Television Problem

1,511 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JMC94
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I have an old Panasonic plasma TV in my living room. Last summer we had some kind of electrical surge that I thought had fried the TV or the surge protector that I have it plugged into. I let it sit unplugged for a week last summer, then when I plugged it back in, it worked just fine.

Fast forward a couple of months. I wake up on a Saturday after having watched that TV the night before to a clicking sound. TV will not power on. I unplug it and leave it alone while I go away to Aggieland for A&M-Tennessee. Next morning I plug it back in, no clicking, works just fine. This repeats a time or two more.

Last weekend I wake up at 3am to the sound of clicking. I go unplug it and leave it for a few days. Only now when I plugged it back in, it goes right back to the clicking.

I suspect this is a fried power supply, or something similar. Any one ever encounter this kind of problem? Short of simply replacing the TV, what other options might I have? Is this something that a person who can use a soldering iron but that's it could fix?

When this TV turns on, the picture and sound are still as good as ever. It is actually still my favorite TV, even though I have a newer technology LED 3D TV in the movie room. Would really like to be able to salvage this old plasma without having to sink a bunch of $$$ into it.
YZ250
This happened to my Panasonic plasma TV a couple of months ago. I believe it to be one of the circuit boards or capacitors. When mine wouldn't turn on the power light would blink several times. If yours does that count how many times it blinks then do a search for what it means. The problem though is I don't believe they make or carry replacement parts for the plasmas anymore which stinks because like you I loved that TV. Maybe you'll have more luck in fixing yours. I had to buy a new one.
chigger
AG
Yeah it's probably the power distribution board. Capacitors most likely. I had a Samsung with the same issue. Fortunately I got it repaired under a class action suit and we still use that TV. You could try taking it to a repair shop, but it may be several hundred to fix. These days you might be able to buy a new one for that.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Agree with others that it may be the power supply board. Go to shopjimmy and see if they have the part.

https://www.shopjimmy.com/
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Thanks for all these responses. I have plugged it in again and it is working again.
The Fife
MSFC Aggie said:

Agree with others that it may be the power supply board. Go to shopjimmy and see if they have the part.

This. Boards inside TVs are cheap and easy to replace. The hardest part is getting it face down on the floor without gravity taking over and doing it for you.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The Fife said:

MSFC Aggie said:

This. Boards inside TVs are cheap and easy to replace. The hardest part is getting it face down on the floor without gravity taking over and doing it for you.
I checked out this site, and naturally, the power supply for my particular TV is out of stock. Cost a bit more than $100, which is lower than I was expecting. For now the TV is working but clearly I need to fix it.

You say it is easy to replace. How easy? Any soldering to do?
The Fife
The boards I've swapped they were at largest, the size of a mousepad. You basically need to get the TV lying face down on the floor, remove the screws holding the rear cover on, and then you have access to all of the internals. Unplug connectors, replace board and put it all back together and then you're done.
MSFC Aggie
AG
The Fife said:

The boards I've swapped they were at largest, the size of a mousepad. You basically need to get the TV lying face down on the floor, remove the screws holding the rear cover on, and then you have access to all of the internals. Unplug connectors, replace board and put it all back together and then you're done.
This. I recently replaced the board on my Vizio. Took about 15 minutes. No soldering needed.
JMC94
thanks for the info guys. my samsung of about 9 years is giving me the flashing red light and the 2 tone sound as it tries to turn on. I ordered a new one but will try and fix it myself. If successful will move it to the porch.
fta09
AG
Check ebay for parts.
JMC94
Good idea fta09
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.