Dual Band WIFI - Switching Between Bands

686 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Big_Worm
TX_AG_10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My current router (Linksys EA3500) is set up for dual bands, both with different SSIDs named 2.4 and 5 respectively. For the most part, I'm always connected to the 5ghz on my Note 5. However, when I go out to the garage the signal is very weak and I end up manually disconnecting from 5ghz and connecting to 2.4.

Is there a way I can make the 5ghz a priority on my phone, then when the service isn't so great it will connect to 2.4? I think the simple answer would be to have the same SSID's on both bands and let the device choose. Will most devices always choose the stronger signal?

I was also wondering if this would be an application for IFTTT or Tasker. Not sure if I could write something up that said once 5ghz gets below a certain strength switch to 2.4. Then once 5ghz get's stronger switch back.
Ark03
AG
There are lots of apps that purport to do this. You may try Wifi Jumper, Best Wifi, or Wifi Connection Manager.
pnut02
AG
Check your router settings to see if there's something under advanced/wireless/5GHz settings that will push clients to 2.4GHz if they fall below a certain signal strength.
TX_AG_10
AG
Thanks for the responses. Doesn't look like there are any automatic switching settings on the router. Will try to give those apps a shot tonight.

But I'm still curious about just naming the two channels with the same SSID. Then the phone/device would just choose the stronger signal, right?
bigtruckguy3500
TX_AG_10 said:

But I'm still curious about just naming the two channels with the same SSID. Then the phone/device would just choose the stronger signal, right?
No, I think each has its own mac address. Like you can actually have networks with no SSID, and the clients will recognize the network by mac address.
Big_Worm
AG
Why not just use 2.4 exclusively?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.