Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

420,856 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I barely use my 50mm and only have the 50 1.8.

I spend all day with the 35/85 duo. When I was Canon, I often shot the 35/135 duo.

I don't often use my 70-200 except for sports.
AggieDruggist89
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

TexAgsAnon said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Dude... You have major gaps in focal length.
It's called feet. I like to use mine.

Next year, I'll pick up a 10-24. I have never found myself wanting for a 50-60mm equivalent, ever.

You know, having grown up shooting 50mm, I always think it's a necessary focal length. But it's really not. I think great portrait FL starts from 85mm and most landscape FL are at a much wider range.
I only have my 50mm f1.4 because of the helicopter photography I do, which sucks because the Sony 50mm f1.4 is hella 'spensive

Bah.... 50 mm f1.0 or gtfo!
bthotugigem05
AG
I've looked at renting the Leica 50mm f.95 Noctilux for a certain night helicopter gig I was doing, but didn't want 10k of glass hanging out the side of a helicopter.
AggieDruggist89
AG
TexAgsAnon said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

They make pills for that, no worries

OH man... I have so many come backs...

Holy chit good thing I didn't have coffee in my mouth...
dubi
AG
Quote:

You know, having grown up shooting 50mm, I always think it's a necessary focal length. But it's really not. I think great portrait FL starts from 85mm and most landscape FL are at a much wider range.
I have a 50mm lens and i've used it twice in 4 years.

So I probably use my 24-105 as a substitute.
tk for tu juan
bthotugigem05 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

They make pills for that, no worries

OH man... I have so many come backs...

Good to see Jeff Gordon found something to do during retirement
AggieDruggist89
AG
He retired?
bthotugigem05
AG
Just in case anyone didn't know, former pitcher and birdkiller Randy Johnson became a pretty prolific photographer after he retired: http://rj51photos.com/
AZAG08
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Just in case anyone didn't know, former pitcher and birdkiller Randy Johnson became a pretty prolific photographer after he retired: http://rj51photos.com/
What a logo
Cromagnum
AG
Was considering shooting my 40D for years to come but have a sizeable gift card burning a hole in my wallet now. Considering possibly getting either a 80D or a 7D MkII as they are very close in price/performance. Any strong thoughts to one vs the other?
TexAgsAnon
Comes down to what newer features you prefer and what your primary subjects are.

80D has that nice swivel screen, touchscreen, better dynamic range, 40% better battery life.

7DMKII has 50% faster FPS, higher extended ISO, and more AF points.
dubi
AG
TexAgsAnon said:

Comes down to what newer features you prefer and what your primary subjects are.

80D has that nice swivel screen, touchscreen, better dynamic range, 40% better battery life.

I own the 70D and love the touch screen that swivels out and the forever battery life.
AggieDruggist89
AG
TexAgsAnon said:

Oh man...tough decision there.

Consider that 7DII is 3 years old and 80D is almost 2 years old now.

7D is bigger, has 200,000 shutter life vs. 100,000 but 80D's articulating screen, 24 mp vs. 20 mp, and wifi make it a tough choice.

I believe 7D does have a wifi kit..

I'm glad I'm not in your shoes Croman.
dubi
AG
WiFi is da bomb! Shoot a photo and post it on social media 1 minute later.
TexAgsAnon
AggieDruggist89 said:

TexAgsAnon said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

TexAgsAnon said:

Someone local is interested in my 6D and it feels like someone is offering to buy my child. Changing systems is heart wrenching!
Dont be a wuss...

Wait.. if I was completely dumping DSLR....I'd be feel the same, I think.

I found my like new, used once Olympus EMA-1 stereo mic in a drawer and i'll make ya a heck of a deal if you need it.
I don't need it but there's a guy on u43 forum looking for one.

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/want-to-buy-sema-1-to-use-with-em-5-location-usa-ships-n-a.95794/

Contact him.
Thanks for this, he ended up buying it.
TexAgsAnon
And after having wifi on my last 3 bodies, I would never go back to a non-wifi camera.
tk for tu juan
Canon will probably announce a 7DmkIII near the beginning of 2018.
tk for tu juan
Some other advantages the 7DII has over the 80D is two card slots vs one, and a joystick to control the autofocus points.

My 7DII is currently sitting in a drawer collecting dust. I mainly use my 5D for everything. The 7D is a really nice outdoor action camera, but starts to struggle in lowlight indoor events.
Cromagnum
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Saw that, but I'm sure it will be $1500 or higher too. I can get a 7D2 or an 80D for South of $1k, not counting any price drops once the newest stuff comes out in the spring.
bthotugigem05
AG
I'd get the 80D if you can get it below $1k
Guitarsoup
AG
I wouldn't expect a 7D3 any time soon. It was over 5 years between 7d1 and 7D2 announcements.
TexAgsAnon
Plenty of lightly used 80Ds on Fred Miranda. Saw a 2 week old one go for $800.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Cromagnum said:

tk for tu juan said:

Saw that, but I'm sure it will be $1500 or higher too. I can get a 7D2 or an 80D for South of $1k, not counting any price drops once the newest stuff comes out in the spring.

I know a guy with 7DII collecting dust in his drawer. But his camera struggles in low light. I would think 80D would also..
AggieDruggist89
AG
I personally would go with 7DII with wifi kit. YMMV.

MY last APS-C DSLR were 7D and 50D and I preferred 7D.

dubi
AG
Do not bring logic into this dilemma!
AggieDruggist89
AG
I can't be accused of making any logical purchase when it comes to photo equipment.
dubi
AG
Question for the photo professionals:
So i "wear" my camera on a Black Rapid camera strap . Is it correct that I should hook the strap to the tripod mount on the heavy lenses? Perhaps this is something Guitarsoup mentioned in one of our photography threads?

Comment:
Also, Santa brought me 2 x Arca-Swiss Compatible Fusion Plates as recommended many pages back. OMG, this product is awesome. I can hook my strap to it and it will also function as a tripod mount too. I needed to know this sooner! Thank you!
Guitarsoup
AG
dubi said:

Question for the photo professionals:
So i "wear" my camera on a Black Rapid camera strap . Is it correct that I should hook the strap to the tripod mount on the heavy lenses? Perhaps this is something Guitarsoup mentioned in one of our photography threads?

Comment:
Also, Santa brought me 2 x Arca-Swiss Compatible Fusion Plates as recommended many pages back. OMG, this product is awesome. I can hook my strap to it and it will also function as a tripod mount too. I needed to know this sooner! Thank you!
On your 70-200 and other lenses with a lens collar, use the black rapid on the lens collar, not the camera.
dubi
AG
Thanks!

I meant the lens collar, but didn't know the term.
flintdragon
AG
I bought an additional attachment to the body mount point in case the main one fails.
dubi
AG
flintdragon said:

I bought an additional attachment to the body mount point in case the main one fails.
Me too!

I dropped my camera and 70-200 2.8 lens from about 6'. It was heart rending, but it all still works.
flintdragon
AG
dubi said:

flintdragon said:

Me too!

I dropped my camera and 70-200 2.8 lens from about 6'. It was heart rending, but it all still works.
lol, that's the exact one I bought according to amazon.
jaggiemaggie
AG
https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-80d-3-lens-holiday-refurbished-bundle?WT.mc_id=C126149

Use HOLIDAY17 to bring price to $1199
TexAgsAnon
Don't buy a garbage bundle for $1200 when you can buy a barely touched, 2-4 week old "used" body for $800. Just my 2 cents. For instance, I saved $550 over MSRP by buying "used" on the kit below, when both are just 45 days old from first purchase.

Got my Fuji kit in today, and holy CRAP the 50-140 is a beast, and far heavier than I was thinking it would be. The build quality on both the lens and cam feels light years ahead of the 6D and 70-200 f4.

AggieDruggist89
AG
TexAgsAnon said:

Don't buy a garbage bundle for $1200 when you can buy a barely touched, 2-4 week old "used" body for $800. Just my 2 cents. For instance, I saved $550 over MSRP by buying "used" on the kit below, when both are just 45 days old from first purchase.

Got my Fuji kit in today, and holy CRAP the 50-140 is a beast, and far heavier than I was thinking it would be. The build quality on both the lens and cam feels light years ahead of the 6D and 70-200 f4.

Sweet,

WB to mirrorless!

Yes, I agree. Low shutter count lightly used is the way to go. Most of my camera bodies have been used with less than 5,000 shutter actuations.
First Page Last Page
Page 31 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.