New Phone for AT&T

2,232 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by VonDownByTheRiver
maverick2076
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have an iPhone 6 and am eligible for upgrade. Normally I would keep this phone until it died, but I've been having issues with the battery life and with the charger staying plugged into the phone. I've had iPhones since the first one came out, and I've never had another brand of smart phone. I'm no Apple fanboy, (I hate the computers) but I like the phones and have other iPods. What phones should I consider other than the iPhone 7, and why?
jbirdag96
AG
Like you, I've had iphones since they came out. However, being the gadget geek that I am I became interested in the Samsung Galaxy line a few years ago. I tried the S3 and the S6 and really liked them. The main reason I went back to iPhone is that I'm heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem in my classroom. The one thing I don't like about the newer Galaxy phones is they no longer have a removable battery or ability to add memory. That was something I just liked in spite of never having battery or storage problems. I know there are other phones out there that are just as good, but I've no experience with them.
Cloud
maverick2076 said:

I have an iPhone 6 and am eligible for upgrade. Normally I would keep this phone until it died, but I've been having issues with the battery life and with the charger staying plugged into the phone. I've had iPhones since the first one came out, and I've never had another brand of smart phone. I'm no Apple fanboy, (I hate the computers) but I like the phones and have other iPods. What phones should I consider other than the iPhone 7, and why?

You may be eligible for a free battery replacement from Apple. There should be a place on their website to put in your serial number to check.

Also, get a paper clip and clean out the lighting port on your phone. Dust build up will cause that. I remember cleaning mine out not it charged like a champ after.
aezmvp
jbirdag96 said:

Like you, I've had iphones since they came out. However, being the gadget geek that I am I became interested in the Samsung Galaxy line a few years ago. I tried the S3 and the S6 and really liked them. The main reason I went back to iPhone is that I'm heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem in my classroom. The one thing I don't like about the newer Galaxy phones is they no longer have a removable battery or ability to add memory. That was something I just liked in spite of never having battery or storage problems. I know there are other phones out there that are just as good, but I've no experience with them.
You may want to wait for the S8. Rumors that are all but confirmed show a 256 GB internal memory and the S7 has the removable memory I've got a 128GB card in there but I'm only moderately happy with that as the Samsung overlay of the Android system isn't as flexible with it. They've said that that will change for the S8 but that's not confirmed yet. We'll have a pretty good idea of what's coming with a lot of that in March/April. If you can hold out it may be what you're looking for. The Pixel has good reviews but is only on Verizon and I'd stay away from the LG stuff until they get a little more market penetration.
Pman17
AG
The next iPhone should be game changing, but that's in 8 1/2 months. I love my iPhone 7+. I had the 6+ and decided to get the 7+ because I noticed its lack in speed since Apple didn't try to beef up the 6+ when it came out. Also people started having problems with their touchscreen response and Apple wouldn't pay to have it fixed. A buddy of mine had the issue. He got the Note 7, damn, sucks for him!

Anyways if you can't wait for the next iPhone, you could try doing the 1 year next plan and pay a little extra each month so that you can upgrade when the next iPhone comes out.

Next iPhone Rumors
-True Wireless Charging by Energous, none of that pad induction crap. http://energous.com/
-Bezel free phone
-Touch ID in the screen
-OLED Display
-Glass Body

zooguy96
1. Get Cricket. They offer an unlimited plan (data caps at 8 gigs although you still get data after that at 2G speeds) for $50. We pay $90/month for both of us (you can pay less if you auto-pay).

2. Stay a phone model or two behind. Is a 6S really that different from a 7? My wife and I had 16 gig 5 S's and I had an ipad mini. I sold both of our phones, sold the ipad mini, bought a 6S 64 gig for $300 and a 6S Plus 128 gig for $500, and after negating part of the cost with the sale of our old devices, paid a net of $425 for two phones which will serve us for another 2 years easily, which are much nicer than our current phones. Much cheaper than paying $8-900 per phone and being stuck on a contract. In two years, rinse and repeat.

My service is 10X better than what I had with AT&T (customer service wise and ease of paying bill), even though it's on the same network. Plus, I have no stupid contract.
bam02
AG
Zooguy, where did you purchase your phones? I'm looking at getting "new" used phone, too.
Charpie
AG
Love my 7 plus
zooguy96
bam02 said:

Zooguy, where did you purchase your phones? I'm looking at getting "new" used phone, too.
I bought one phone from a friend and one from my BIL (who always has 2 or 3 of the current model, and thus has 2 or 3 he's looking to sell).

Got my wife's 6S 64 gig for $300 and my 6S+ 128 gig with 4 cases and original box, etc. for $500.

I'd look at Ebay. There's a shop someone suggested on a post I had on the classified's board where I was selling my iphones and ipad.
KidDoc
AG
I'm really liking this Samsung Galaxy S7 active. Very large battery, it does take a memory card (as opposed to mentioned above) but they battery is not removable sadly.

Not cheap though.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bam02
AG
zooguy96 said:

bam02 said:

I bought one phone from a friend and one from my BIL (who always has 2 or 3 of the current model, and thus has 2 or 3 he's looking to sell).

Got my wife's 6S 64 gig for $300 and my 6S+ 128 gig with 4 cases and original box, etc. for $500.

I'd look at Ebay. There's a shop someone suggested on a post I had on the classified's board where I was selling my iphones and ipad.
Thanks. I will look for the eBay info. I know there is Glyde and some other used phone sites but just curious what is best. I used one years ago (I think it was Glyde but can't be sure) and had mixed results. My phone was great, but the one my wife received was completely wrong. They did take care of it pretty quick, though, and were pretty satisfied in the end. I need to see if I have any records of the purchase.

In reference to KidDoc's post...

I've been on iOs for a while and think I'm ready to consider Android. My wife will certainly want to stick with iPhone, though. Can someone give me the rundown of the Samsung Galaxy phones... I thought the S7 were the ones with battery issues.
KidDoc
AG
bam02 said:

zooguy96 said:

bam02 said:

Thanks. I will look for the eBay info. I know there is Glyde and some other used phone sites but just curious what is best. I used one years ago (I think it was Glyde but can't be sure) and had mixed results. My phone was great, but the one my wife received was completely wrong. They did take care of it pretty quick, though, and were pretty satisfied in the end. I need to see if I have any records of the purchase.

In reference to KidDoc's post...

I've been on iOs for a while and think I'm ready to consider Android. My wife will certainly want to stick with iPhone, though. Can someone give me the rundown of the Samsung Galaxy phones... I thought the S7 were the ones with battery issues.
S7 Note (like iphone +) had battery issues. Engadget, CNET, and several others have many reviews that will compare and contrast the various android models (LG G5, Galaxy s7, etc).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag12thman
AG
You definitely need to check out the Samsung Galaxy line. I'd also give the Google phones a look. I've heard rave reviews on them.
MsDoubleD81
AG
You seem to know about Samsung. I had the Note 7 which I loved and then when it got recalled switched to the Note 5 in October. I have had several issues with Wi-Fi not staying connected (unknowingly pushed me to data which resulted in overages) and now there's an issue with Bluetooth not turning on. Been through several resets, it works for 5 minutes then back to not working. Ever had these issues?

Ag12thman
AG
I have the Note 5 and have had it for almost 2 years and have none of those problems. It's been the best phone I've ever had (which I've had other Samsung phones, iPhone, and Blackberry in the past). I can't say that I've had any issues at all with any of the things you named. I just checked my Bluetooth and it's working great. WiFi always connects. Only thing I know you can do (which may or may not help you) is set a data limit so, if you get kicked over to data usage, you'll at least get a warning when you exceed whatever data limit you'd like to set it at. I'm assuming you are still currently having those issues you mentioned???
MsDoubleD81
AG
Yes, bluetooth on the Note 5 still will not turn on. Trying to convince Verizon to replace the phone since I only got it 3 months ago. Or let me switch phones without fees. Or even better, let me out of contract and go to another provider. They have lacked badly in customer service/tech support.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Ag12thman
AG
Sure thing - anytime! I tried my Bluetooth again a couple of days ago and zero problems. I'm on AT&T and the phone has been outstanding for me. Like I said - best phone I've ever had and I've had iPhones and many other phones.
VonDownByTheRiver
It's the wrong time to buy Samsung, as the S8 is coming in 3 months.

iPhone 7 isn't enough of an upgrade over the 6S to justify a purchase now either when the rumored complete redesign is 8 months away. I'd pick up a clean used 6S on craigslist to hold you over to the 8.

I've had every Galaxy S phone, and the Note 4 as well, and they are just fraught with pains in the ass vs iPhones. Lag, app crashes, needing hard resets, VERY slow OS updates, and on and on. Not worth the trouble to me any more, I'd rather geek out in other ways vs fighting my phone daily.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.