HDTV Antennas

1,791 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agproducer
agproducer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm getting rid of satellite TV and I was hoping for a little help when it comes to HDTV antennas. I'm in NW Houston, and I'm trying to determine what kind of antenna to get. I have a DirecTV mount outside where I could put an antenna and wire it through the house with a splitter. Any ones you'd recommend? I tried an indoor antenna a few years ago and it didn't pick up anything. Of course, I didn't mount it.

Any help is appreciated.
spieg12
AG
It doesn't have to be anything new and fancy. My parents house is halfway between Austin and Waco and all they have is an old antenna up on a pole. It's about 15 feet tall and was put up in the 70's. They get all Austin, Temple, and Waco stations.
The Fife
Came here to say the same thing. Ours is some huge, old TV antenna from the '70s mounted high in the rafters in the garage. We pull signal from Charleston, Columbia and Myrtle Beach.
pnut02
AG
http://www.tvfool.com/ and https://www.antennaweb.org/ can give you an idea of what works best.
Capitol Audio Video
I have used this in the Houston area and it works great for my customers. Also, this works wonders on indoor and outdoor antenna setups. Combine both of those with a Tivo Romio OTA and you have a very slick setup.If you need help with the install give our office a call at 713-385-6503 and I can get you an estimate.
LGAggie
AG
Check out the Mohu brand. I think the longer range model is called sky 60. We are on a but if a rise, but I just mounted the thing to our chimney. We get the Waco stations here in CS. The draw for me was that it's tiny compared to most outdoor antennas. Just a little bigger than a shoe box lid.
boy09
AG
I know antennas aren't super expensive or anything, but I've had really good luck building some DIY antennas for next to nothing. I currently have a bow tie antenna in my attic. I just added an amplifier today and I'm picking up a couple of channels from San Antonio, 90 miles away.

I've also built a Gray-Hoverman antenna. It was an easier build than the bow tie antenna, and it seemed to perform better, but I gave that one to a friend.
Ark03
AG
boy09 said:

I know antennas aren't super expensive or anything, but I've had really good luck building some DIY antennas for next to nothing. I currently have a bow tie antenna in my attic. I just added an amplifier today and I'm picking up a couple of channels from San Antonio, 90 miles away.

I've also built a Gray-Hoverman antenna. It was an easier build than the bow tie antenna, and it seemed to perform better, but I gave that one to a friend.
I built that Gray-Hoverman antenna on the link above. With a reflector, I'm getting stations from 35-40 miles away just perfectly.
Matsui
AG
I have the leaf antenna. Works great
SlobberKnock
AG
Just bought one of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C1YL16Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Supposedly up to 80 miles range. I am up in DFW and pointing it south to broadcast towers about 30 miles away. It worked out of the box with me just holding it my hand in my lower level. I threw it up in the attic and it picks up all the locals plus other channels. One thing I was unsure of was if it would work with my attic as I have radiant barrier. The barrier I have was the fabric kind you staple in....there was an opening with room in my rafters to put it above the radiant barrier fabric which worked fine (for those that have that to deal with) In your case if you can climb to where your dish is you can probably just hook right on it and plug in to coax and done.
edwardsk2003
AG
Thanks for the info on this thread.... just bought the ChannelMaster lLTE filter and a the OTA antenna mentioned above (had a lightening deal on amazon).
Ark03
AG
edwardsk2003 said:

Thanks for the info on this thread.... just pought the channelmaster lte filter and an ota antenna mentioned above (had a lightening deal on amazon).

Love the channelmaster.
agproducer
AG
I'm back and forth between Channel Master and Mohu. I like the look of the Mohu Sky, but I don't need all that power. I'm only in the H-town suburbs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.