project fi

7,154 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GarlandAg2012
sts7049
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i searched a found a couple old threads on the topic but not a lot of recent ones.

anyone using this service? i'm considering switching because i'm moving out of the country early next year for a 1year assignment, and i think these data rates would be a big cost savings where i'm going. plus it would cut my verizon bill i have now in at least half i think.

the coverage map in the US definitely seems not as good for 4G compared to verizon, but as long you're in city limits you're generally OK.
nai06
AG
Its great and their international service is good too
atmhockey
AG
Wife and I switched to Fi 6 months ago. Service has been great and phones switches seamlessly between the Sprint and T-mo towers. Haven't ever had it jump on US Wireless that I know of as of yet. I am on Wifi most of the time at home and work so the lowest data was OK for me.
YouBet
AG
Does this replace your current mobile provider or just complement it with expanded wifi reach?
TxAgg07
AG
It replaces your mobile provider.
ABKitch
AG
It's good. Just do it.
nai06
AG
I'll also add that Google's customer service might the best and most responsive ive ever experienced.
OasisMan
AG
I am a half month into my billing cycle and have used 0.18 GB
flintdragon
AG
I think cell support outside the US will work but will not perform to your expectations.

I've had Fi for a while and went to Canada in the summer. While I had cellular and data the whole time, the speeds just were not good. I don't know much about cell tech so I'm not sure why.

If internet speeds are important to you, I'd also look into a local plan for wherever you are especially if you are there for an extended time.
double aught
AG
nai06 said:

I'll also add that Google's customer service might the best and most responsive ive ever experienced.
Seconded. I've called over a couple of minor things, and they've been great.
Prime0882
AG
I'm using the service in Afghanistan and I can tell you that the fact that I have service makes me pretty happy. It's not the fastest, but it works. Using this service has cut my cell phone bills down considerable since switching from Verizon. I'm pretty happy with it.
Sentinel
AG
I'm using it in SC. Can't complain. You pay for what you use which is nice for me. It hasn't really been different quality wise from my previous service with Sprint.
Gator2_01
AG
If you're looking to be overseas for an entire year I might look at a local service, T Mobile, or Sprint vs Google Fi - depending on how much data you plan on using.

Fi wants you to run everything on WiFi, so you're paying $10/GB of data. If you get a T Mobile plan your included data will certainly be less than $10/GB.

Overall I like the Fi service. Works great in ATX and I have no problems through Europe, Africa, and Afghanistan for phone calls and data. But if I were going to be in a single place for a year I'd probably shop something specific to that location.

YouBet
AG
Looked more into this and can't use it. Only works with Pixel and two Nexus phones.
tamusc
AG
YouBet said:

Looked more into this and can't use it. Only works with Pixel and two Nexus phones.
Great phones (Pixel and Pixel XL especially) as long as you're comfortable with Android.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
In my area (Rockwall) the coverage was terrible. That combined with the fact that my plan from Cricket gives me more data for $5 more and the coverage is fantastic (AT&T towers), the wife and I switched back to that.

That said, if you do have good coverage, it's a solid option - though the plan is a huge pain in the ass to transition out of (though I'm not convinced what I was told by their service rep is right).
RoyIII_Ag08
AG
FYI, I will be receiving a Pixel and Fi sim card later this week, so I will share my experience later. A colleague of mine switched a few weeks ago and likes it, but he said there have been a few dropped calls and poor call quality. Regardless, I'm still optimistic.
sts7049
AG
what are the T-Mobile plans like for international data? I think on verizon just for 200MB it gets expensive quick. that's why i was thinking that all in, the Fi service would be better there.

i could look into getting a local provider too i suppose but i have no idea what those costs would be. i figured that i'd be able to get the Fi service hooked in with their local data network as a better option.
pnut02
AG
I've been on Project Fi with a Nexus 5x over a year now and have been happy. Most of the places I go have both TMobile and Sprint coverage, so no issues there. Sometimes it gets hairy at Kyle Field or other large facilities, but you can use dial codes to force one network or the other. I also like the fact it will utilize wifi (and vpn) for calling/data to save you more money.
ABKitch
AG
One question for you Android/Project Fi nerds... a few months ago my phone (Nexus 6P) was stolen so I had to replace it. This new one has always had a problem connecting to T-Mobile's network, but Sprint works just fine. I have done numerous chats with the Project Fi customer service people and they have tried all kinds of things with me, punching in codes, uninstalling updates to the Fi app and reinstalling, etc. etc. and nothing has stuck permanently.

After all I've tried, I think it may be a hardware issue, which sucks because I'm now well outside of my window to be able to return the phone (bought via BestBuy.com)

For the time being, I am making it work by using the Fi Switch app, which allows me to manually switch to another network with just a press of a button or two.

1) Has anyone else run into a similar issue, and were you able to fix it (and how)? As mentioned, I have tried putting in various codes (at the guidance of Project Fi support), have uninstalled the updates for the app and reinstalled, and have done a factory reset on the phone, none of which have worked.

2) If there's no fix... is there any way of permanently disabling the antenna that connects to T-Mobile, so it will always look for Sprint only? I get GREAT service when on Sprint, but when it automatically switches to T-Mobile as I drive around, etc., I lose my LTE data connection immediately.

By the way, for anyone considering a switch to Project Fi, please don't let this scare you off... this seems to be totally related to my phone, and is no indication of what should be expected for you or anyone else that buys one of these phones and uses the service. My old Nexus 6P worked flawlessly and I never saw a problem like this before. Even with this problem occurring, I still love my 6P and love the service (when it is connected!)
tamusc
AG
Have you spoken to Google about a warranty return or exchange?
ABKitch
AG
I haven't (because I bought the phone from Best Buy) but I suppose it's worth a shot. Definitely seems like a hardware/manufacturer defect of some kind, so maybe they'd take pity on me and help me get another one. Another reason to always buy directly from Google I suppose...
Gator2_01
AG
I thought T Mobile (and Sprint) included all data on your plan internationally for the regular plan price. However, I haven't actually shopped them to be sure.
ABKitch
AG
Well after one more unsuccessful chat with Project Fi support that ended in them telling me to contact Huawei for warranty replacement, and that guy then ASSURING me that it was a problem with the network settings and telling me to go back to Project Fi support (for the 5th or 6th time since August), I finally chatted with someone who tried a few things with me and then sent an email later saying that they had changed some settings from their end, that hopefully would work. Restarted my phone, and I am connected to T-Mobile LTE with full bars!

Crazy that it took so long to get this fixed but nice to not have to use a 3rd part app to keep me connected to a working LTE network.
PatAg
AG
Only downside to Project Fi is no family plan
double aught
AG
Not sure if you've checked recently, but they've added group plans.
AggieT
AG
Gave it a try but will be switching back to Cricket.
bigtruckguy3500
I'm thinking about using my google voice number with project Fi, and then if I like it I'll transfer my main number to it, and move my google voice number back to just being google voice. I don't want to lose my main phone plan if I want to come back.
pnut02
AG
Just an FYI when on Google Fi you cannot have an additional Google Voice number; they are now one in the same. But you can transfer to another account...

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/3527591?hl=en
OasisMan
AG
RoyIII_Ag08 said:

...but he said there have been a few dropped calls...
i have had 2 dropped calls in Jacksonville, FL
ABKitch
AG
Free $10 Google Play credit for all Project Fi subscribers!

https://slickdeals.net/f/9499360-free-10-google-play-credit-from-project-fi-project-fi-subscribers-only
RoyIII_Ag08
AG
I've had the Pixel and Fi service for the past three days. So far, everything has been great. I don't have a ton of experience with it yet, but I have twice intentionally tested starting a call on wifi and then walking and driving away with great reception the whole time.

Interestingly, Android seems to have a large update I'm installing right now, so time will tell if affects anything.
sts7049
AG
welp, i decided to go for it. will get my pixel this coming week and it gives me a couple weeks to play around with it before i head out.
RoyIII_Ag08
AG
I took the Pixel with Fi service overseas after Christmas. It worked great. A few minutes after landing the phone connected to T-Mobile's network and never missed a beat.
AliasMan02
AG
Watchlisting this because I'm waiting for the wife's silver XL to come back into stock, then we're making the jump. Can't wait.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.