Fixing Receiver / Buying a new

475 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bigboykin
thaed137
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alright so I have had my receiver for about 4-5 years and it has worked very well. However, the HDMI out just stopped working. The receiver will still play audio but fails to display or send any type of signal to the tv for video. I have tried different HDMI cords and switching all the HDMI inputs around but to no avail. I opened it up to see if I could see any damage but can't see anything that looks off (I have next to zero knowledge of circuit boards). As with that, the piece is soldered on so replacing it myself won't be easy if that is even the issue. Any other tricks to try?

If I do end buying a new one any recommendations? Budget would be under $350.

I would like 7.2, 4K capable, at least 3 HDMI inputs, Bluetooth music/video would be great. I see a lot of them have app support now. I currently have a Yamaha RX series and liked it so I am not against going back if the HDMI going out is just one of those one off things. I have a true 7 speaker and 2 sub woofer set up so 7.2 is a sticking point.

Appreciate any help as texags helped me buy my last one several years ago!

Diggity
AG
In my experience, HDMI connections are very sensitive to electrical surges.

When my house was struck my lighting....the HDMI's in my various devices were the most common casualty by far.

No experience in repairing but I would imagine it ain't worth the hassle.
bigboykin
AG
I'm definitely no expert and have no specific experience with any of these, but I was just researching receivers for my dad (who uses 17 remotes and physically switches out hdmi cables in the back of his TV) for Christmas.

There was what looked to be a good deal on a Pioneer VSX-1131 on Amazon, but it appears to have expired. Still sometimes these deals tend to pop back up, so it might be worth setting up an alert or otherwise keeping an eye on. I've been very happy with my VSX-822 I got a few years back.

I also came across a bunch on Accessories4less that look like they'd fit the bill price and feature wise. I'd check Amazon, Best Buy, Cnet, Crutchfield, etc. for reviews.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.