War Thunder

855 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AcctAg11
CrottyKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have any of you played this game? I downloaded it after seeing a Facebook ad. It is pretty fun to fly around a WW2 era plane, but it is really hard not to get shot down. You earn points for surviving longer, and you can use those points to research new planes or upgrade your existing plane. You can also do this same stuff with tanks. I just like airplanes better. Anyway, pretty fun for free.
AcctAg11
AG
Yep, been playing it for a few years, on and off. I like the game a lot more than some others I have tried (e.g. world of warplanes/tanks) for a few reasons.

It's very friendly to the casual player, because a single mistake doesn't mean you are out of the match. If you get shot down/blown up, you can just choose another one of your planes/tanks to bring into the match (for Arcade mode).

I like that it doesn't feel like a grind to get to the stage where you can play competitively. The different events the game has uses almost the entire range of aircraft in the game. I can have fun playing my early WW2 aircraft against others and still feel like I'm on an even level.

The game also has a high skill ceiling. Being in a worse aircraft isn't a huge disadvantage. Player skill will still allow you to beat almost anyone you come across, regardless of which vehicle you use.

Overall fun game. I haven't even reached the Jets yet, but that hasn't bothered me because each tier of aircraft are fun to play.
CrottyKid
AG
Do you use a mouse and keyboard? That's what I'm using now, but I bet I would be a lot better with a controller. I am just now trying this game, and I like it. I like the idea of researching modifications kind of like Rise of Nations or even Clash of Clans. I don't like that someone could drop a hundred bucks on the game and blow past everyone, but I get that that's how they make money. I suppose most games are like that these days.
AcctAg11
AG
CrottyKid said:

Do you use a mouse and keyboard? That's what I'm using now, but I bet I would be a lot better with a controller. I am just now trying this game, and I like it. I like the idea of researching modifications kind of like Rise of Nations or even Clash of Clans. I don't like that someone could drop a hundred bucks on the game and blow past everyone, but I get that that's how they make money. I suppose most games are like that these days.

I tried joystick, but it was surprisingly harder to use. For Arcade and Realistic modes, I use mouse and keyboard. For simulator mode, you might be required to use a joystick, but I haven't even tried that. I play 99% of my games in Arcade mode.

As far as research goes, getting new planes doesn't really make you any better off (or any worse). It simply just adjusts which vehicles you are playing against in-game.

You will see that each vehicle has a battle rating, like "2.3" or "3.7". Your highest battle rating plane/tank that you bring into battle determines the battle ratings of the vehicles you will be facing. I would try to keep all the vehicles you bring in to battle to be very close in battle rating. Ie. About a 1.0-1.3 range difference between smallest and highest. This will help keep all your planes competitive in any given battle.
CrottyKid
AG
Thanks!
JJxvi
AG
I find it fun every now and then.

I miss Fighter Ace
I Like Mike
AG
Its fixing to get ships. Gonna be fun to roll with cruisers and battleships. Hope they can rival WoWs when its all said and done.
CrottyKid
AG
That would be pretty cool.
Right now, I'm trying to figure out how the opponents in an aerial arcade battle seem to destroy my plane with one hit yet they take multiple hits from me and operate as normal.
AcctAg11
AG
CrottyKid said:

That would be pretty cool.
Right now, I'm trying to figure out how the opponents in an aerial arcade battle seem to destroy my plane with one hit yet they take multiple hits from me and operate as normal.

Upgrade your pilot vitality. Also go for upgraded ammunition. The stock ammunition is terrible. Bigger guns also kill things faster. Learn which planes (early on) have 20mm cannons or even 37mm cannons.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.