WiFi Extender

708 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MW03
Dread Pirate Roberts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do WiFi extenders work as advertised? I had a Best Buy employee tell me its not worth it passing up an automatic sale. I don't normally assume they know what they're talking about, but its rare that one says to not buy a product, so that made me more curious about the effectiveness.
FatZilla
AG
All depends on the product design, its quality, and its use/location.

Trying to extend your wifi through 4 brick walls/floors, its gonna suck no matter how much your try. Drop a wire or use powerline kits plus an AP in the location you want.

Trying to extend it for example 50' down an hallway? They will work great.
thaed137
AG
I bought a pair off Amazon that use the electrical wiring of your house to send the internet from outlet to outlet. It has worked really well and allows me a hard wire connect or wifi in any room of the house I want.
FatZilla
AG
thaed137 said:

I bought a pair off Amazon that use the electrical wiring of your house to send the internet from outlet to outlet. It has worked really well and allows me a hard wire connect or wifi in any room of the house I want.
Yep, those are Powerline ethernet kits. Work really well if your house isn't subdivided by separate circuit boxes.
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thanks for the help. I'm looking at the Powerline Adapters online now.
MW03
AG
I was getting sick of our wifi signal and the terrible GUI from AT&T when I had to go in and monkey with the signal settings. Ended up splurging on the Google Wifi mesh kit and have been really pleased with the results.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.