NERDS! Recommend a HDD plz

856 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by flakrat
DCJAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's been over three years since I built my desktop, and I want to add a 1 TB HDD since I am running out of storage space. I haven't been keeping up with all the best HDD brands.

What's a good 1 TB HDD for storage these days? I'm not looking for a SSD.
javajaws
AG
The vanilla answer would be a Western Digital 7200 rpm for $50 or so.

Why not a SSD? Cost?
DCJAG
javajaws said:

Why not a SSD? Cost?

Cost and I already have a SSD for the operating system. I heard SSD's are not as reliable for storage..
boboguitar
AG
DCJAG said:

javajaws said:

Why not a SSD? Cost?

Cost and I already have a SSD for the operating system. I heard SSD's are not as reliable for storage..

I don't know where you heard that but that's wrong.

However, it depends on what you want to store and the speed you want it back. If you're just storing photos, videos, text, static things, then HDD is probably fine and costs less too. If you want to put programs on it, I'd go SSD.
DCJAG
boboguitar said:

DCJAG said:

javajaws said:

Why not a SSD? Cost?

However, it depends on what you want to store and the speed you want it back. If you're just storing photos, videos, text, static things, then HDD is probably fine and costs less too. If you want to put programs on it, I'd go SSD.

I mean I heard that they don't last as long when used soley for storage because they have a limited number of writes before they fail. That's why you aren't supposed to defrag a SSD
chigger
AG
Regular hard drives have a limit too.

But yeah. Western Digital Black.
DCJAG
chigger said:

What about WD Blue?
tamusc
AG
DCJAG said:

chigger said:

What about WD Blue?
They're fine, just slower by a decent amount compared to the Black series. If it's just a storage drive, the Blue should work.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
DCJAG said:

boboguitar said:

DCJAG said:

javajaws said:

Why not a SSD? Cost?

I mean I heard that they don't last as long when used soley for storage because they have a limited number of writes before they fail. That's why you aren't supposed to defrag a SSD

It used to be true, not so much anymore:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/google-ssd-study/
http://0b4af6cdc2f0c5998459-c0245c5c937c5dedcca3f1764ecc9b2f.r43.cf2.rackcdn.com/23105-fast16-papers-schroeder.pdf
kb2001
AG
DCJAG said:

boboguitar said:

DCJAG said:

javajaws said:

Why not a SSD? Cost?

This was true with the first few generations of SSDs, not so much anymore. They will wear out, just as HDDs will, but the difference isn't nearly as drastic as it used to be

Cost will differ significantly, and since that is a factor you'll be fine with a 7200 rpm HDD. Don't get the slower 5400, the difference is noticeable.

Stick with Seagate or Western Digital, both proven brands for consumer HDDs
flakrat
AG
Make sure you have an open SATA port and an extra SATA cable. Also ensure you have an available power connector for the drive.

I know that sounds obvious, but I've run into this a time or two, usually because I forget how many physical drives I have in the chassis :-)

If not, make sure to order a SATA cable and/or a SATA power Y adapter.

If it's really an issue, double check that you have an available 3.5" drive slot open along with the mounting screws. If not you may need to get a 5 1/4" to 3.5" rail kit (I think the dimensions are right) to mount it where you'd normally mount a DVD drive.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.