Help me pick a TV!

3,558 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Jack Thauer
TecRecAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Putting one in the game room this weekend and I'm torn. 70" flat or 65" curved. Would like to stay under $2k. I can read online reviews all day, but I always like to see if any TexAgs folks have good advice.
hph6203
AG
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-65-class-64-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-silver/5065600.p?skuId=5065600

Or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-70-class-69-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-home-theater-display-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4859500.p?skuId=4859500

Better vs Bigger
Pman17
AG
HDR should be more of a priority than curved. I've got the Vizio 4K HDR P-Series 55". Nice TV, though you'll need to do some calibrating out of the box. I've got my Xbox One S working with the HDR, very nice though I tried Xbox One's calibration screens and didn't produce the results I wanted so I found a good HDR video and fine tuned the screen with what I felt comfortable with. Menus on the Xbox sometimes looks funky in color like the blues are washed out and greens but when watching a movie, it looks fine. Varies I guess. The tablet remote helps a lot with adjusting settings. Easier to touch the settings than flipping through them with a remote.

Also safe to get a Vizio now as they are in a lawsuit for spying on what people watch and selling that data to advertisers without them knowing. They've been spying on what I watch, I don't give a crap about it.
Matsui
AG
To piggy back I want a less than $1000 price point and prefer 60". Would consider 55". Any suggestions other than the Vizio m series?
The Fife
I wouldn't bother with curved. Really enjoying the Samsung 8000 series we bought a couple of weeks ago and once you start watching in HDR it's hard to go back, my only regret is that it isn't 10-15 inches larger but that's still a lot more than I'd like to spend.
jay040
I feel like curved tv's are the new 3D tv's - just a fad, but I have no documentation to support that.
tfunk02
AG
http://www.rtings.com/

http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/tvs/

These are my two favorite resources. I had both the Vizio P1 and the Samsung KS8000 in my living room. They were very similar in quality from what my eyes could tell. The biggest difference to me was the blacks. The Vizio has local dimming instead of being edge lit giving it much deeper blacks. For that reason, I chose the Vizio for myself. I care most about movies in a light controlled room.

Aggielandma12
AG
SO HDR is the way to go? I will also be in the market for a new TV soon. Will be used to watch sports and movies.
IslandAg76
AG
I bought this one a few weeks ago. Amazed every time I turn it on. I think the stuff on the TV looks better than I see it in real life. It's about tie to get it calibrated, that might tone it down slightly...very happy with it.

http://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-suhd-tvs/65-class-ks8000-8-series-4k-suhd-tv-2016-model-un65ks8000fxza/
Absolute
AG
We got the 65 Samsung ks8000 at Christmas. Very happy with it. Only problem I have had is the Amazon app occasionally gets very l****. Considered the p series vizio, but got a better price on the Samsung with the sales at the time. Think it was around 1400 on sale.

Did not consider the curved ones, they look weird to me.
IslandAg76
AG
I sometimes have the sound muted (not by me) on the Amazon app--some low music is heard but no voices..I have to back it up to a point where it starts the voices again...This is the only problem I've had.
The Fife
Aggielandma12 said:

SO HDR is the way to go? I will also be in the market for a new TV soon. Will be used to watch sports and movies.

HDR 10, yeah.

I haven't had any problems with the Amazon app. What nearly was an issue is that Monoprice premium certified HDMI cables top out at 20'. The Samsung One Connect box gave me the extra few inches I needed. It's a lot easier to plug stuff into that than fumbling around behind the tv.

The only wire runs between it and the media closet are COAX, one HDMI, and a LAN cable.
adamsbq06
AG
I'd wait a few more weeks... the 2017s should be hitting the retail market and the 2016s will go on sale
CrottyKid
AG
Samsung 65"
Aggielandma12
AG
What's everyone's thoughts on this TV? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-65-class-64-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/5400401.p?skuId=5400401

Currently $879 bucks

or would I be happier with this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-65-class-64-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-silver/5065600.p?skuId=5065600
tamusc
AG
The KS8000 is currently one of the best TVs on the market right now along with the Vizio P-series, especially when cost is considered. Both are still behind the LG OLEDs, but are also half the price of the OLEDs.
Aggielandma12
AG
just got the 65" KS8000 for $1400 after I uses my $200 best buy gift card.
AMF 2 AMC
AG
Another 65" ks8000 buyer here. Great set.

Really wanted a 70" set, but the value just wasn't there. Price went up and picture quality went down. No regrets.
Gary79Ag
AG
The Curved TV Gimmick Might Finally Be Dead
aggietoolman
AG
Been looking at getting a 65" tv for some time. I really want to get the KS8000 but I've seen way to many references to the backs of the TV separating from the panel. Samsung used cheap double sided tape and the heat is causing the adhesive to wear out. There are several references to this problem.

Then there is past a past experience with a previous Samsung TV which at that time convinced me to never deal with them again. The two together makes it so I can't get that TV.

Likely going with the Vizio P65.
buffalo chip
S
aggietoolman said:

nm
tfunk02
AG
aggietoolman said:

Been looking at getting a 65" tv for some time. I really want to get the KS8000 but I've seen way to many references to the backs of the TV separating from the panel. Samsung used cheap double sided tape and the heat is causing the adhesive to wear out. There are several references to this problem.

Then there is past a past experience with a previous Samsung TV which at that time convinced me to never deal with them again. The two together makes it so I can't get that TV.

Likely going with the Vizio P65.

My friend bought a 65KS8000 from Samsung Direct. First one showed up with a cracked screen. 2 months later (and 100's of calls) the second one ended up with the panel issue. They were able to fix that in a week, but still... Makes me happy to have the Vizio P series. I think I will be avoiding Samsung unless I hear they fix a lot of their issues.

The blacks on the Vizio were much better too. Quantom dots with side lighting can't beat local dimming when it comes to blacks... yet.
adamsbq06
AG
I've literally had zero issue with Samsung. Over the past few years I have owned several Sammys. And i have actually had maintenance performed by Samsung on occasion. On one occasion they replaced my TV with a better one because my model was no longer carried. They even repaired a TV out of warranty that i received second hand.

That being said i have grown really fond of my FILs XBRs. Once i finally decide to get a 4K TV I'll probably look closely at Sony. If i were to buy today it would likely be another Samsung. Hopefully i can get another year or two out of my current sets.

Not really in a rush to buy a 4K set just yet because of the new Xfinity Data caps id be paying about $200/mo for internet
BEaggie08
AG
AdamsBQ06 said:

I've literally had zero issue with Samsung. Over the past few years I have owned several Sammys. And i have actually had maintenance performed by Samsung on occasion. On one occasion they replaced my TV with a better one because my model was no longer carried. They even repaired a TV out of warranty that i received second hand.

Uh...
tfunk02
AG
BEaggie08 said:

AdamsBQ06 said:

Uh...
Getting his CRT guns aligned, duh!
Absolute
AG
I started having some wireless connection issues and have had an ongoing issue with the Amazon app. Google suggests both are ongoing known samsung issues.

Like the TV, but starting to wish I had chosen the vizio p series
adamsbq06
AG
tfunk02 said:

BEaggie08 said:

AdamsBQ06 said:

Uh...
Getting his CRT guns aligned, duh!
Actually my first Sammy was a "Slim Fit" HD CRT ~27". I think there was an issue with the magnets in it it was purple on the corners from day one. Samsung replaced it with a 42" DLP, after about 4 years of use the chip was bad and there ended up being a recall.. they replaced it with a 50" DLP because they didnt have the parts to fix the other one... total out of pocket expense $0....

Second TV serviced was a plasma my inlaws gave me... it had a single pixel line in the center of it that was not working... samsung replaced it within days and i was upgraded to their top of the line plasma... which is actually still working strong and has a better picture than my other tvs.

It really comes down to getting on the phone and requesting to speak to someone in executive customer relations... be polite explain the issue and they will take care of you quickly... the standard call center will just walk you through a script ECR can get your issue resolved quickly with no issues...

tfunk02
AG
My beef is more with who Samsung allows to run their web store. They have a company called Digital River running it, and they are well known to be horrible. The actual warranty work took less than a week for my friend, but the 1st broken TV took WAY too long to return and refund. I'm not on to go off of one person's experience. The problems people have with them is all over the internet.
fig96
AG
I'm in the early stages of looking as well, have a 50" Panasonic plasma that will soon make its way to the new game room. Did pick up a little 32" Samsung 1080p LED that's looking great so far.

Anyone have experience with the Sony 4k's? Reading good reviews on them, prob looking at a 55 or 65".
adamsbq06
AG
My FIL has two. I am now partial to them.. An XBR70X850D and an XBR60X850D. they are beautiful sets. I was even able to send power command to them through wifi so I was able to eliminate a couple IR Flashers.

I designed their house and their remote system. Everything is in a Server Rack in a closet. The only thing at the TV is a HDMI Cat 6 receiver.

I programed the universal remotes to use the Sony's Netflix for 4K content and In the Great Room I pushed the audio back to the AVR over a spare COAX for surround sound audio.

These sets do a great job of upscaling. I will probably replace the HDMI matrix soon since when we purchased it originally there was very little 4K content and we couldn't justify the price. Now, Id get a PS4 Pro or and XBOne S so that I could take advantage of the 4K Blu-Rays
fig96
AG
Great info, appreciate it. There's at least some 4K content now and my wife is on board so I don't mind spending a bit more for a fairly future proof set.
adamsbq06
AG
Make sure if you are looking to spend money to get HDR and 240 Motion Rate (120hz).

Also be sure to use monster cables or you aren't getting try 4K
fig96
AG
Thanks, I've done my fair share of tv shopping before so the Monster Cables are for sure top of the list
Jack Thauer
AG
Looking for a 49" ks8000 (only size that will fit the space). Should have grabbed one on black Friday or in jan. Instead of 900 they are now 1100 and in limited supply (no longer listed on BB website).

not sure I want to spend 1100 on a year old set
fig96
AG
Honestly won't matter that much. TV technology isn't like smartphones, year to year updates are pretty minor.

I'd have no problem with a slightly cheaper year old set.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.