need a new TV

6,578 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Fife
MrJonMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My 8.5 Year old 46" LCD Samsung has died. It's been a spare tv for the past 3yrs but now it just keeps cycling on and off.

Going to move the current living room tv into its place and get a new one for the living.

Recommendations? Wanting to go at least 65". I've read some of CNET reviews on various tvs but always like to ask for "real life" opinions.
ktownag08
AG
$3000 to spend:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_68965B6P/LG-OLED65B6P.html

$1500 to $2000:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_30565S8000/Samsung-UN65KS8000.html

http://m.costco.com/Vizio-65"-Class-(64.5"-Diag.)-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-Home-Theater-Display-P65-C1.product.100321152.html

I'm personally waiting until after X-mas or closer to super bowl for the LG. Will buy it either way. For the second group, I'd likely go with the Visio since it's got Dolby Vision as well and Full-Array Light Dimming.

For the non-expert review, I took the wife to Best Buy to see all 3. She liked the LG best. Said the colors looked better, and it's the only one that looked different in a good way.
MrJonMan
AG
Appreciate the detailed response....I've already been looking at that Vizio

I've never been a fan of curved tvs but I have 2 friends telling me that's the way I should go....I don't get the hype?
ktownag08
AG
The curve is a personal preference. Doesn't do anything for me, but some like it. The idea (I say gimmick) is that it's supposed to feel more immersive than a flat one. That's up to the individual to decide though.

I personally like the fantastic color and absolute blacks the LG produces, but that's me.
MrJonMan
AG
ktownag08 said:

The curve is a personal preference. Doesn't do anything for me, but some like it. The idea (I say gimmick) is that it's supposed to feel more immersive than a flat one. That's up to the individual to decide though.

This was exactly my initial opinion, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something
tfunk02
AG
rtings.com

Best review site out there, and probably where the recs above originated from.
ktownag08
AG
I used that site, CNET, and others in my research.

Then just went and saw each in person to fully decide.
tamusc
AG
ktownag08 said:

$3000 to spend:

$1500 to $2000:

http://m.costco.com/Vizio-65"-Class-(64.5"-Diag.)-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-Home-Theater-Display-P65-C1.product.100321152.html

I'm personally waiting until after X-mas or closer to super bowl for the LG. Will buy it either way. For the second group, I'd likely go with the Visio since it's got Dolby Vision as well and Full-Array Light Dimming.

For the non-expert review, I took the wife to Best Buy to see all 3. She liked the LG best. Said the colors looked better, and it's the only one that looked different in a good way.
This is the beginning and end of the discussion as of now.

I've seen the LG down to around $2500 with some sales and gift cards rebates, but those have come and gone pretty quick.
ktownag08
AG
https://m.newegg.com/Product/Index?itemNumber=9SIA4P04BU0657

Get a $600 Newegg gift card if you have other electronics to buy.
Aggielandma12
AG
Quote:

The curve is a personal preference. Doesn't do anything for me, but some like it
That's what she said.
MrJonMan
AG
Looking like The Vizio is what I'm going to do, debating if I should just grab it at Costco or get Best Buy to price match and try to get a coupon off eBay to save a little more
MrJonMan
AG
Rtings.com actually has the Samsung UN65KS8000 rated slightly higher than the Vizio
tfunk02
AG
I have the Vizio because the KS8000 was $300 more when I got it. Vizio is better for movies, has deeper blacks, and has really low HD game lag (not 4k HDR). The Samsung wins in most other categories.

I will say that the Vizio reflections can be pretty annoying.

Buying at Costco gives you a better warranty, easier return policy, and if you buy their extended warranty it adds an extra year. I always do Costco if I can, but got mine at BestBuy (Vizio was exclusive to BB).
agdoc2001
AG
The Vizio wins because it has full array backlight with 128 dimming zones and the Samsung is edge-lit. I own the Samsung, but the Vizio is a better TV.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MrJonMan
AG
I'm about to swing by Costco and take a look at them in person
MrJonMan
AG
Although I will say, the reflection thing makes me a little weary, as we have a lot of natural light and in our living room
MrJonMan
AG
Couldn't find the Vizio on display at the Best Buy I just left but Costco and Best Buy had the Samsung, pretty darn good picture
Pman17
AG
Wish I had bought the 65" Vizio. I have the 55". Great TV! Just wish it was a little bigger.

Go for HDR! That Vizio has it!

Just fyi, be sure to connect it to the internet for a software update. Mine had a big fat green line going through the screen. I thought it was defective, but the software update fixed it. You will have to fine tune the picture settings yourself to get it to look right. I've got my Xbox One S hooked up to it with the HDR, looks stunning. Had to make some adjustments, flip some switches on the touch remote to get the HDR to work for the Xbox. I recommend the Xbox One S if you want a cheap UHD Blu-Ray player.

Also, the earlier software didn't support HDR10. New software does, some devices required that.
buffalo chip
S
Reflections
KS8000 = 0.5%
P Series = 2.0%

KS8000

P Series

MrJonMan
AG
Going tonight, pretty sure I'm getting the samsung
tamusc
AG
MrJonMan said:

Going tonight, pretty sure I'm getting the samsung
It's a solid TV and you can't go wrong with any of the three. You just have to pick the one that fits your use case and price.
Aggietaco
AG
FYI, despite the other thread complaining about the Samsung EPP website, you might want to check to see if you have the option to purchase through them. The 65" KS8000 is $1,079.99 through them right now and I think it was less during BF.
MrJonMan
AG
Aggietaco said:

FYI, despite the other thread complaining about the Samsung EPP website, you might want to check to see if you have the option to purchase through them. The 65" KS8000 is $1,079.99 through them right now and I think it was less during BF.

Oh really? Looking into it now
tfunk02
AG
Quote:

Quote:

That's my thread. I'm still waiting on delivery of my grandmothers 65" that I ordered 20 days ago. My friend still hasn't received his return slip and will be disputing the charges with his bank (debit card).

It may be worth it for the price, but make sure you are ready for a long delivery process and use a good credit card with insurance in case it is broken.
NColoradoAG
ktownag08 said:

$3000 to spend:

$1500 to $2000:

Same strategy here with the LG. It was down to $2800 on Amazon around thanksgiving. It's bounced up to $3200 and back down to $3000 since.

Targeting after CES and before the super bowl hoping it might go to $2500. I've got a Panasonic plasma I should be able to sell for about $500. If I can net out around $2000 I'm pulling the trigger.
MrJonMan
AG
It appears the EPP glitch is fixed but people are being told to order product at regular price and refund will be issued later.

Think I'm going to just go pick it up at Costco this evening rather than waiting for it to ship first week in January & hoping they give the refund
cr0wbar
AG
I got the LG 65-inch 65LF5700 last year around this time - and I'm noticing the black/contrast is pretty subpar.

I don't know how else to explain it - but I've noticed it a lot lately in darker scenes. The black shadows have this granular look to them. Look terrible. I assume from reading these OLED are much better with pure blacks
tamusc
AG
cr0wbar said:

I got the LG 65-inch 65LF5700 last year around this time - and I'm noticing the black/contrast is pretty subpar.

I don't know how else to explain it - but I've noticed it a lot lately in darker scenes. The black shadows have this granular look to them. Look terrible. I assume from reading these OLED are much better with pure blacks
That's one of the older, low end LG edgelit LED RokuTVs. It's nothing like their OLED displays, which are the best on the market.
tfunk02
AG
OLED is true black. If the picture has a black signal then no light will be produced by that pixel.

Local dimming by the Vizio P allows it to have pretty dang good blacks, but it can't compete with OLED.
Aggietaco
AG
MrJonMan said:

It appears the EPP glitch is fixed but people are being told to order product at regular price and refund will be issued later.

Think I'm going to just go pick it up at Costco this evening rather than waiting for it to ship first week in January & hoping they give the refund
I'm not sure what glitch you're talking about, but if your company has a program in place (mine is through beneplace), you should be able to purchase at that price. You'll just have to wait for delivery.
MrJonMan
AG
Aggietaco said:

MrJonMan said:

I'm not sure what glitch you're talking about, but if your company has a program in place (mine is through beneplace), you should be able to purchase at that price. You'll just have to wait for delivery.

A thread I found on Slickdeals stating that the pricing was messed up but they will refund the difference later on. However I don't want to wait 2-4wks.

Plus my company doesn't offer it so it wouldn't matter, ha. Appreciate the info though
MrJonMan
AG
tfunk02 said:

OLED is true black. If the picture has a black signal then no light will be produced by that pixel.

Local dimming by the Vizio P allows it to have pretty dang good blacks, but it can't compete with OLED.

I was all about the OLED but apparently the wife is being responsible and says we aren't spending that much.....with a baby on the way I guess there are other priorities
tfunk02
AG
OLED is better for a babies eyes. Makes them less likely to end up with autism.

Total BS, but see if the rib falls for it. Get the OLED!

MrJonMan
AG
tfunk02 said:

OLED is better for a babies eyes. Makes them less likely to end up with autism.

Total BS, but see if the rib falls for it. Get the OLED!

Probably BPA free too!
MrJonMan
AG
Was slightly thrown off, as Costco had it listed as the S800D....but google quickly told me that's how they list all their samsungs. Store associate told me it's how they protect themselves from being price matched too
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.