Creating a guest wifi

713 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by WieleAG05
jetescamilla
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

We recently completed the construction of our house which has an accessory unit that we plan on renting out as a VRBO. I'd like to use our house wifi to give guests internet access but I'd like to have a separate wifi name / password for them. I'd also like to restrict the bandwidth they can take and have some sort of protection from visiting malicious sites while on my wifi. I'm sure this is pretty straightforward but computer networking is not my strong suit.

I have DSL service through Alaska Communications (ACS). The modem they provided does not offer a guest mode. I assume I'd have to purchase another modem to serve as an access point or bridge? Am I correct? I appreciate the help.

FatZilla
AG
Log into your router (Might need to purchase one) admin panel and enable a guest wifi network. Set up the guest network with its own SSID and password. You can also use the bandwidth limitations that most routers have as well to limit them. As for the sites, I dont have any experience with that.
Flashdiaz
AG
FatZilla said:

Log into your router (Might need to purchase one) admin panel and enable a guest wifi network. Set up the guest network with its own SSID and password. You can also use the bandwidth limitations that most routers have as well to limit them. As for the sites, I dont have any experience with that.
I just got a nighthawk router and it was easy to setup a guest wifi. Since you're renting it out, maybe you can justify a new router as a business expense
will25u
I had an old wireless G router that I purposed as a guest AP. This serves 2 purposes, keeps wireless G off my N router, and allows more control over what a guest can and can't do. I haven't done anything to block or restrict from the guest router, but I suppose I could. Good luck with whatever you end up doing!
WieleAG05
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.