TV Crap

2,449 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by pikedawg
IslandAg76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

OK...What is the best, most comprehensive TV collection of stuff...Local news, major networks, good shows, some movies and sports-including all Aggie games.

I am eye glazed...Comcast, Direct TV, AT&T, Roku, Hulu, Apple TV, Tivo, Sling, WTF....how do you put this together?
BEaggie08
AG
Best answer is that it depends on what you and your family watch.

For me, DirecTV Now + Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon (because I already have Prime) is going to be fine.

You really just have to look at what each one offers and weigh the cost that you're willing to live with.
Synopsis
For me it is Netflix, Hulu, Sling TV, and over the air broadcast TV. Of course that is the cheap route, and it does not fulfill all of my sports needs, but that's my current financial situation (bleak)...
flakrat
AG
For me the biggest issue is whether or not local channels are an issue.

It send that the bulk of the streaming services currently do not provide local streaming for all but the largest markets.

That's what is keeping me on the satellite for now, but I'm seriously considering switching to Vue
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
IslandAg76 said:

OK...What is the best, most comprehensive TV collection of stuff...Local news, major networks, good shows, some movies and sports-including all Aggie games.

I am eye glazed...Comcast, Direct TV, AT&T, Roku, Hulu, Apple TV, Tivo, Sling, WTF....how do you put this together?

I cut the cord in 2012. Things have gotten much better.
This is based on what we do ...mostly. We do not miss live TV at all.

You will want this regardless of anything else you do.
$30-60/mo == Get a 8-15 Mb cable connection

$50-100 == Roku on each TV (its what we use)
$30-100 == Over the Air antenna for main TV for Live ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX
============================================================
~ $250 upfront for 2 TV's Roku3's and an OTA antenna

$12/mo == NetFlix for movies, shows and original series
$8 /mo ($100/yr) == Amazon - mostly for Prime but has good movie rental/purchase and original series
$12/mo == Hulu w/o commercials for TV a few days late some original shows
$30-45/mo == PSVue (we like it better than Sling) Wife has her FoxNews. Bump up plan during football season to see Aggie game.
=============================================================
$62 - 77/mo == for almost everything you want to watch

IrishAg
LoudestWHOOP! said:

IslandAg76 said:

I cut the cord in 2012. Things have gotten much better.
This is based on what we do ...mostly. We do not miss live TV at all.

You will want this regardless of anything else you do.
$30-60/mo == Get a 8-15 Mb cable connection

$50-100 == Roku on each TV (its what we use)
$30-100 == Over the Air antenna for main TV for Live ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX
============================================================
~ $250 upfront for 2 TV's Roku3's and an OTA antenna

$12/mo == NetFlix for movies, shows and original series
$8 /mo ($100/yr) == Amazon - mostly for Prime but has good movie rental/purchase and original series
$12/mo == Hulu w/o commercials for TV a few days late some original shows
$30-45/mo == PSVue (we like it better than Sling) Wife has her FoxNews. Bump up plan during football season to see Aggie game.
=============================================================
$62 - 77/mo == for almost everything you want to watch

That's a good breakdown. Waiting for the Dallas market to get ABC on PSVue and then we'll probably make the switch from cable. ABC just sometimes goes to hell on the Over the Air antenna, so I need a backup plan. The nice thing about the eventual switch is that the TWC app is pretty nice on the Roku, so we've already made the move to them throughout the house (plus chromecasts here and there), so everyone already knows how to work them.
IslandAg76
AG
Thanks
What do you mean by 8-15 mb cable connection?
Is this for internet connection? Do you get it from cable or satellite?

Glad to learn which does what without going and buying one of everything.

TIVO is just for recording and storage--correct?
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
IslandAg76 said:

Thanks
What do you mean by 8-15 mb cable connection?
Is this for internet connection? Do you get it from cable or satellite?
You want a connection of at least 8Mb/sec (most streaming say it can run on less but you can probably get by with one of the 2 cheaper cable connection)
We use Grande cable out in Midland for 8Mbps at $40/mo.

Glad to learn which does what without going and buying one of everything.
You can turn on a Channel (like HBONow) watch all of GOTs or Westworld episodes then shut it down again.
A whole new way to watch. If you have the discipline to wait until all episodes are in you can really save on 10 episode series.

TIVO is just for recording and storage--correct?
I don't use a TIVO since I stream view everything. Others can help there.
Keep in mind that most channels have a free 1 week to 1 month preview to see what you like.
RoamingGnome
Cut the cord months ago and got Vue in Houston. We get all the local channels except CBS and all the sports channels I want to watch. Big advantage Vue has over Slingtv and DirectTV now is you can DVR shows you want to watch.

Im happy with the switch and saving a bunch of money on it. Only hiccup was when Vue lost Comedy Central and Nickelodeon suddenly.

agracer
AG
flakrat said:

For me the biggest issue is whether or not local channels are an issue.

It send that the bulk of the streaming services currently do not provide local streaming for all but the largest markets.

That's what is keeping me on the satellite for now, but I'm seriously considering switching to Vue
buy an antenna
Matsui
AG
You must have internet service to get streaming.
Jefe07
AG
I pay ~$130 for Xfinity TV and internet (2 set top boxes), which is the intro offer price. I think it's like $160 regular price.

So, if internet by itself is about $60, how is ~$70 a good deal for cord cutting? That's the same price as the Xfinity deal. The only benefit I see is not having to bicker for the intro price every 1-2 years. This way you don't have to compromise what and how you want to watch? You're then only paying extra for Netflix/Amazon if you want them.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Jefe07 said:

I pay ~$130 for Xfinity TV and internet (2 set top boxes), which is the intro offer price. I think it's like $160 regular price.

So, if internet by itself is about $60, how is ~$70 a good deal for cord cutting? That's the same price as the Xfinity deal. The only benefit I see is not having to bicker for the intro price every 1-2 years. This way you don't have to compromise what and how you want to watch? You're then only paying extra for Netflix/Amazon if you want them.
Here is what I paid last month in Midland, TX
$46.64 for 8mb Cable Internet from Grande
$12.98 for Netflix (4 streams)
$12.74 for Hulu (no-commercials)
$8.93 (107.17/yr) for Amazon Prime (free 2day shipping worth the $9)
$34.99 for PS Vue (For live news and sports)
---------------------------
$116.28 Total

When I made the switch in the fall of 2012, I had a $160/mo Cable and Internet bill and could never find anything to watch on Cable or record to the DVR.
As long as I am around $150/mo and am watching shows I like I am good with this style of viewing.
My First "Cable-cut" bill was around $60 for Internet plus Netflix and Hulu Plus.
They were the only things available at the time.

I do not like live TV except NCAAF and News channels. If I liked MLB, NHL and NBA it may be different.
I like streaming all of my shows. I don't care if I have to wait a week to watch something.
My family has spent more time together in front of the same TV at night.
I like being able to shut off or downgrade channels if not using them and turn them back on if I want to watch a series.

I do not mind this viewing style but it is not for everyone.
I for one am glad that I have the option to be able to view in this manner.
12thAngryMan
AG
Jefe07 said:

If you're getting PSVue ($30-50 depending on level), it seems like that covers 95% of what you get with the "basic" Xfinity TV package. So potential savings of $30 dollars a month for TV piece of the puzzle? The additional money spent on Netflix/Amazon/Hulu add-ons would be over and above that level of service IMO.
pikedawg
Brazzers + SlingTV

Around 50 bucks a month and it satisfies all your needs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.