Verizon Unlimited data is back!

17,269 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PooDoo
wee_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
  • $80 for unlimited data, talk and text on your smartphone with paper-free billing and AutoPay.
  • $45 per line for four lines with unlimited data, talk and text on your smartphones and tablets with paper-free billing and AutoPay.

http://www.verizon.com/about/news/get-unlimited-data-network-you-deserve-verizon
Quote:

Unlimited data on the Verizon network has arrived. Beginning Monday, Verizon is offering an introductory plan that gives you unlimited data on your smartphone and tablet on the best 4G LTE network in the country. With Verizon Unlimited, you also get HD video streaming, Mobile Hotspot, calling and texting to Mexico and Canada and up to 500 MB/day of 4G LTE roaming in Mexico and Canada - included.

And FYI, no one cares if your carrier already offers it. Some of us only can only get Verizon where we live.
AgMarauder04
AG
It's really funny watching the entire cell phone business network reacting to lil ol' T-Mobile.
A is A
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

It's awesome watching the entire cell phone business network reacting to lil ol' T-Mobile.
fify.

competition is good.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
According to the fine print (fine-ish print to be accurate) it appears that you get throttled after 22GB of usage. The plan also calls the price an "introductory rate" which might mean that after 2 months, prices return to $TEXAS.
Robk
Unfortunately no employee discount either. Currently pay 170 for 5 phones and 22gb worth of data. So not sure if it is worth it. Still like the competition.
ntxVol
blindey said:

According to the fine print (fine-ish print to be accurate) it appears that you get throttled after 22GB of usage. The plan also calls the price an "introductory rate" which might mean that after 2 months, prices return to $TEXAS.
Haha, the devil is always in the details. If they are going to throttle you then it's not really unlimited.
AtlAg05
AG
That's what AT&Ts policy is currently for those of us grandfathered into unlimited data, 22GB and you may be throttled during high volume times.

I actually looked recently to get off unlimited to try to save some money and the difference was about $10 a month to stay on unlimited rather than the 8 or 10 gb shared plan.
Gig-Em2003
AG
At first glance it appears it's going to be quite a bit more expensive than the 16 GB plan with rollover data that I'm currently on now.
BEaggie08
AG
They keep playing with the damn Line Access Fees. These need to go away and be built into the plan cost. With the change to the line access fee and the loss of the employer discount, this is a no go for me.
Aggielandma12
AG
I called At&T today and got $5 bucks a month off my current plan, plus another 5 gigs of data.
aggieforester05
AG
So on the family plans is that 22 GB total before they throttle or 22 GB per line? If it's the former then we'd only have usable speeds for half of the month.
So with all the current Unlimited plans, there is a threshold for unlimited data. If a subscriber is passed this fixed limit, the speeds are subject to prioritization. This doesn't necessarily mean "throttled." If you exceed this number and you are connected to a congested tower, your speeds will slow down. If the tower is NOT congested, you'll good to go. As if right now, Verizon and Sprint have there number at 22 GBs while T-Mobile has it at 28 GB.

It's funny how T-Mobile has disrupted this industry. Just weeks ago, Verizon was telling consumers that people don't need unlimited data. Now they're reaching for anything just to save their subscribers. I can only imagine the price wars that will follow. Consumers will reap the benefits. Just an hour ago, T-Mobile CEO John Legere announced on Twitter as a response to Verizon Unlimited data plan, that all T-Mobile customers who have the T-Mobile One Unlimited rate plan will now include full 1080p HD video streaming and 10 GBs of 4GLTE mobile hotspot. Before today, this was an additional $15 per line if you wanted to get this. Really looking forward the whats to come between these two carriers.
FatZilla
AG
#1 said:

So with all the current Unlimited plans, there is a threshold for unlimited data. If a subscriber is passed this fixed limit, the speeds are subject to prioritization. This doesn't necessarily mean "throttled." If you exceed this number and you are connected to a congested tower, your speeds will slow down. If the tower is NOT congested, you'll good to go. As if right now, Verizon and Sprint have there number at 22 GBs while T-Mobile has it at 28 GB.

It's funny how T-Mobile has disrupted this industry. Just weeks ago, Verizon was telling consumers that people don't need unlimited data. Now they're reaching for anything just to save their subscribers. I can only imagine the price wars that will follow. Consumers will reap the benefits. Just an hour ago, T-Mobile CEO John Legere announced on Twitter as a response to Verizon Unlimited data plan, that all T-Mobile customers who have the T-Mobile One Unlimited rate plan will now include full 1080p HD video streaming and 10 GBs of 4GLTE mobile hotspot. Before today, this was an additional $15 per line if you wanted to get this. Really looking forward the whats to come between these two carriers.
Changing my plan on Friday to the new $100 plan. Should save me $40 ish total each month.

This new plan is a promotion is what lots are saying (Someone got twittered by a tmobile rep), so sign up for it asap if you want the savings.
Justin2010
AG
T-Mobile one ups:

10Gb hotspot
HD video streaming
Taxes and fees included
Guitarsoup
AG
bjh19
AG
Any word on if att is going to allow the mobile hotspot if you have the unlimited data plan? Wish they offered this. With the throttling at 22gb why should they care if you use the data on your phone or hotspot?
lockett93
AG
Verizon allows 10GB hotspot and as stated above only throttles of over 22gb AND on crowded tower.

Cost is 80 for 1
140 for 2
$20 each additional up to $300 for 10 lines which all get 22GB and each gets 10GB hotspot from what I read.
aezmvp
We've had AT&T forever on their unlimited plan. The rib and I signed up with iPhones the last day they offered it as wedding presents.

All this is REALLY making me want to switch. Especially with the hot spot. Kids + no hot spot... rather annoying.
Guitarsoup
AG
lockett93 said:

Verizon allows 10GB hotspot and as stated above only throttles of over 22gb AND on crowded tower.

Cost is 80 for 1
140 for 2
$20 each additional up to $300 for 10 lines which all get 22GB and each gets 10GB hotspot from what I read.

So if I joined, my wife and I would both get 22GB before throttle or do we share the 22GB before throttle?
lockett93
AG
Each person gets 22gb before possible throttle.
FatZilla
AG
Guitarsoup said:

lockett93 said:

Cost is 80 for 1
140 for 2

So if I joined, my wife and I would both get 22GB before throttle or do we share the 22GB before throttle?
Thats just the fees for the plan I think. Be sure to check the final numbers. Verizon loves to add "Line Access" fees and other **** and then all the regulatory fees they are allowed to charge are also tacked onto the end. My plan for grandfathered unlimited + 1 2GB line with shared 700 mins was costing me 190ish after all said an done each month after fees. Verizon loves to bend you over and go in with sand lube anytime they can. hence why I switched to T-Mobile now.

T-Mobile has all these fees already in that price you see. If it says $100 for 2 lines, thats what you pay out the door, nothing more. Theres is also 28GB before throttle + 10GB Hotspot plus Free calling to/from Canada/Mexico and free testing/data in most international countries included (Calls usually around 20c/min but you can use VOIP app or google number and hangouts app to get around this). Binge on is included in your phone and hotspot, so your favorite things like netflix, dish network app, HBO Go etc. (Check tmob site for list of these) type apps dont use data (Was told this by a rep in store tonight)
Guitarsoup
AG
My wife and I are still with Sprint on old grandfathered, unthrottled, unlimited everything plans. Each plan is about $90/mo including all taxes and fees and hasn't changed in years.
bjh19
AG
Do you know if the new verizon plan will allow tethering to their unlimited plan? Maybe this is what someone said but just wanted to confirm. We have the ATT unlimited grandfathered plan and as I mentioned before, that is the one thing I wish I had
hph6203
AG
Throttles to 3G speeds at 10 GB.
BEaggie08
AG
bjh19 said:

Do you know if the new verizon plan will allow tethering to their unlimited plan? Maybe this is what someone said but just wanted to confirm. We have the ATT unlimited grandfathered plan and as I mentioned before, that is the one thing I wish I had
AT&T is the only carrier that doesn't allow tethering on their unlimited plan. So, to answer your question, yes...and what hph said.
howdydamnit04
AG
Some other BS associated with the unlimited plan... to get the $80 you have to sign up for autobill pay with a bank account or debit card. You cannot use a credit card. Thats the last thing I want to be giving out online.
txyaloo
AG
I'm still under contract on an old Verizon grandfathered unlimited plan. I've used 200GB+ multiple months in a row. The new plan would be cheaper, but I can't see giving up the grandfathered plan until my contract is up in 2 years
ATL Aggie
AG
Starting tomorrow you will be able to get 2 unlimited lines on t mobile for $100. I am not a heavy data user but I think I will jump on that deal.
Guitarsoup
AG
ATL Aggie said:

Starting tomorrow you will be able to get 2 unlimited lines on t mobile for $100. I am not a heavy data user but I think I will jump on that deal.

I might jump on that, too
BEaggie08
AG
ATL Aggie said:

I am a heavy data user. I think I may too. Is T Mobile still offering up to $650 per line to buy you out of your existing contract/device payments. That would be great. I could pay off the iPhones I have with Verizon and port them over to TMobile, free and clear. If I can do all that, I'm making the move.

Currently, with device payments of ~$65 month, I'm paying Verizon $197 a month for 10GB + 10GB of "bonus data" that expires in 2 months. I go over at least once a quarter for an additional $15 per GB. It will be nice to have unlimited for ~$30 a month less. Verizon's service has been the best I've ever had, but I'll take a chance on T Mobile again for the savings.
FatZilla
AG
BEaggie08 said:

ATL Aggie said:

I am a heavy data user. I think I may too. Is T Mobile still offering up to $650 per line to buy you out of your existing contract/device payments. That would be great. I could pay off the iPhones I have with Verizon and port them over to TMobile, free and clear. If I can do all that, I'm making the move.

Currently, with device payments of ~$65 month, I'm paying Verizon $197 a month for 10GB + 10GB of "bonus data" that expires in 2 months. I go over at least once a quarter for an additional $15 per GB. It will be nice to have unlimited for ~$30 a month less. Verizon's service has been the best I've ever had, but I'll take a chance on T Mobile again for the savings.
Be careful on this assumption. CDMA handsets will not work on the GSM carrier in general. It might require a new phone. Some articles say it will and some say it wont. Also, what your looking for is the Un-Carrier Promotion. I am pretty sure they still have it running.
BEaggie08
AG
I have already looked into it. From my understanding I'm basically going LTE to LTE. Even if not, Verizon's version of the iPhone 7 includes GSM radios as well. CDMA is all but dead now.
AggieMavsfan
AG
So are none of these plans viable for shedding your home cable/uverse internet and just using your mobile data for everything? I don't know how much data I use on my home uverse connection, but I imagine its a lot more than 22GB.
Guitarsoup
AG
AggieMavsfan said:

So are none of these plans viable for shedding your home cable/uverse internet and just using your mobile data for everything? I don't know how much data I use on my home uverse connection, but I imagine its a lot more than 22GB.
Doubtful unless you never stream video.

For Grandma that only looks at pics on Facebook, maybe.
k20dub
AG

Source

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.