn't lift a coffee cup the first two months.

Anyway I don't know how I would have made it without playing Fallout 4. For months I played every day and was just mesmerized by the game. I loved the whole thing. Honestly it was the first game I've played in about 8-10 years. My wife bought me my xbox one because I was so bored and had no purpose.

But now I'm completely recovered and back outside and on my bike and I can't get back into it. I haven't played the expansion and bought Witcher 3 to try and recreate the magic but quit in two days.

My gaming days may be over until maybe fallout 5 where I may tear a rotator cuff or something so I can play it.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How did that happen?!
CoolaidWade
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

How did that happen?!
When it completly tore I fell on a mountain bike. While falling I tried to recover and ended up chicken winging my arms over the bar and it tore. Probably the most painful thing ever but I'm pretty sure I actually started to tear it about two weeks prior while working out. I felt like I tweaked something and stopped. It was one of those things you didn't know how serious it was. I thought I just tweaked my muscles and needed a few days off. I was doing muscle ups.

BTW if anyone needs a good shoulder surgeon seek out Dr. Ralph Curtis from San Antonio. He nailed it. I'm good as new.....
maverick2076
Go back and play Fallout 3. Amazing game.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Copying this over from the BotW thread. This gets me so hyped for this game.

Quote:

"A lot of open world games feel checklisty. This is a big Ubisoft problem, but it also came up again for Horizon Zero Dawn, and was one of my biggest criticisms for that game.

But with Breath of the Wild, it doesn't feel like going through the motions. You can make your own stories by raiding a Bokoblin camp, finding out a new cooking recipe on your own, chopping down some trees, or meet some wacky Nintendo character while you're traveling from point A to point B. The map isn't loaded down with billions of icons to fetch, just the active quest you've chosen at the time.

Take radio towers. Breath of the Wild has them. But they aren't too numerous, and most of them have their own little mini-puzzles to solve, as well as an interesting character to meet at the top that has a unique sidequest. Looking over the massive spires into the open world is actually fun, and you can use a telescope (with its own icon/stamp creator) to scout out new locations. They went above and beyond the typical open world blueprint."
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.