Nintendo Switch - Buying or not?

47,439 Views | 471 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pman17
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Honestly, Nintendo let me down with the Wii U and I was pretty solidy in the "no buy" camp. Massive Zelda fan, and I pretty much got the Wii U solely for BoTW. I wasn't about to drop another $300 for another console just for Zelda.

But then they announced Super Mario Odyssey. That put me a bit more on the fence. And now a few days later, I'm leaning towards buying.

I figure it's inevitable that I buy it at some point, since I don't think I can pass up SM Odyssey. So I figure, why not just get it on launch and go ahead and get the best version of BoTW I can. (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe would be a solid purchase as well, since I don't have MK8.)

Am I a huge sucker?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I will mention the one thing that really excites me though - the idea of playing BoTW on the train. It's a 90 minute trip for me any time I want to visit the city. But being able to play a console Zelda game on the go sounds so damn awesome.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I've thought about it, but I'll probably wait until they release a MarioKart game for it before I actually do get it.
rbcs_2
AG
Aren't we are all suckers for Nintendo?
A is A
AG
Will be buying it for BoTW. However, I am interested in Super Mario Odyssy
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, you'll only have to wait until April.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Awesome! I had looked at a list of games that were coming out for it and didn't see MK. I must have just been looking at games that would be out within a week or two of release.
WGann3
AG
I'm not much of a console gamer and haven't owned a Nintendo console since the original Wii, but man, Super Mario Odyssey alone has me tempted to pick up a Switch.
agdoc2001
AG
I'm ok with a $300 Mario and Zelda box, so yes.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agracer
AG
Dear Nintendo, what to make $100M in a single day? Release Wind Walker on iOS/Andriod.

Signed: Nerds Everywhere
powerbelly
AG
agdoc2001 said:

THis.
TXAG 05
AG
I doubt I get it at launch but will most likely get one. The new Mariongame looks awesome.
tamusc
AG
I'll probably pick it up a few months later when the initial madness dies down and a few other games like Mario Kart are released. Totally buying it for Zelda more than anything else though.
chipotle
Not getting on day one otherwise I would have pre ordered but probably will after a few months after the waters have been tested.
caleblyn
I just bought an xb1s in lieu of the switch. WHy? Because my 9 year old is big into sports games. I am not yet sold that 3rd party will support it, especially the sports games.
agfan2013
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Unfortunately for Nintendo, there aren't a whole lot of you and the number of people that they still get to buy because of nostalgia is getting smaller. A couple of third party devs have already said they probably won't develop for it like the people who are working on overwatch 3.

Nintendo has a ton of good franchises but I just don't think it's enough to carry the console without major third party support. They need to crank out a 3D Mario game every 2-3 years, not once per console and same goes for their other big titles like smash brothers and Mario kart.

I'm certainly not getting release day. If I can get a good deal on one, I might do it down the road but the first year's lineup looks weak. Outside of Zelda and Mario odyssey, it's just remakes/enhanced wiiu games like Mario kart 8 and splatoon 2.

Edit to add: my initial guess is this won't sell very well again. It probably won't be a wiiu level of fail but it won't be a huge success either.
chipotle

Quote:

Unfortunately for Nintendo, there aren't a whole lot of you and the number of people that they still get to buy because of nostalgia is getting smaller.

Outside of Zelda and Mario odyssey, it's just remakes/enhanced wiiu games like Mario kart 8 and splatoon 2.

I am Fedwick
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
powerbelly51 said:

agdoc2001 said:

THis.
Yup, same. Get a new Metroid Prime on there and I'm a happy camper.
tamusc
AG
Interesting take and can't say I really disagree.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/nintendo-switchs-identity-crisis-could-echo-microsofts-kinect-disaster/

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh, and I've been waiting for a fully 3D, sandbox style Donkey Kong game since DK 64. I know they lost Rare, but get someone to make this, please!
hph6203
AG
tamusc said:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/nintendo-switchs-identity-crisis-could-echo-microsofts-kinect-disaster/

The crux of his argument is that HD ports of old console games will push sales of this device, which is simply wrong. When you get past that base argument, you're left to ask "What will sell this system?", and the answer is new games like Mario and Zelda and given the option people want to play those games on a TV.

The goal of this system is to unify Nintendo's portable and console development under one organization (they've already done this internally), it just isn't going to happen overnight, and they can't abandon a system with a 60 million device install base for a new system that has an install base of zero and their previous system pushed less than 12 million.

A portable "port" machine is niche, and Nintendo can't make a niche product their new flagship. If the system sells you better effing believe the major developers will be porting anything they conceivably make money off of over to the Switch.
tamusc
AG
hph6203 said:

tamusc said:

The crux of his argument is that HD ports of old console games will push sales of this device, which is simply wrong. When you get past that base argument, you're left to ask "What will sell this system?", and the answer is new games like Mario and Zelda and given the option people want to play those games on a TV.

The goal of this system is to unify Nintendo's portable and console development under one organization (they've already done this internally), it just isn't going to happen overnight, and they can't abandon a system with a 60 million device install base for a new system that has an install base of zero and their previous system pushed less than 12 million.

A portable "port" machine is niche, and Nintendo can't make a niche product their new flagship. If the system sells you better effing believe the major developers will be porting anything they conceivably make money off of over to the Switch.
As a home console, I'd be shocked if the Switch is more than a blip in sales over the next two years compared to the PS4 and XB1 SKUs and that won't attract already doubtful third party devs.

His point was that it would be better to position the Switch primarily as a mobile device with the ability to ALSO be a home console. In doing that, you knock off almost a $100 in accessories like the dock and drop the intro price of the Switch down to the $200-$250 range, rather than the $299 price point. At the $299 price point as a home console, you're competing with two vastly more powerful systems with vastly larger libraries of games and third party dev support. At a $200 price point, the Switch would seem like a steal as a mobile gaming system and secondary console. At that $200-$250 price point you sell more consoles, making the risk of spending development dollars on ports a less risky proposition for third party devs, particularly with the selling point of it being a mobile system that can play full fledged console games.

I love me some Zelda and Mario, but I skipped the last two consoles because they were vastly inferior to the competition and had terrible third party support. Few compelling first party titles also hurt. I have owned five different Xbox consoles, three PS consoles and spent countless thousands on gaming PCs since the last time I owned a Nintendo console. If Nintendo, a company that I associate with many fond childhood memories, can't convince me to buy a gaming system, they have failed. There are three reasons I am considering, and likely will get the Switch; Zelda, Mario and most of all, the niche of portability.
Vade281
AG
The answer is yes.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

At the $299 price point as a home console, you're competing with two vastly more powerful systems with vastly larger libraries of games and third party dev support.
Sure, but those aren't portable.
agfan2013
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sure, but those aren't portable.

And people that want portable likely already have the 3DS, ninentdo said they wont abandon it and both will work side by side. Sure they will probably start to phase it out down the road, but not for the first few years.

I agree with tamusc, they need to drop the price by eliminating the home console add ons and offer that as option for people who want it. They should market this as a portable console with the ability to connect to a tv/home setup, not as a home console with the ability to go portable which they are currently doing. If they brand it as more of a portable console, that might help draw in more third party developers.

As I said in my earlier post, sure there will be some ninetndo fanboys who will buy anything nintendo puts out, I see several of yall in this thread. But if they want to be successful and stay in this for the long-haul, they need to capture more of the market share and that includes current young gamers that didnt grow up in the era of the Super nintendo or N64 like we did. Not being able to play a lot of new AAA games on this while they can with all their friends on a xbox or ps4 will not help ninentdo's sales.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I would agree that the price needs to drop, but I don't think getting rid of all the home console stuff is the way to do it.

It should have the ability to "Switch" right out of the box. It's literally in the title of the console, so you can't have that as an "option", IMO.

I think at the very least, if you're going to ask for $300, at least bundle in a game. (1-2-Switch is the type of game that should be included.)
agfan2013
AG
That's fair that since its in the title it probably does need to go between the two right out of the gate, but they need to do something to cheapen it up or increase the "value" you are getting with its price point. I realize the ability to go portable is a feature they are charging for but its hard to get people to see that when they can buy a far more powerful PS4, with a game, for $270 on Amazon right now (or get a deal like I did on black friday for the console and two games for $250). Again, sure its not portable, but everybody has a smart phone these days for some games, and more hardcore mobile gamers probably already have a 3DS or vita.

I realize I sound like im coming off as a nintendo hater, and thats not the case at all. I really wouldnt mind buying a switch to play the new mario, mario kart, smash brothers, zelda games, etc. I just dont see this a being successful for how they are marketing it right now and $300 isnt something im willing to pay for what im getting at this point.
tamusc
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I would agree that the price needs to drop, but I don't think getting rid of all the home console stuff is the way to do it.

It should have the ability to "Switch" right out of the box. It's literally in the title of the console, so you can't have that as an "option", IMO.

I think at the very least, if you're going to ask for $300, at least bundle in a game. (1-2-Switch is the type of game that should be included.)
I don't disagree with this either. I think the point is more about the competition they're competing with at the $299 price point as a home console. Bundling a glorified tech demo like 1-2 Switch would definitely be a positive step.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Having a Zelda bundle for a bit cheaper than cost (ie. $329.99) would also be a pretty good solution for a lot of people.

I would be a lot more inclined to get that bundle if it's saving me $30.
tamusc
AG
Yeah, I would probably have even jumped on that as a preorder.
Red Five
AG
I will buy one, although I think I'm going to pass on getting it at launch. I can wait on Mario and Zelda, I'm probably more looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles. Now if they announced Monster Hunter 5 for the switch, I would instantly buy one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nintendo announced today that Zelda on Switch will run at 900p, 30 FPS.

That's up from 720p on the Wii U, but the FPS is not 60 as I had hoped for.
powerbelly
AG
At this rate I think I am going to just pick up a 3ds for my mobile gaming needs.
tamusc
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Nintendo announced today that Zelda on Switch will run at 900p, 30 FPS.

That's up from 720p on the Wii U, but the FPS is not 60 as I had hoped for.
Ugh, so did they say what it will be while mobile? I know they said it'll run at 720p while mobile, but didn't see frame rate.
hph6203
AG
Third party devs don't make lots of games specifically for portable consoles, look at the Nintendo 3DS and Playstation Vita as examples. They're going to continue plugging along making the games they make regardless of what the Switch does. That's perfectly fine, because Nintendo hasnt relied on third party devs since the SNES. Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they fail, but they ultimately do based upon what they create, not what outsiders do.

The home console peripherals are not substantially impacting the build materials for this device, and removing that portion makes the marketing muddied for the device. It's way easier to show the Switch on a big screen and then removed from its dock to convey the quality and depth of the games you're going to get on the device.

The $300 price point is based upon what Nintendo thinks they can make on it in the launch year, not how much it costs to make (it's basically a Shield Tablet, which retails for $200 with a bigger higher quality screen). It also gives them the latitude to drop the price later this year or early next year and potentially lose the dock further down the line.

It's also bulkier and less portable than an iPad Mini, so it's not exactly a great replacement to the 3DS. It's backpack, train, plane, and bus portable, not pocket portable.

The way Nintendo could really get momentum is by turning the Nintendo Switch into the place to play first party games (something the Vita lacked) and indie games. Offer indie devs a waiver of the licensing fees on the first ~50,000 units pushed and do weekly promotions on the front page of their shop. While Xbox/PS4 is plastered with nothing but Battlefield/COD/Destiny, Nintendo highlights Stardew Valley/Firewatch/The Witness/Inside.

Maybe it's just my age, but I'd buy a switch for those games. I'd rather play those kinds of games on the Switch than on the Xbox or PS4, and those are the level of games that Ubi, EA, and Activision would be willing to port over. Games that are already primed and prepped to run on a system of the Switch's capabilities.

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is that you don't have to remove the home console portion of the device to emphasize the portability, or reduce the price. They can emphasize the portability with the dock included, and they can reduce the price when that is appropriate. It's not appropriate at launch to make the device appealing to everyone, because they probably don't have the units available to fulfill those orders. $300 now, bundles at the end of the year, and $250 next year and they can maximize their revenue without stripping the console down.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.