DJI Mavik Pro

4,337 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
Premium
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are your thoughts?

https://www.dji.com/mobile/mavic

Entertaining review:

Pricing is around $1,000. There are some units out there now but mass shipments, if you order now, begin mid-January.
OasisMan
AG
looks allsome
clobby
AG
I want one.
redd38
AG
Cool drone, but that video was super annoying
Gramercy Riffs
AG
99% of his videos are
ABATTBQ11
AG
Tough call. DJI has been hit or miss for me since starting out with a Vision 2+ a couple of years ago. They can be really great, easy to fly, and full of great features, but... Their support sucks to the least, and their gimbles have not been the greatest. Too many have had a slight tilt and been miscalibrated from the factory with no way to recalibrate. They also don't survive well. The 4's look like they have some significant improvements with the U shaped armature though.

IME, they have great products but suffer from typical Chinese quality control.
DCJAG
Looks sweet. I have no experience with drones, but I want to build one. I might use a DJI flight controller.
SeenNotHeard
AG
You can absolutely calibrate the gimbal. I have the phantom 3pro and have calibrated the gimbal multiple times.
cr0wbar
AG
Very tempted to pre-order me this Mavic Pro. I'm a first time drone-er. Is that advised or should I start with a several $40 drones and crash and burn those effers first?
Premium
AG
cr0wbar said:

Very tempted to pre-order me this Mavic Pro. I'm a first time drone-er. Is that advised or should I start with a several $40 drones and crash and burn those effers first?

I'm essentially a 1st timer. Got a little wimpy Hubsan and it pretty much sucked being tiny and not very stable. Can't wait to try start with this one!
ABATTBQ11
AG
SeenNotHeard said:

You can absolutely calibrate the gimbal. I have the phantom 3pro and have calibrated the gimbal multiple times.

I've had more experience with their earlier models (P2, P2V+) and their stand alone gimbals (Zenmuse H3-3D). You can calibrate, but a lot of the tilt problems are not fixed by calibration. Not being able to trim it out might be a better explanation. You're 3-5 degrees off horizontal no matter what you do, and it's annoying as ****. No problems with the 3 Advanced.

I'm sure they've made leaps and bounds, but I'm always leary of their products. Every time I take off I wonder if this is the fly away flight. I also dug into their hardware with done other enthusiasts on the P2V+ and after really getting into it, it seemed somewhat cobbled together. Almost like it was a rushed to market before it was quite ready. Again, they've probably made a lot of progress since then, I'm just leary from past experience.
ABATTBQ11
AG
cr0wbar said:

Absolutely. These things kind of fly themselves, but they're not foolproof. You can get cocky real fast and find yourself in some expensive repairs. Fly something small, cheap, and unstabilized to get a good feel and respect for flying. I started out with a $50 variable pitch helo. After a couple months with that thing, quads were simple.
AgAttack
AG
Ordered one a month ago, still hasn't shipped.
RangerRick9211
AG
I ordered 09/29 and it delivered 11/09. Still frustrated with the bait-and-switch on 10/15 ship dates.

Also, I finally received mine and they announce the P4 Pro shipping immediately. Mavic over P4 was a no-brainer decision. But camera is just as important to me as form factor. Haven't even had my Mavic for a week and it's camera is last gen.

You can adjust gimbal rotation on the Mavic. But it's hard for me to gauge a level horizon. It's different up close versus objects at distance. I find myself adjusting it a lot mid-flight.

This is my first drone and first dive into video. In general, I'm loving everything about the Mavic. But I have no reference to judge it against.
aggieforester05
AG
Where'd you find a $50 variable pitch helo? I'd like to buy one, but they're $200+ on Amazon.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I have a DJI Phantom 1, super easy to fly and no issues. I'm sure this is awesome.
tamusc
AG
Wow, this drone looks awesome and the videos I've seen recorded from it are great.
aggiebq03+
Any update from people who have theirs yet?
Impression after owning and flying for a bit?

Really thinking about getting one of these. Partly for the fun of flying and partly for video recording. Seems like a good price overall for what you get and like how portable it is.
ABATTBQ11
AG
aggieforester05 said:

Where'd you find a $50 variable pitch helo? I'd like to buy one, but they're $200+ on Amazon.

Costco. It's a small one though. Maybe 8"-10". Really hard to trim and keep steady, but lots of fun because of the challenge.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Got to test a Phantom 4 recently. The forward facing sensors work quite well. I was impressed with it, though I was disappointed in the change in firmware updating. They've gone back to a computer based application instead of the drag and drop zip files. I guess it's nice for normal people, but I had to install it on a work computer. Not a big fan of needing a laptop if the app decides it needs a firmware update so bad it won't allow takeoff.

If you have the money to blow, it's a nice little uav. I'd love to get my hands on a 4 pro.
chigger
AG
Do y'all fly the minis indoors or out? I have pretty high ceilings in our living room, but it's still very confined. I figured that was part of the challenge. I've got one of the little Hubsan X4s but I've never bothered taking it outside.
ABATTBQ11
AG
chigger said:

Do y'all fly the minis indoors or out? I have pretty high ceilings in our living room, but it's still very confined. I figured that was part of the challenge. I've got one of the little Hubsan X4s but I've never bothered taking it outside.

Depends on weather. Any wind can make a mini just ridiculously hard to fly.
Endo Ag
AG
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/12/dji-mavic-pro-in-depth-review.html

Review from the most unbiased review in sports technology. A pretty strong thumbs up, despite a need to use the warranty in the first weeks.
AgAttack
AG
Mind just came. I've done a few easy flights so far, really impressed!

It's much easier to fly than the cheaper ones, but I'm glad I learned with those first.
HockeyAg07
AG
I finally got mine in the mail last week. I took it out to the lake for its first flight and was nervous as heck at first, but the Mavic really is easy to fly. I inched it around for a few minutes but in no time, I was flying quite high and far away. Soooooo much fun and the camera looks great. Here's a vid, if anyone is interested.

We are going skiing up in CO in a couple weeks, and I can't wait to take it flying up there.
OasisMan
AG
HockeyAg07 said:

We are going skiing up in CO in a couple weeks, and I can't wait to take it flying up there.
vid looks great

and i love the thought of the mavic as an action/travel drone
bjork
Awesome scenery.

Here's a quick edit for an Instagram post:

There are a lot of great LUTs out there for the Mavic. Art -1 -3 -3 is the standard color grading profile. I know DJI Go 4 nixed the Art profile, but Litchi still has it and there's a workaround to get a profile from Litchi into Go 4.

Also, every ski resort we've been to this year: Breck, Vail, Keystone and Whistler. Explicitly ban drones on their properties. My advice: rent snowshoes and hike to some cool scenery.
ABATTBQ11
AG
bjork said:

Awesome scenery.

Here's a quick edit for an Instagram post:

There are a lot of great LUTs out there for the Mavic. Art -1 -3 -3 is the standard color grading profile. I know DJI Go 4 nixed the Art profile, but Litchi still has it and there's a workaround to get a profile from Litchi into Go 4.

Also, every ski resort we've been to this year: Breck, Vail, Keystone and Whistler. Explicitly ban drones on their properties. My advice: rent snowshoes and hike to some cool scenery.

They can ban you from operating from their property, but they can't ban you from flying over it.
bjork
You're right. FAA regulates the airspace.

So, you're good if you can remotely launch and maintain the FAA rules:
  • Constant visual line of sight
  • <= 400' AGL
  • Not fly over groups of people
HockeyAg07
AG
Yeah I won't actually take it up on the slopes with us. I'll use the GoPros for that. But you'd best believe every scenic pullout and viewpoint will be thoroughly captured from the air. I'm thinking we are gonna snowshoe for a day to somewhere pretty and bring the mavic with us that day. It's so small and packable we will have t with us most everywhere we go.
ABATTBQ11
AG
bjork said:

You're right. FAA regulates the airspace.

So, you're good if you can remotely launch and maintain the FAA rules:
  • Constant visual line of sight
  • <= 400' AGL
  • Not fly over groups of people

Or, you could get a RPIC cert and operate under part 107. If you apply for and get a waiver, you could operate under that to loosen some restrictions. Granted, that relies on getting the waiver...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.